Buses without profit

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

Buses without profit

Post by MoonKid »

I am quite in the future and have only the latest and most expensive bus available.

No one of them make profit. They all cost to much as they drive in.

I tried to modify a lot. More bus stations. Less buses on a line, etc.

Nothing help.

I would use a older cheaper bus. But they are not available.

How can I make the buses more profitable.

btw: It is nearly the same with the trucks.
kamnet

Re: Buses without profit

Post by kamnet »

What version of OpenTTD are you using? Are you playing with CargoDist enabled or disabled? Are you playing with inflation on or off? Are you using the buses as part of a feeder system?

Uploading a save game for somebody to look at may be more helpful.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Provide the savegame. There're lots of reason why your bus lines aren't profitable.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MoonKid »

openttd.sav
(1.97 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

1. to many bus stops in suburbs, buses are empty
2. use "go to non-stop" instead of "go to"
2. next time, switch inflation off
3. next time, in cargodist options, turn for passengers "automatic" and enjoy buses as a real feeder system for airports and train stations
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Did you play with inflation on? After a long period of time, the expense may outweigh the income.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MoonKid »

McZapkie wrote:1. to many bus stops in suburbs, buses are empty
I want the city to grow. Thats why I set stops there.
McZapkie wrote:2. use "go to non-stop" instead of "go to"
Mhm... But I want to stop and (un)load on each stop they reach or it is on their way no matter if it is on there plan.
McZapkie wrote:2. next time, switch inflation off
Ok.
McZapkie wrote:3. next time, in cargodist options, turn for passengers "automatic" and enjoy buses as a real feeder system for airports and train stations
There is no automatic. It is manual, symetric or asymetric.

I will try your tips...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

MoonKid wrote: Mhm... But I want to stop and (un)load on each stop they reach or it is on their way no matter if it is on there plan.
Well, it is your choice, to have profitable transport or to develop city by subventions to city transport.

Ps. "automatic" means "not manual" option for cargodist. In case of manual, you need to force passengers to to change means of transport,
in other case they will totally load/unload at each stop.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

To grow towns, you should deliver goods and/or foods to town, you know :wink:
The game determines where the town will grow !
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
MoonKid
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MoonKid »

So the effect of the inflation (hight bus-running-costs) is not reversible? So in the current state I think there is no way to make my buses profitable again.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

MoonKid wrote:So the effect of the inflation (hight bus-running-costs) is not reversible? So in the current state I think there is no way to make my buses profitable again.
Sadly not, disabling inflation doesn't undo the inflation that has already occured. I would love for the devs to add a 'reseteconomy' or similar to the console, to allow people who've made this mistake fix it, similar to the 'resetengines'.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

How would this work?

You have been given more money that you used for buying something. Depending on how long ago you bought it, the amount of money you have to pay to correct the inflation, changes.
Even if you bought something, used it a while, then sold it again, you still need to pay money, since the inflation during the time that you used it has risen, thus you got more money back for it, than you would have without inflation.

In other words, a true "reset-inflation" means that a record has to be kept for each thing (ie each tile of track, and each signal, etc) that you ever in the game bought or sold.
Even if this was feasible, you might not have enough money to pay for it all. What should happen then? You go bankrupt?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Alberth wrote: Even if this was feasible, you might not have enough money to pay for it all. What should happen then? You go bankrupt?
It was my goal that it would simply undo the inflation changes, and reset it back to how it would have been at game start, not refund everything. Just reset current things back to how they were to start with, refunding everything is unfeasible.

Simply resetting the inflated values of upkeeps / pricing etc, would undo the inflation sufficiently to aid people who have fallen into the inflation making everything damned hard trap.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

wouldn't it be easier to just use the money cheat instead of messing with stuff that may have weird side effects (NewGRF stuff)?

Return to “General OpenTTD”