OpenTTD Crashes everytime I save

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Double_Oh_Four
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD Crashes everytime I save

Post by Double_Oh_Four »

Hi,

Every time I save the game crashes. Then after about 30 seconds Windows tells me the game is not responding and ask me to wait or close the game.

I have tried everything I can think of. I followed the standard installation process for Open TTD version 13.4 and only added the soundfx file and enabled that sound in game.

If I disable autosave I can play for as long as I want, but the second I manually save, the game freezes, and then crash.

Hope someone can help.

PS: I am running the game on Windows 11, version 13.4
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Crashes everytime I save

Post by jfs »

How long have you tried to wait, when Windows says the game is not responding? Try waiting for at least 2 minutes (120 seconds) before forcefully terminating it.

I'm guessing the game has not crashed as such, but rather is waiting for something to become ready/available, so it can finish saving.

Since you're on Windows 11, can you check if your Documents folder is synchronizing to OneDrive? That might affect things.

What you are experiencing here sounds like a hang (or freeze), which is not the same as a (hard) crash. A hang is when the program is waiting for something, which may or may not finish, and while it's waiting it then can't work on any other things, such as redrawing the screen or reacting to mouse clicks.
When a software developer talks about a crash, they typically mean that the program ran into an error or failure, which shows itself immediately, and very rarely involves freezing.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”