[CONCEPT] Locomotion sprites to OpenTTD 32-bit graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [CONCEPT] Locomotion sprites to OpenTTD 32-bit graphics

Post by Leanden »

Illegal_Alien wrote:If it has the same license as the BROS pack then no; This will brake my agreement with the original creators of these models. (In this case the MSTS models.)
BROS and Britrains are both GPL v2, the same as Openttd.
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

planetmaker wrote:What's the license of these models then?

(unless I can get a permission to publish under GPL, I can't show in grf form of what I made of these sprites)
This is the license i use: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ If this is a problem i cant continue and will withdraw.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

You can release a seperate GRF under that license, but it cannot be shipped with Britrains, BROS or Openttd.

It can however be released seperately as stated. So this would be the ideal solution, of course you couldn't use code from Britrains, BROS or Openttd, but you already stated you would code it yourself so i dont think this is a problem for you :)
Last edited by Leanden on 02 Mar 2012 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

nc could be accepted, but nd is simply stupid for community project
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Illegal_Alien wrote:
planetmaker wrote:What's the license of these models then?

(unless I can get a permission to publish under GPL, I can't show in grf form of what I made of these sprites)
This is the license i use: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ If this is a problem i cant continue and will withdraw.
Well. My idea was that they would make great 32bpp versions for the default OpenTTD trains. The one you showed here namely for the SH125 series MU and that's where I started to integrate those graphics in, both as test for these sprites and possibly excellent future use and public exposure to the community.

The code and the 8bpp graphics I work on are licensed under GPL and I'm not the only copyright holder. Thus it's also not in my hand to re-license anything of that. I can only accept graphics for the projects I work on which may be released under GPL v2.

It's the least trouble when working with a set of related NewGRFs, but worked on by different people. It allows to exchange code and graphics between projects, if needed. It ensures the set can be carried on by other people, should I be run over by a train tomorrow.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i hope you realize that "ND" means "nobody may make a GRF out of these sprites"
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

I understand the reasons why you want it licensed via GPL, but i have an agreement with the creaters of the models that i can use and modify and distribute them for Locomotion/OpenTTD, but they can not be used as base for other work. (I cant go around this sorry.) And i am the only one making the sprites.
Eddi wrote:i hope you realize that "ND" means "nobody may make a GRF out of these sprites"

Then this project cant continue. Thank you for your intrest and help.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Illegal_Alien wrote:I understand the reasons why you want it licensed via GPL, but i have an agreement with the creaters of the models that i can use and modify and distribute them for Locomotion/OpenTTD, but they can not be used as base for other work. (I cant go around this sorry.) And i am the only one making the sprites.
Well. Maybe make clear to the model makers that making a NewGRF out of a model means that making derivatives is a requirement...
It's very hard to judge when you may or may not use something under these kind of conditions. Isn't the model makers interest also to see their work put to good use and many people enjoying it, seeing it ingame?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Will try, but i doubt it will happen.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Even with ND, can Illegalalien not make a grf as long as he doesnt release the source code/sprites, and adds in the license that derivatives of his work are not permitted?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

If the permission to use the models is asked for something along the lines of "can I use this models to create content for Locomotion/OpenTTD". And the conclusion was "yes, as long as you license it CC-NC-ND", then this agreement includes adding any future code to get the models in the games.

So that allows to make a grf, and release it CC-NC-ND. And you're allowed to use NML for the codebase, even though that is GPL'ed.
However you're not allowed to use planetmaker's makefile system, the project will most likely not be accepted to be hosted at the devzone and the sprites cannot be included in the OpenGFX+trains.

But that's no reason to stop here. One can use NML perfectly fine without a makefile. And as the source will not be released, there's no reason to keep that at the devzone. So there's plenty of future for this project!
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Will look at the NML code but will take some time, but if thats done, and i have a working code, i can adapt it for further use. Distribution will be done via the same way i do with the Locomotion Objects. (Host it on the AMItrains website and my personal website here on TT-forums.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

From what Foobar says, you could actually use the Britrains code, but ship it as a seperate grf.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Leanden wrote:From what Foobar says, you could actually use the Britrains code, but ship it as a seperate grf.
No, he could not. Unless oberhumer, Eddi, myself, michi_cc and whoever committed code to CETS or Brittrains (both are GPL) agrees that it can also ber released under cc-by-nc-nd.

Foobar said correctly, that a completely separate NewGRF could be written from scratch, in NML (where NML as a tool itself is GPL-licensed, which is inconsequential for a license decision of NewGRFs generated with it).
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Currently working on how to create that NML to make the GRF, but the plan is to get something like this: (Photoshopped sprites of a VIRM wich is also used in Locomotion.)

But for then; i am out of here :)
Attachments
virmmockuppoenttd.png
virmmockuppoenttd.png (421.1 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Illegal_Alien wrote:Currently working on how to create that NML to make the GRF, but the plan is to get something like this: (Photoshopped sprites of a VIRM wich is also used in Locomotion.)

But for then; i am out of here :)
If you can make it to that scale it would actually look stunning!
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Illegal_Alien wrote:But for then; i am out of here :)
Does this mean you are not pursuing this project further? Or am i misunderstanding? :(
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

In short; yes i am abandoning the project for now. (Or a coder will help to create this with cc-by-nc-nd license; and asking all the modelmakers to release it with GPL will take months or even years.) If thats not the case i have to step back and take a long read. And think how to continue as it (i think) will give a big boost to 32 bits trains. (Currently i got permissions of the creators for Dutch (Including the RET trams/Metro`s), Belgium, UK, Norway, Sweden and some more countries; so i got a large library of trains to be used.)
Last edited by Illegal_Alien on 03 Mar 2012 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Leanden
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Leanden »

Illegal_Alien wrote:(Currently i got permissions of the creators for Dutch (Including the RET trams/Metro`s), Belgium, UK, Norway, Sweden and some more countries; so i got a large library of trains to be used.)
But presumably only with the cc-by-nc-nd license. There is no way the creators would allow for a different license?
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Nope as that would technicly make there creatings open for everyone and thats not "normal" in the MSTS scene where these models come from. I am allowed to change them but after that no-one as agreed with the original owner. So i am stuck with it. So you can have them with ND or not at all.

* Please note that this is what the owners want, and is not a personal opionion of me.

Return to “Graphics Development”