VTOL

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

VTOL

Post by ccomley »

Am I missing something? i've scrolled through the Online Content list a few times, but I see no additional helicopter or other vtol options beyond the helos in the basic aircraft set - you know, the ones that go out of production just when you'd quite like to use them to service oil rigs or something...

Seems to me that by 2255 or whatever, there'll be quite a few VTOL options for running into small towns and remote locations as well as the bulk airliners. (THat's assuming there's any air transport at all when we have finished burning all the oil! ;-)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: VTOL

Post by PikkaBird »

av8 / Aviator's Aircraft Set has a lot more helicopters (including futuristic helicopters which aren't strictly "helicopters", but VTOL aircraft and airships).
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

OT: we will never actually have "finished" burning all the oil. just that finding new sources of oil will get harder and harder, and the rate that it will be produced will plateau for a while and then start to drop. (it is currently widely debated whether we actually reached that plateau yet. i have not enough data to determine that)

eventually, the human energy consumption will be stabilizing at some fraction of the solar input power (nature uses at an order of 1%, so there is definitely some improvement to be had there). or mankind will die out.
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

PikkaBird wrote:av8 / Aviator's Aircraft Set has a lot more helicopters (including futuristic helicopters which aren't strictly "helicopters", but VTOL aircraft and airships).
Thanks!
ccomley
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ccomley »

Eddi wrote:OT: we will never actually have "finished" burning all the oil. just that finding new sources of oil will get harder and harder, and the rate that it will be produced will plateau for a while and then start to drop. (it is currently widely debated whether we actually reached that plateau yet. i have not enough data to determine that)

eventually, the human energy consumption will be stabilizing at some fraction of the solar input power (nature uses at an order of 1%, so there is definitely some improvement to be had there). or mankind will die out.
I daresay. But eventually, there will be so little left that it's impractical to extract it at ANY cost, and the first thing to go will be cheap air travel. And V8s. :-)
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Or everybody start driving electric induction vehicles, powered by far-off nuclear power plants.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Or maybe they'll go back to horse carriages, like my grandma believed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the earth's ecosystem can barely handle 7 mrd people, now you want to add 7 mrd horses as well?

if you ever have a chance to look how a 1900 city worked, you'd find they barely escaped a collapse with the advent of the automobile. horses s*** everywhere
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Eddi wrote:horses s*** everywhere
Cars do the same, only they do it in a gaseous phase and it spreads away from the street.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Dave

Post by Dave »

Have you just used the term milliard, Eddi!?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Dave wrote:Have you just used the term milliard, Eddi!?
That is what one thousand millions is called in civilised countries :)
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

leifbk wrote:
Dave wrote:Have you just used the term milliard, Eddi!?
That is what one thousand millions is called in civilised countries :)
Sometimes that's inadequate...http://www.put.com/A/bignumb.html
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

Massively off topic, but ...

George W. Bush once heard about a bus accident in South America, where "9 Brazilians were killed". After pondering this news item for a while, Dubya leaned over to his advisor and asked: "How much is one Brazillion, really?"

Return to “General OpenTTD”