In defense of the toyland biome...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pinstar
Engineer
Engineer

In defense of the toyland biome...

Post by Pinstar »

I bit the bullet and started up a game on this much maligned biome. I'm happy to report it isn't quite as awful as its reputation would make it appear. The 'trees' aren't so bad when you just leave them see-through, the towns are charming and the vehicle selection decent.

The one thing I really ended up liking the most was the industry. Forget the whimsical nature of it for a moment, the structure lends itself to more network flexibility. You have 3 secondary industries, but each are fed by two different primary industries (and in the case of candy factories, 3 different primaries). This means you often have many more options for raw materials to feed a large and very productive secondary industry. I found myself practicing new builds for central hub stations and large-volume layouts when I had 1 candy factory being fed by 11 different raw material producers.

I honestly found myself liking the biome the more I played it. The only whimsical bit that still bothers me is the toffee quarry sound effect when it is on screen.

If you've never tried toyland, I'd suggest giving it a go, if only for the unique industry tree.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: In defense of the toyland biome...

Post by _dp_ »

Yeah, toyland is pretty good once you fix the graphics with newgrfs.
Pinstar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pinstar »

_dp_ wrote: 29 Jun 2023 13:11 Yeah, toyland is pretty good once you fix the graphics with newgrfs.
Which ones would you recommend?
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Toyland Temperate Replacement is the simplest one https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf/4a530ab2
BRIX is another option https://bananas.openttd.org/package/newgrf/56420505

Also can do some really fancy stuff by moving toyland industry chain into arctic like in this game:
https://citymania.org/static/server/sav ... 133850.sav
piratescooby
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by piratescooby »

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i'm somehow not convinced "toyland is a good biome, if you make it not look like toyland, and also not behave like toyland" is a good argument for toyland.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I think his argument is that Toyland has a complex cargo flow chart which leads to interesting supply networks. This argument is debatable (for one, all proceesing chains in Toyland have exactly two stages), but it is still a valid opinion. Personally, I agree that replacing just the graphics would make Toyland tolerable.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I credit Planetmaker for changing my mind about Toyland. No it's not my favorite because the graphics are garish, but it is a fairly challenging economy to conqueror.

Return to “General OpenTTD”