more height levels patches scenarios with 1.5

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

gaga42
Engineer
Engineer

more height levels patches scenarios with 1.5

Post by gaga42 »

When "more height levels " patches were released (4 or 5 years ago?), I found that it was a good idea so I did some scenarios of highland countries of France from height maps. Thse scenarii are very accurate and needed a lot of work. Now, this functionnality ("more height levels ") is in official 1.5 version and I would like to share my scenarii with the community... but I cannot open them with 1.5 ("saved with a more recen version"...)
Is there a solution?
Thank you.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: more height levels patches scenarios with 1.5

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Can anyone tell me if the increase in height levels planned for 1.5 has altered the definitions of "Very flat","Flat","Hilly",and "Mountainous" in world-creation options,or whether the additional height is all on one side of that range?
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

gaga42 wrote:When "more height levels " patches were released (4 or 5 years ago?), I found that it was a good idea so I did some scenarios of highland countries of France from height maps. Thse scenarii are very accurate and needed a lot of work. Now, this functionnality ("more height levels ") is in official 1.5 version and I would like to share my scenarii with the community... but I cannot open them with 1.5 ("saved with a more recen version"...)
Is there a solution?
Thank you.
The version that is included in trunk as of this time is not save game compatible with previous implementations of the patch. You will either have to continue to use the version of patched OpenTTD that was used to create the scenarios, or recreate them under trunk, which I would advise holding off on until 1.5.0 is released as a stable version. While MHL is expected to be included, it may still be withdrawn due to some issues that were found late in the development cycle.
Baldy's Boss wrote:Can anyone tell me if the increase in height levels planned for 1.5 has altered the definitions of "Very flat","Flat","Hilly",and "Mountainous" in world-creation options,or whether the additional height is all on one side of that range?
You could always download the current beta and find out ;-)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Unless I have an answer I can live with I'm not downloading anything.
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

LOL

ROYALTY CUSTOMER DEMANDS EXPLANATIONS

XD XD XD XD

Your answer is EASILY answered just by downloading it and checking yourself. XD

You made my day.
ImageImageImage
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Baldy's Boss wrote:Unless I have an answer I can live with I'm not downloading anything.
Then I suppose you will go to your grave without ever having solved this great mystery, because nobody here, let alone me, owe you any answer at all.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

gaga42 wrote:but I cannot open them with 1.5 ("saved with a more recen version"...)
Is there a solution?
Thank you.
there are basically two ways of solving this, both are somewhat elaborative.

the first one you can do without any in-depth technical knowledge. you can load your scenarios in the old version that you created it in, and export the heightmap. then you load that heightmap into the new version. the elaborative part here is that you have to manually place every town, river, industry, ... that you had in your old scenario.

the second one needs quite a bit of knowledge about how the savegame format works, then you change the game loading data files (saveload.cpp, settings.ini, ...) to trick the new version into loading your old modified savegames, and hopefully produce a new savegame that is compatible with the official version. i cannot give you an estimate of how much work this would actually be, and it might not work at all.
gaga42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by gaga42 »

Thank you for your answers.
Eddi, I tried a little bit the "second way", but as my knowledge is very low, I just tried to change the version number in the scenario file: of course it did not work because of a bad checksum or something like that.
For the first way, it is easy do make a heightmap file (some minutes...), but making a good scenario (correcting wrong heights, especially in the valleys, building towns at the good place and so on) needs some hours, and I have several scenarii which I hope to share, with an official version of openttd...
If anyone has an idea...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

gaga42 wrote: For the first way, it is easy do make a heightmap file (some minutes...), but making a good scenario (correcting wrong heights, especially in the valleys, building towns at the good place and so on) needs some hours.
It is a reason, why I developed "reproducible map generation" patch, see sig.
Of course it cannot help with regeneration of existing old/broken scenario (unless somebody would make reverse path for export openttd entities to txt file), but protect new scenarios against compatibility issues.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

well, there is a concept about an extended heightmap format, that includes things like town locations or potentially road network, that would be independent from savegame version or NewGRFs used.

unfortunately not much actual work has been done for this.

Return to “General OpenTTD”