OpenTTD 14 Released!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kamnet

OpenTTD 14 Released!

Post by kamnet »

Welcome to 14.0!

OpenTTD’s first release was in March of 2004. Now twenty years later, we are proud to present to you: release 14.0.

And boy, what a release it is. Do I dare to say: this has been the biggest release yet?

Sometimes people try to tell us OpenTTD is dead. Well, 14.0 shows you it really isn’t. There are so many new goodies in 14.0, that I don’t even know where to start! Let’s go over a few, just to get you a feel for what to expect when you launch OpenTTD 14.0.

Read more about this major release! https://www.openttd.org/news/2024/04/13/openttd-14-0
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: OpenTTD 14 Released!

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

[claps]
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Wow. Reading about the new ship pathfinder, the road vehicle unbunching order, the social media integration, the changing date (and time) progression feature... I'm impressed. Last I looked, thought RoadTypes was enough of a revolution (even arguably the end of it, having seen the game from 13 years ago), I guess I was wrong.

Haven't had the game installed on this computer (after it was freshly re-installed like 2 years ago - though amazingly I still have the saves from like a whole decade ago along with all the ye olde manually-downloaded GRFs and whatnot XD), do people recommend downloading and installing it (semi-)manually like the old times or is installing from steam better ? As much as I'd like to reach deep inside the game files, I suppose cleaning some space on the computer (by not keeping all the old stuff I'd be too confused to figure to keep working on anyway) would be good... :mrgreen:
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I recommend using your operating system's package manager. If you're stuck with a deficient OS that doesn't have one out of the box, try using Homebrew or Chocolatey.
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

YNM wrote: 14 Apr 2024 13:58 do people recommend downloading and installing it (semi-)manually like the old times or is installing from steam better ?
If you have Steam and are happy using that, you might as well. It will keep the game updated automatically. :-)
odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2024 14:47 I recommend using your operating system's package manager.
Unless it's a "rolling release" operating system, that won't have 14.0 for a long time.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

peter1138 wrote: 14 Apr 2024 15:53If you have Steam and are happy using that, you might as well. It will keep the game updated automatically. :-)
It'd sure be a weird feeling to install a game from Steam yet barely using it but to update things :o Such be the change of times...
odisseus wrote: 14 Apr 2024 14:47If you're stuck with a deficient OS that doesn't have one out of the box, try using Homebrew or Chocolatey.
Well aware of the latter for Windows, am just wondering if there's a more official way of doing it (which I suppose Steam is one of them at this point).
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

There's no preferred way - use whatever makes you happiest.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

kamnet wrote: 14 Apr 2024 19:05 There's no preferred way - use whatever makes you happiest.
Or as we Gentooers say: "If it moves, compile it!"

This time I downloaded the zip archive rather than the xz, though :roll:

Thanks to the team for a wonderful release.

:bow: :bow: :bow:
kkidslogin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kkidslogin »

Wonderful! Big thank-you to the devs for these spectacular features. :bow:
Certified forum helper ©. Also active in the Scratch forums, where I have over 2300 posts as of the last count.

Played OpenTTD since 1.4.4 8)
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Been trying the new scaled time feature - really nice to see time marching at a slower pace while busily building. Used to build things when paused, I guess they're no more. Gonna need a while to figure out the best settings, though.

Can confirm the new ship pathfinder works excellently as well.

Installing from Steam, the game still reads my old game files in Document folder so... hurrah ?

Now, to find enough free time to actually play a game long enough and satisfying enough... :mrgreen:
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “General OpenTTD”