OpenTTD Comic style set (32 bpp)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

OpenTTD Comic style set (32 bpp)

Post by prissi »

What happened so far?
Since in the simutrans section pak96.comic was introduced, people asked, if it could be possible to reuse the graphics for OpenTTD comic set. Since Simutrans grf (pak) system is much much easier than OpenTTD grf system and furthermore the simutrans people are mostly simutrans only player, it was agreed that the simutrans community (i.e. Alexander Brose) provide the rescaled images but any work for incorporation into a grf-set must be done by the OpenTTD community.

The best way to get an idea of the graphics, would be to have a look at the simutrans sections pak96-topic (https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40304)

The following images have been converted to 64x64 pixel size (all copyright by Alexander Brose) and are just waiting for a coder.

Imho these building do not fit very well with the surrounding of the 8 bit OpenTTD graphics and woudl need some less dithered landscape too. (Again see the above link.)

I like to look at great maps and see how things flow. A little like a finished model railway, but it is evolving and actually never finished. http://www.simutrans.com
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OpenTTD Comic style set (32 bpp)

Post by Purno »

Looks very good! Good job! :bow:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

I can try to code them if you want? I am still in my early days of coding, but I guess that I could give it a go.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Give it a go :) At best you create a great new town newgrf and learn a lot, at worst, you waste a lot of (your) time without result - quite unlikely that you'll have no result and learnt nothing, though ;)

Keeping fingers crossed,
pm
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I really like it. Highly detailed, without too much texture. The outlining really helps.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Bennythen00b wrote:I can try to code them if you want? I am still in my early days of coding, but I guess that I could give it a go.
Note that you need to use pngcodec for these, not grfcodec. These are 32bpp graphics and thus not accepted by grfcodec.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Well, 32bit graphics can be automatically converted to 8bit graphics with proper pallette (you have target pallette, you have 2 source images (image + mask), producing target image is then quite easy (copy mask image, for pixels not in mask copy from 32bit GFX, picking nearest color) :). There will be some loss of quality, though ....

As for the set - I think it is a good idea, though it is quite large project (you need to draw basically all the graphics to get some consistent look)

Maybe this can become basic graphics set along with OpenGFX one day ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

(note: this post was directed at XeryusTC; Bilbo posted inbetween)

Still, it would need an underlying newgrf (maybe with only placeholder graphics, or 8bpp palette applied to the sprites), unless you'd want to just replace default houses with those sprites. Which would be completely the wrong way to go imo. For example, the 2x2 houses could not be included (there are no 2x2 houses in default houses to replace).
Last edited by Roujin on 16 Apr 2009 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Also, newhouses does feature a nice little thing that forces the building to face a road, used in Pikkabird's Suburban renewal, which would be good for the buildings with car parks.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Roujin wrote:(note: this post was directed at XeryusTC; Bilbo posted inbetween)

Still, it would need an underlying newgrf (maybe with only placeholder graphics, or 8bpp palette applied to the sprites), unless you'd want to just replace default houses with those sprites. Which would be completely the wrong way to go imo. For example, the 2x2 houses could not be included (there are no 2x2 houses in default houses to replace).
Personally I would like to see this become some kind of base graphics although I also would like it to be a more complicated (behaviour wise) set. The problem with the latter is that it will look out of place with any other graphics set though. If it would just be for replacing buildings then it would also have to replace the landscape to make it look as a single whole. And that would require replacing the rails etc too, basicly you would end up with replacing almost all stationary objects (including animated stuff like explosions) and maybe big moving objects (like ships and planes).
Maybe the best thing to do would be a complete replacement set with additional newhouses enabled houses but that would require loads of sprites and A LOT of effort from the community and I don't think that will happen very quickly with both an 8bpp replacement and a rendered 32bpp replacement going on.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

This should definitely be made as a base graphics set (like OpenGFX). This will of course take time, but if it's done the right way it will probably motivate people to continue with it.

The proper order IMO would be to begin with only one climate, do the ground tiles, then the houses, then the industries, and then all the vehicles. Then do that as well for the other climates.

Once that is done, we can add some more features and some more graphics.

I really hope this project will work, I downloaded simutrans just for the pleasure of playing with these graphics.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Hmm ... that arises one question - is NewGRF able to detect which base set (default, opengfx, comic ....) is running and then offer graphics based on that? So NewGRF can detect that "comic style" is used and it will load alternative set of sprites drawn to match the style ....
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

that is not necessary. If the newgrf creators want to add support for the comic set, they will have to add the adequate sprites to their grf and add a parameter to allow switching the graphics. Of course this will mean a lot of work for the existing grfs... But OTOH, all sets do not have to fit with the comic style, new ones can be created just for that.
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

Hah.. "If there is a rock you can't lift, you better leave it.
Sorry, but I'll need something easier to code to begin with.
2006TTD
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2006TTD »

They look great! Should fit them in toyland.
Face the fearful with no fear, and its fearfulness disappears.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

if there is a rock you cannot lift, find better leverage ^^

great work there, i love the style ;-)
Last edited by dihedral on 17 Apr 2009 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Woo! I have longed for some kind of comic-style set for OpenTTD ever since I saw the Simutrans one, and those graphics are brilliant! I shall help in any way I can!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Bilbo wrote:is NewGRF able to detect which base set (default, opengfx, comic ....) is running and then offer graphics based on that?
No, NewGRF cannot do that, as that would cause desyncs in multiplayer if players use different base sets...

Anyways, I would be interested in a complete comic base graphics set. Due to FIRS and OpenGFX still not being finished, I'm not able to help. I can always be consulted for advice on creating a base graphics set though for instance if you would like to know how we did things with OpenGFX.
The biggest problem we ran into with OpenGFX was the license. Please be smart and decide a license before work on the project starts!
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Well, I'm not sure this needs to go into a base graphics set. I think it would be just as worthwhile to make it into a set of newgrfs like the japan set newgrfs which, all combined, add up to a very scenic and atmospheric landscape.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

About the NewGrf vs. Base Graphics issue, I'd say that's not an issue until there are enough sprites for a base graphics set. And fitting sprites! e.g. the 2x2 are not usable for a base graphics set, and a theater should be replaced with a theater in comic style, not something else in comic style. This also means the creator of these nice pieces of art will have to look at the original sprites of OpenTTD, to see which kind of buildings are needed, if he wishes this to become a base graphics set.

On the other hand, a NewGrf can be coded with only the sprites finished until now, steadily growing. And allowing additional features like orientation control (always facing road side). And allowing the 2x2 buildings already drawn.

---
So my suggestion is to create a newgrf for now, and once there are enough sprites, it can still be made into a base graphics set.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”