UI Niggles collection [WIP] [and fixes, once found]

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

UI Niggles collection [WIP] [and fixes, once found]

Post by Simons Mith »

I want to collect and organise whatever UI niggles I come across while playing the game.
All those little things where I think, 'wouldn't it be nice if...', then forget about it five minutes later.
Some of these will already have been fixed in NewGRFs and patches - I hope to collect those too and unite niggles with fix(es) or workarounds wherever possible. I also want to grade these issue by severity (minor/moderate/severe, almost all should be minor) and how easy it's likely to be to address them. I'm guessing the severities for now, at least.

This is very much a work in progress, and will remain so for many weeks. I haven't even determined what categories to use yet, so please don't anyone take it too seriously in the meantime.

1. Cargodist

1.1.0 problem (minor): The cargo flow overlay for the main game window is very helpful, except that when you have red in one direction and green in the other, which direction is which? [And why are there sometimes two lines, sometimes three? What does the middle line mean? Average?]
1.1.1 fix (minor): Directional indicators on the flow lines. Either arrowheads or a directional dashed line pattern could be used (------ -- - ------ -- -) If a dashed line was used, possibly the in-between colour could be cargo-coloured. [Note that to be directional, the dash pattern needs at least three asymmetric elements]

1.2.0 problem (minor): The Cargo Flow Legend window uses two-letter colour-coded boxes for each cargo type, and a company-coloured blob for each company. Hard to tell what some of these mean, especially if you're not familiar with the codes.
1.2.1 fix (minor): Hovering tooltips giving the full cargo name and full company name.

1.3.0 problem (minor): If you have two cargo lines of the same type (both Pax, say) which exactly overlap, it seems you can't tell what's going on in the overlapped route.
1.3.1 fix (moderate): Ability to display the cargo flows from a particular station, rather than for a particular cargo type.

1.4.0 problem (minor): Expanding and shrinking the cargo destinations in a station window is fiddly. Shouldn't this have a shortcut? Alt- or ctrl-click?
1.4.1 fix (minor): Add alt-click or ctrl-click or something as a shortcut to expand or collapse the destination tree - or is this already fixed?

2. Advanced Settings

2.1.0 problem (minor): Many of these settings are inconsistent. Sometimes you have to turn a checkbox on to disable something.
2.1.1 fix (minor): As it's within my skillset, I'm willing to go through the config settings and make them all inter-consistent. This should probably include embedding the default setting in the text. e.g.
e.g. Now:
Airports never expire: [x]
Forbid trains and ships from making 90 degree turns (On/off)

After (including splitting out some combo-settings, when/if the code supports it):

Airports expire (default On): [x]
Trains can make 90 degree turns (default On): [ ]
Ships can make 90 degree turns (default On): [ ]

2.2.0 problem (minor): Some settings are only accessible from an external cfg textfile. Even if they can't be altered, it would be nice to be able to see the settings in-game.
2.2.1 fix (minor): Provide at least a preview facility of the cfg settings.

2.3.0 problem (minor): Autosave is configured in game time rather than real time. That means it can be a nuisance at some points, yet still not save a lot of changes at the other.
2.3.1 fix (minor): Change autosave to save every 30 mins, hour, 2, 3 hrs, say, rather than setting a frequency in in-game months.

2.4.0 problem (minor): Why do we even have one type of airport that expires? Nothing else expires; not ship docks, not train depots, not trams. Why this sole exception?
2.4.1 fix (minor): Remove infrastructure expiry entirely.

3. Industries

3.1.0 problem (minor): Secondary industries give no indication whatsoever that they're about to close down until it's too late.
3.1.1 fix (vague): Better, or at the least /some/ feedback on the health of a secondary industry.
3.1.2 fix (minor): Change the text or display windows for secondary industries to indicate imminent closure. Done in 1.4.0-beta-1
3.1.3 fix (moderate to barely feasible): Random graphical hints that an industry is struggling. (boarded up windows, weeds/grass on paths, closed down furnaces, graffitti, less smoke from chimneys)
3.1.4 fix (moderate): Provide possible ways to reprieve an industry. These need not necessarily be 100% reliable.
3.1.5 fix (flavour): Indicate foundation date in industry window
3.1.6 fix (flavour): Adjustable default lifespans with more options between 'never expires' and 'could die after 15 months'. [TBC - I can't find documentaion of the game's precise behaviour at present.]

4. Towns

4.1.0 problem (minor, TBC): Town buildings - especially stadiums and churches - seem to change at a very high rate, causing lots of needless churn in cargo acceptance. [I'm not saying churches and stadiums change more than other building types, but they certainly change disproportionately often for such notable buildings.] For stations on the edge of a town you get regular 'Foo now accepts Goods'; 'Foo no longer accepts Goods' messages until the town grows sufficiently for acceptance to stabilise.
4.1.1 fix (minor): Reduce/make configurable the rate at which existing buildings are demolished and rebuilt. Possibly fixed buildings like stadiums and churches should stay for even longer.

4.2.0 problem (minor): Trees are almost a plague. Leave a map alone and in time it will be covered in trees. There are patches that reduce tree growth rate, but that merely delays the problem, and doesn't fix it.
4.2.1 fix (minor): Trees need to have a /death/ rate that is close to their birth rate. There may be newGRFs that do fix this properly.

5. Vehicles

5.1.0 problem (moderate): The vehicle orders UI is powerful but very fiddly, and is getting worse as it gets more powerful. Orders, which used to be short and sweet, can now include lines like 'Go non-stop to Geaby Industrial Park (Transfer and full load with auto-refit to available cargo) [near end].' Wow.
5.1.1 fix (moderate - severe): It's time for an overhaul. And I don't think it's just me, I think a consensus is building. Big and important subject, probably worth a separate thread.

5.2.0 problem (minor): If you just have a vehicle's orders window open (e.g. having closed all the others), there seems to be no way to jump to the vehicle itself. There's an exception if the vehicle shares orders with others, in which case you can click on the 'Shared orders of X vehicles' button and bring it (and all its cohorts) up in a separate window.
5.2.1 fix (minor): Remove the constraint that the clickable button to access the 'Shared orders' window is only active if several vehicles share the same order set. Retitle the shared orders window to 'Vehicle orders' or 'Vehicle orders (Shared with X vehicles)' to match the slight functionality change.

5.3.0 problem (minor): It seems there are always other useful ways to be able to sort vehicle lists. The two which I have just noted is sorting vehicles by group, and sorting vehicles with the same shared orders together. You can only access the latter if you can find a vehicle with the particular order set you want to copy/study. Extra ways to find these could be very helpful.
5.3.1 fix (moderate): Sorting the vehicle list so that vehicles with shared orders appear together is probably quite tricky.
5.3.1 fix (minor): Sorting vehicles by group name should be simpler...

5.4.0 problem (minor): Inconsistency: You can ctrl-click on a station name in a vehicle's orders and jump to that station. The same thing doesn't work in the timetable view.
5.4.1 fix (minor): apply the same Ctrl-click code in both places.

5.5.0 problem (minor): UI omission: When managing replacement of vehicles, you can see active replacements within the current group, but if you have a variety of vehicles you may have a large number of other replacements visible, including inactive ones that you can't turn off, even though they're complete, because you don't have the right vehicle group selected. This is because you can see all active replacements for all vehicle types present within that group, even if the replacement is actually set up elsewhere. Pester me for clarification if needed, but this part of the UI is quite hard even to describe!
5.5.1 fix (minor): Graphics adjustment: Active replacements within the current vehicle group use yellow curved arrows, as now. Completed replacements are grey, as now. Active replacements from a different group that are visible are dotted yellow arrows, say. Completed replacements from other groups are dotted grey.
5.5.2 fix (moderate): Ctrl-clicking on a 'replacement arrow' brings up the vehicle group to which it applies.
5.5.3 fix (moderate): Ctrl-clicking on the 'stop replacing' button forces that replacement to stop even if it wasn't set as part of the current group.

5.6.0 problem (minor): No undo on vehicle orders! A real pain if you accidentally wipe a complex order set!
5.6.1 fix (moderate): Not easy to implement, but would be very useful. A good candidate element for the orders UI overhaul!

5.7.0 problem (minor): Pathfinder related issue: The pathfinder's great, but it doesn't always update at points when it would be useful if it did update. For example, if you click on 'send to depot' while a vehicle is passing a depot and has already reserved its path, it will sail past the depot and go on its way. This is annoying and unexpected.
5.7.1 fix (minor): Could clicking on the 'go to depot' symbol also force a vehicle to re-reserve its route? Then it would be able to find a route to the depot it's right next to rather than setting off for the next one.
5.7.2 refinement (minor): In similar vein, could Ctrl-click on the 'turn around icon' be used to make a vehicle re-reserve its path? Handly when it gets confused while you're mucking about with one-way signals.

5.8.0 problem (minor): Another pathfinder-related issue: If you tell a train to go to the station it's currently at, it leaves, drives off in a loop goodness knows where, then comes back.
5.8.1 fix (minor): If a train is already at a station, and its next order tells it to go there, it should stay put! There are legit reasons you might want to have the same station twice in your orders.

This setup:

1. Service non-stop at Foo
2. Go to station Blah (Unload and take cargo with auto-refit to Ore)
3. Jump to order 6 when Load percentage is less than 90
4. Go to station Bleh (Unload and take cargo with auto-refit to Stuff)
5. Jump to order 1.
6. Go to depot Bar
7. Go to station Blah (Unload and leave empty)
8. Go to depot Bar (Stop)

What this does is go to station Blah and load what's there. If it ends up less than 90% full, it unloads again, goes to the depot and stops. But this requires a double depot trip, assuming depot Bar is the next nearest available stopping point. If you skip order 6., the train goes to station Blah twice in a row, and that causes the train to take a long journey out and back to somewhere just to unload. If you could do this instead:

3. Jump to order 6 when Load percentage is less than 90
5. Jump to order 1.
6. Go to station Blah (Unload and leave empty)
7. Go to depot Bar (Stop)

Then you could also do things like this:

3. Jump to order 2 when Load percentage is less than 75

Hey presto, a 'load 75%' order.

5.9.0 problem (minor): No UI feedback to indicate whether a 'large' aircraft is too large to land safely at small airports. This seems a bit unfair, given how expensive aircraft can be.
5.9.1 fix (minor): A warning in the vehicle information, and/or a new 'invalid orders' check that warns against it.

5.10.0 problem (minor): Click on a building as the destination of the order, and sometimes the UI will assume you meant you wanted to share orders with a vehicle in the same tile.
5.10.1 fix (minor): UI feedback - the mouse pointer changing to a vehicle or a building icon, would warn you.
5.10.2 fix (minor): A partial undo facility, so you could revert to previous orders and not lose the whole lot as the result of one mis-click
6. Labels

6.1.0 problem (minor): Station, depot, vehicle, label and group names can all be too short for some uses. Especially annoying when the default name, which is almost but not quite what you want, is already longer than the character limit for your custom name.
6.1.1 fix (moderate): Making labels 50-60 characters would help, but likely has wide-reaching effects throughtout the codebase.

6.2.0 problem (minor): A minor nuisance; there's no way to bulk-delete signs.
6.2.1 fix (minor)

6.3.0 problem (minor): Another possible UI omission: no way to clear all the text from a label. Although there's a good chance it's a shortcut I don't know about.
6.3.1 fix (minor): Fixed already: Not with a key shortcut, alas, but the back arrow symbol with a cross in it. I'd prefer a key shortcut personally, but that would be greedy.

6.4.0 problem (minor): Numpad enter key, Y U no work?
6.3.1 fix (minor):

7 Newspaper/Message history

7.1.0 problem (minor): The volume of messages was about right for a 256x256 map. For larger maps, it can become an unmanageable flood.
7.1.1 fix (moderate): Provide a new message type, containing a collected digest of multiple events into one entry: 'Production changes this month'; 'New industries under construction' and so forth.

7.2.0 problem (minor): Some vehicles aren't expected to make a profit. But if you have profit warnings turned on at all, they get mixed in with messages about vehicles you do care about.
7.2.1 fix (moderate): Ability to suppress profit warnings per vehicle, per group, by type or for losses under a certain size, or whatever other options are likely to be useful.

8. New vehicle cargo refits

8.1.0 problem (minor): When you want to buy a new vehicle to carry, say, stone, the default cargo type is probably coal. So you select a vehicle refittable to stone, but it will be supplied to you still fitted for coal.
8.1.1 fix (minor): When you buy a vehicle, it's supplied fitted according to your current cargo type filter, rather than always defaulting to coal. You could still get tripped up and buy a vehicle with the wrong loadout, but I think it would reduce the frequency at which this happens.

8.2.0 problem (minor): When you sort refittable vehicles by cargo capacity for a given cargo type, they're sorted in ascending capacity order for their default cargo, not for the cargo type selected.
8.2.1 fix (moderate): Display and sort by refitted capacities for the currently selected cargo type. Indicate the vehicle's default capacity for coal, goods, mail, pax or whatever as well as its refitted capacity for the current cargo type.

9. Map

9.1.0 problem (minor): You can make an industry flash by hovering over its name. You can't scroll over the map while it's in its flashing state. The flashing is really handy, but not being able to scroll at the same time kinda wastes it somewhat.
9.1.1 fix (minor): Three display modes for selected industries: On, off and flashing. 'Display all' and 'display none' would remain as now, but clicking on an industry name would cycle between three states.
9.1.2 refinement (minor): Why not make the same code available in the other map modes as well, so that the visibility of trees or rivers or lorry loading bays could be tweaked?

9.2.0 problem (minor): In 'Routes' mode, the map shows road, rail and buildings/industries. It does not distinguish between different road/rail types. Somewhere on my network I've got six tiles of non-electrified track. Finding it will take a considerable amount of time. The Routes map mode, which I very rarely use, would be ideal for displaying this kind of info.
9.2.1 fix (moderate): Expand the display options for the 'Routes' mode so that you can distinguish things like roads from tramways, one-way roads from two-way, different rail speeds, monorail, maglev, electrified/non-electrifed/third rail/third rail plus catenary and so on, depending on what permutations are available from one's NewGrfs. By default the current display is fine, but the ability to filter down would sometimes be very useful.

9.3.0 problem (minor): As per section 12.1, another area where catchment areas might logically (and usefully) be displayed is the game map.
9.3.1 fix (moderate)

10. Signals

10.1.0 problem (minor): If you want to convert signals from semaphore to electronic, AFAICS you have to click one signal at a time.
10.1.1 fix (moderate): The ability to drag a box over a large area and covert all signals in that area to their updated equivalent.
10.1.2 fix (minor): The ability to drag or ctrl-drag along a railway line and convert all signals along that line. Already done - partly - by Alt-drag

11. NewGrf info

11.1.0 problem (minor): This would mainly be useful to debugging reports - if you have a particular vehicle from a particular NewGrf, when you have many NewGRFs loaded it can be difficult to determine which NewGrf it came from. The same issue can (rarely) apply to terrain features and so forth.
11.1.1 fix (moderate): Expand the functionality of the ? query tool to indicate which NewGrf a tile/vehicle/anything comes from. Done for most tile-types already - some exceptions, e.g. NewGrf track types
11.1.2 fix (minor): Add the NewGRF source to the New Vehicle purchase window as part of the vehicle information.
11.1.3 fix (minor): Allow vehicles to be sortable by NewGrf, as they currently alrerady are by name, max speed, running cost and so forth.

11.2.0 problem (minor): There is very little indication that a NewGrf has configurable parameters, or that they have been changed from their default.
11.2.1 fix (minor): Mark adjustable NewGrfs with a + sign or icon or something in the game menu.
11.2.2 fix (minor): Mark adjusted NewGrfs (i.e. any changes from default) with a stronger symbol, such as a bold * sign or icon or something in the game menu.

11.3.0 problem (minor): Sometimes multiple versions of a NewGrf share the same display name. The game can keep track of which is which, but it's harder for users. The same issue also potentially applies to AIs and other scripts too.
11.3.1 fix (minor): Add a date or ID column so that there's some way to tell them apart. I'd prefer date, as it's a generally useful indicator for all NewGrfs. The internal IDs are machine-generated, I gather, and quite cryptic.

11.4.0 problem (minor): Sharing sets of NewGrfs generally relies on taking a screen grab, or sharing a scenario and a bit of trial and error to get all the right NewGrfs loaded. Particularly for scenario designers, a more precise way to indicate the preferred settings would be helpful.
11.4.1 fix (moderate): As a new download category, config sets. These are manifest files, as currently saved by the game, containing a list of NewGrfs and their config settings. These are currently stored inside openttd.cfg as [preset]s, and I really don't think that's the best place to keep them.

12. Stations

12.0 problem (minor): UI omission. Would sometimes be helpful if you could toggle display of station catchment areas, and indeed local town catchment areas and the radius of events like crashes and advertising campaigns, onto the main map.
12.1 fix (moderate): Add controls to do this in the info or visibility tool? Not entirely sure where. I also think there may already be a patch that does this...?

13. Game Windows

13.0 problem (minor): If a window is already open on-screen and you trigger an action that would reopen it, the existing window flashes and nothing else appears to happen. [I think this might be an unintended feature actually.] But the flash is very slight and easy to miss.
13.1 fix (minor): Reopening an already-open window makes it flash much more noticeably than now, so as to draw the eye to it.

Update: mid-Feb - after a flurry of update in Jan, the flow has recently slowed right down. Suggests I've hit most of the UI niggles that I've noticed in the past.
Last edited by Simons Mith on 17 Feb 2014 02:10, edited 25 times in total.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: UI Niggles collection [WIP] [and fixes, once found]

Post by Simons Mith »

[Reserved for expansion]
Last edited by Simons Mith on 20 Jan 2014 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

[Reserved for expansion...]
Last edited by Simons Mith on 14 Jan 2014 00:33, edited 1 time in total.
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by 3298 »

Simons Mith wrote:5.1 problem (moderate): The vehicle orders UI is powerful but very fiddly, and is getting worse as it gets more powerful. Orders, which used to be short and sweet, can now include lines like 'Go non-stop to Geaby Industrial Park (Transfer and full load with auto-refit to available cargo) [near end].' Wow.
5.2 fix (moderate - severe): It's time for an overhaul. And I don't think it's just me, I think a consensus is building. Big and important subject, probably worth a separate thread.
Yes, definitely worth a separate thread. Currently something that achieves part of your fix is hidden in an recent version of the patch I wrote as an alternative for adf88's faster order creation patch. You find the patch I mean at the end of the thread. In particular, one part shows the current order modifiers of the selected order on the buttons. Yes, the normal window does that as well, but not in all cases. (For example, the "Unload" dropdown only indicates whether the "Unload" modifier is chosen, with "Transfer" it doesn't change compared to the default "Unload if available". With the patch, the text would change to "Transfer" and the button would be pushed.)
Anyway, the entire thread is worth reading, especially adf88's mockup from Oct 2 looks like it goes in the direction you are aiming.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

1.1. alternative, draw the first 1/2 of the line in one colour, and the second 1/2 in the other colour?
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Simons Mith wrote:1.1 problem (minor): The cargo flow overlay for the main game window is very helpful, except that when you have red in one direction and green in the other, which direction is which? [And why are there sometimes two lines, sometimes three? What does the middle line mean? Average?]
The middle line is supposed to be the separator, I guess (as it's always grey-black). I guess they works like a right-hand traffic, so a line to the right of this separator means "go there / up", but a line to the left of the separator means "go here / down". Not sure though.
Simons Mith wrote:1.2 problem (minor): The Cargo Flow Legend window uses two-letter colour-coded boxes for each cargo type, and a company-coloured blob for each company. Hard to tell what some of these mean, especially if you're not familiar with the codes.
Those shortenings also used in the station list, mind you. I guess most are used to it.
Simons Mith wrote:1.3 problem (minor): If you have two cargo lines of the same type (both Pax, say) which exactly overlap, it seems you can't tell what's going on in the overlapped route.
If you mean that you can serve two station directly with two different vehicle type (ie. airplane and intercity train), I guess they're regarded as a single line ?
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Simons Mith wrote:[Reserved for expansion]
Changed to preserve future editability.
You can't edit your posts after 7 days (exception: the first post of the topic), so it is rather useless to reserve posts.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

@Transportman Oh. I thought provided I edited them within that week, they'd stay open indefinitely. Darn.

YNM wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:1.1 problem (minor): The cargo flow overlay for the main game window is very helpful, except that when you have red in one direction and green in the other, which direction is which? [And why are there sometimes two lines, sometimes three? What does the middle line mean? Average?]
The middle line is supposed to be the separator, I guess (as it's always grey-black). I guess they works like a right-hand traffic, so a line to the right of this separator means "go there / up", but a line to the left of the separator means "go here / down". Not sure though.
Does it change if you drive on the left? :-) Of course, I'm not saying there's no pattern, but it's quite a subtle one. Arrowheads or dashed lines would be much more obvious. And what's it mean when you only have two lines?

YNM wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:1.2 problem (minor): The Cargo Flow Legend window uses two-letter colour-coded boxes for each cargo type, and a company-coloured blob for each company. Hard to tell what some of these mean, especially if you're not familiar with the codes.
Those shortenings also used in the station list, mind you. I guess most are used to it.
Another place where similar tooltips would be helpful. Although I think there may be something else there already, actually. But in the station window there's also the sneaky 'AL' and NO' cargo types, which are nice big 'All' and 'None' buttons in the CargoDist window, but teeny tiny icons hiding at the end of the list on the station performance list. This is less of an issue for the main game, but for FIRS there's ~ two dozen cargo types, some of which I puzzle over even now, as they're not common cargos for me, and if I gave ECS another go I'd totally be back to noob status again.

YNM wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:1.3 problem (minor): If you have two cargo lines of the same type (both Pax, say) which exactly overlap, it seems you can't tell what's going on in the overlapped route.
If you mean that you can serve two station directly with two different vehicle type (ie. airplane and intercity train), I guess they're regarded as a single line ?
I meant four bus stations exactly in a straight line. ABCD with some buses just operating shuttles between B and C, A and C, and B and D. Things seem OK, but I've got no real idea what's going on under there... A-D does appear fine, if that's what I'm seeing. Maybe I am seeing A-B-C-D and it's A-D, A-C and B-D that are buried. It's really hard to tell. If the stations were in a square I'd have a nice cross shape with a border around it, indicating traffic flow in all twelve possible directions. Squash it into a straight line, and the clarity is lost.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Simons Mith wrote:(default On)
better keep that in the description, instead of cluttering the tree view... (IMHO)
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Transportman wrote:
Simons Mith wrote:[Reserved for expansion]
Changed to preserve future editability.
You can't edit your posts after 7 days (exception: the first post of the topic), so it is rather useless to reserve posts.
I think he realises that based on his edit. I can see him editing his posts every 6 or 7 days to keep them alive (I would think that works).
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

No, it's only the first 7 days after it's been posted, no matter how many times you edit it. Day 8 it will be locked.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

Only just spotted this as I don't look in "suggestions" too often.

A nice list of things there. A couple of ideas (I'm sure I'd have more if I had more time...)

4.2.1 Trees. Could it be possible to specify a limit of tree cover as a percentage of map size? A standard 256 square map has 65500 tiles (more or less). If it were possible to specify (say) a 10% tree coverage, then no more than 655 tiles would ever have a tree on them. I'm not sure whether players should be permitted to exceed that when trying to make towns more friendly.

9.2.1 Where it's currently possible to highlight infrastructure owned by compaies, it's not possible to see unowned roads...except by flicking between road/rail and company owned roads...which isn't very much fun. An extra company button for showing roads with no owner would be helpful.

5.x.x It might help to have an option to list vehicles that service 2 specific stations. I often build vehicles that go from A-B and other vehicles that go from A-C. I then decide I want to clone more copies of the vehicle going A-C...but there's no quick method to locate such a vehicle unless I check the orders...(There are usually buses or trucks everywhere!)

So, I need to find a vehicle that visits both station A and station C. Currently, the only way to do this is to list the vehicles that visit both stations and look for a match. A small window that allows me to specify two different stations and all vehicles that visit both could be listed would be brilliant.

I know I could use the vehicle group method and sometimes I do so but I tend to lump all vehicles with a cargo into the same group.
Tafidis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tafidis »

On trees:

Except the bad birth/death ratio, they also seem to grow too fast. I know some can grow faster than others, but in-game the pines grow to full size in a year?

Instead of limiting the amount of trees that are "plantable" by players, an equal amount of trees could be removed from other places on the map, keeping the coverage below the limit. After all, when planting full-grown trees (by clicking several times) they should come from somewhere, at least before 2050, when it will be possible to genetically engineer fully grown trees.

But nice set of suggestions there, Simons Mith. A thorough list, if I ever saw one
Citizens Celebrate! First train arrives in <insert your favourite town/station name here>!
Pascal Lambert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pascal Lambert »

Simons Mith wrote: 5.9.0 problem (minor): No UI feedback to indicate whether a 'large' aircraft is too large to land safely at small airports. This seems a bit unfair, given how expensive aircraft can be.
Maybe the "minimal safe runway lenght" is an idea for this.
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=70235

Pascal
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

Simons Mith wrote:2.1.0 problem (minor): Many of these settings are inconsistent. Sometimes you have to turn a checkbox on to disable something.
I'm a bit bored, could you provide a list?

I had a look myself, and I'm wondering about the wording of some of the settings - "Enable terraforming the tiles at the map borders: On" - it seems to me that the "Enable" and "On" together are redundant
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Simons Mith
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Simons Mith »

@LordAro Ah, well, depending on just how bored you are, you could get them all from the diffs in this thread: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... &p=1112715

I have been playing with those mucked-about text strings for a few weeks now to see if any nonsenses come out, but they seem broadly OK. However there's been a dip recently in how much I've been playing so I wanted a little bit more time before forging on with them.

Nevertheless I was close to splitting them up into grouped themes - tooltips, configuration text labels and 2-3 others so that they could actually be applied to the game. They can't possibly all go in, as I was experimenting (with new default station names for example) as well as copyediting. So, either feel free to help yourself, or give me an evening or two to organise my change-everything diff into more convenient chunks. Tue 1st / Wed 2nd hopefully.
AkwatiKata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AkwatiKata »

Simons Mith wrote: 12. Stations

12.0 problem (minor): UI omission. Would sometimes be helpful if you could toggle display of station catchment areas, and indeed local town catchment areas and the radius of events like crashes and advertising campaigns, onto the main map.
This! So is it possible (yet)?
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

AkwatiKata wrote:

Not in standard OpenTTD. There is a patch for it, and a few patch packs that includes this patch. I just don't know exactly which patch packs has this included.
AkwatiKata
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AkwatiKata »

Sylf wrote:
AkwatiKata wrote:

Not in standard OpenTTD. There is a patch for it, and a few patch packs that includes this patch. I just don't know exactly which patch packs has this included.
ooooh! must try that soon! Thanks
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Sylf wrote: There is a patch for it, and a few patch packs that includes this patch. I just don't know exactly which patch packs has this included.
JGRPP includes this patch.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”