OpenTTD Needs a new name

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Needs a new name

Post by Yexo »

insulfrog wrote:Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
There is no game by that name because the name "Transport Tycoon Deluxe" is trademarked.
deamonhunter11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by deamonhunter11 »

Yexo wrote:
insulfrog wrote:Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
There is no game by that name because the name "Transport Tycoon Deluxe" is trademarked.
We know it is that but ours is OpenTTD for legal reasons right :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

That's what Yexo's just said.

OpenTTD is NOT "short" for Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe as that name is trademarked as has been mentioned.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

what we should try is changing "OPEN TTD" to OpenTTD in start screen: ;-)
AppliArt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AppliArt »

I was thinking of a major overhaul of the start screen, but i don't know if that's possible.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

AppliArt wrote:I was thinking of a major overhaul of the start screen, but i don't know if that's possible.
It's possible.

It's even needed IMHO. I even have some idea and plans to work towards that: most of the game config buttons need to go to the new game dialogue(s).

EDIT: Maybe... but I'm not convinced. It looks... strange and a bit out-of-proportion. Please come with good designs, and may them only be mock-ups.
Attachments
new, leaner main menu?
new, leaner main menu?
mainmenu.png.png (185.63 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
AppliArt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AppliArt »

i was thinking of some things, but that will be aftee my well-deserved vacation!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I don't think the landscape selection buttons need to be on the main menu.

TerraGenesis has his own on the landscape settings dialog. I don't know about the old terrain generator, but that one could get it's own dialog as well, obviously with less settings.

Furthermore I liked the tabbed menu that andy showed quite a lot. That by itself could serve as main menu just fine!
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Maybe you didn't get the difference to the existing title?

Here a comparision:
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

FooBar wrote: Furthermore I liked the tabbed menu that andy showed quite a lot. That by itself could serve as main menu just fine!
Let's move the discussion to the GUI rework thread (again). Besides andy didn't show a main menu but a "new game menu" targeted at something like http://bugs.openttd.org/task/3826
Conceptually it's not desirable to have all settings required for a new game scattered as now, thrown together with all stuff which has nothing to do with creating a new game.

EDIT: seems we only discussed it in IRC and partially hijacked the NewGRF gui thread... so no thread in this forum on that topic so far :-)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Ammler wrote:Maybe you didn't get the difference to the existing title?
Sorry Ammler. I thought you decreased the size of the small-caps letters, but you increased the size of the capital letters :P

Anyways, I like it. Maybe even use real lower case letters for the "pen", as that might look even better. So yes, I like it :D

@planetmaker:
I had a look at andy's menu again, and it indeed is more a game settings menu. I had it a bit different in mind, but now that I looked again I don't really see that it can serve as main menu. That would only clutter it. But yes, a "new main menu" topic might be in order to gather some ideas. I'll think about it during my exam this afternoon, that's about trains as well.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

The main issue now is the space between OPEN and TTD, which might get people to think, that Open TTD="Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe", but OpenTTD is one word nothing less, nothing more.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Indeed you're right. Never noticed that before.

So yes, let's change the name, from OPEN TTD to OpenTTD!
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

I did start work a while ago for the splash / start screen (unfinished). This was mostly to figure out the minimum number of buttons needed (with planetmaker's aid)

I don't like this version without the climate buttons. From a usability / plain old logic point of view they aren't strictly necessary, but I don't really care. They're part of OpenTTD, and they make it look more inviting to start playing. The climate buttons should stay.
Attachments
splash.png
splash.png (458.21 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Last edited by andythenorth on 02 Jul 2010 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

The climate buttons should not be removed.
Besides not looking very pleasing,
CTRL + New Game = random game in chosen climate. (skipping the next screen.)
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
openttd_rulez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by openttd_rulez »

em... we are talking about the name, not the start screen. Go make a new thread for that if you want to. Climate button should stay 'caus they are very attractive.
Signature last edited by OPENTTD_RULEZ, edited Image times in total.

ImageImage
ImageImage
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

The thread is meant to die. Besides, a majority says that OpenTTD should prevail, so as your name suggests.
Please don't bump it.
And may I request locking this thread, please?
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Lots of people are saying "transport tycoon" or "transport tycoon deluxe" are trademarked. Did they go looking?

Because it doesn't appear to be a registered trademark in the UK: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/tm/t-find/t-find- ... fault.aspx
And even if they had registered it, it would have expired after 10 years unless renewed which it doesn't appear to have been. There are 46 "tycoon" trademarks in the UK but none are for TT or TTD.

"Transport tycoon" is registered in the USA - http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f= ... nh086f.3.1 - and seems to be currently "live".
"Transport tycoon deluxe" does not seem to be registered in the US.

As a Brit I am therefore quite happy to say "open transport tycoon deluxe" - I'm not subject to US trademark law after all and I don't think the OTTD project is either.

-------------

As to renaming... Well the name isn't as unforunate as "GIMP", but it is just as undescriptive. This is a common problem with Open Source stuff - the names aren't descriptive of what the program is or even remotely indicative (except that something is Open or runs under G(nome) or K(DE). There's not even an indication that it might be a game in the title.
Echo51
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Echo51 »

Moriarty wrote: As a Brit I am therefore quite happy to say "open transport tycoon deluxe" - I'm not subject to US trademark law after all and I don't think the OTTD project is either.

So techinically you could pirate anything not trademarked in the UK legally..., or is that the copyright?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Echo51 wrote:
Moriarty wrote: As a Brit I am therefore quite happy to say "open transport tycoon deluxe" - I'm not subject to US trademark law after all and I don't think the OTTD project is either.

So techinically you could pirate anything not trademarked in the UK legally..., or is that the copyright?
Trademarked name != Copyright.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “General OpenTTD”