How to see a town's 'reach'?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pinstar
Engineer
Engineer

How to see a town's 'reach'?

Post by Pinstar »

I have a town with a few industries on its outskirts. Knowing that up to 5 stations can boost a town's growth rate, I'd like to place a station to service the industry in a way that ' counts' for the 5 station town growth metric. How can I see how far away a station can be placed and still count? If I can shuffle a station a few tiles to count for town growth while still being in range of the industry , I'd like to do that but I can't seem to find a way to see if it is close enough.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: How to see a town's 'reach'?

Post by _dp_ »

There is no way to tell in vanilla but if you use CityMania patchpack (https://citymania.org/downloads) you can enable Gear icon->Zoning->Town zones. Any station that has its sign tile within town zone 0 (white) or closer will count for town growth.
Screenshot from 2023-06-29 17-05-17.png
Screenshot from 2023-06-29 17-05-17.png (428.03 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

_dp_ wrote: 29 Jun 2023 13:06 There is no way to tell in vanilla but if you use CityMania patchpack (https://citymania.org/downloads) you can enable Gear icon->Zoning->Town zones. Any station that has its sign tile within town zone 0 (white) or closer will count for town growth.
Screenshot from 2023-06-29 17-05-17.png
Somebody needs to hammer on the devs to make this available in vanilla.
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

If someone who wants this feature opens a PR, nobody will need to get hammered on. ;)
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

2TallTyler wrote: 02 Jul 2023 13:43 If someone who wants this feature opens a PR, nobody will need to get hammered on. ;)
Yes, I need this feature. I would like to have a better understanding of the city's coverage when planting trees.
Additionally, I would like a two-way exit train depot(similar to a ship depot). It is reasonable and it would make my large train station construction more compact.
However, I don't know how to open a PR. Can you help me build one?
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

A Pull Request is how you request to have code changes merged into OpenTTD. It’s done on GitHub so you can Google it — but you need the modified game code first. I suggest checking out the README on the OpenTTD GitHub page for links to the Compiling and Contributing guides, as that’s where you’ll need to start.
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD

There is a contributor working on extended depots, although it’s a huge change so reviewing and merging code takes a significant amount of time. Here’s the main PR with the main thrust of the project. That’s too large to be reviewed so it is in the process of being broken up into smaller chunks which can be reviewed and merged more easily.
https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/8480
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

There is a similar feature in JGR's patchpack. It implements a button in the town autority window, that shows the autorities range. Looks not so nice like in the screenshot above but fullfills the same purpose.

Tschö, Auge
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello

As a supplement to my previous post, I would like to attach a screenshot of the mentioned feature from the JGR-patchpack. One has to open the town window and from there the window "Local authority" and then activating the "Zone" button. The then displayed grid shows the area, where players actions is influencing the town autority.
jgrpp-town-authority-area.png
jgrpp-town-authority-area.png (151.19 KiB) Viewed 1101 times
Tschö, Auge
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Auge wrote: 19 Jul 2023 11:01 Hello

As a supplement to my previous post, I would like to attach a screenshot of the mentioned feature from the JGR-patchpack. One has to open the town window and from there the window "Local authority" and then activating the "Zone" button. The then displayed grid shows the area, where players actions is influencing the town autority.

jgrpp-town-authority-area.png

Tschö, Auge
That's a different zone that has nothing to do with the town growth.
Also, that's vanilla feature, not just jgrpp.

Return to “General OpenTTD”