Stop using CGTextures

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Stop using CGTextures

Post by Varivar »

The first tropical city building has been converted to free textures :)

The textures are derivative textures from burningwell.org or own pictures. These textures are all public domain, so you are free to use them for whatever you want. I release the 3D model and sprites under GPL, as long as I get credited (GPL with attribution). I don't want people copying these sprites for their own projects without giving credits for the originals.

I will upload the Blender file to Jupix' repo, since it's too big.
Attachments
Left is old and nonfree, right is new and free
Left is old and nonfree, right is new and free
4610_compare.png (221.38 KiB) Viewed 2498 times
tropical-flat-4-free.zip
Tropical flat #4 with construction stages
(256.3 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

If you could upload all the files to the repo, that would make things much easier :) (they don't have to be in the standard tar format, but it'd probably help :) )
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

How does a tar help? For coding it will need unpacking anyway... Attaching the single files is what I personally would prefer if I code stuff.
Lord Aro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lord Aro »

I just spotted this on the wiki, was placed there by athanasios:
When asked: "If we do not redistribute your textures (materials) but instead along with the the model(s) and rendered sprite(s) we created include a link to your website for your textures we used can we use them in Open Source projects? Or are even those models and rendered sprites considered derivatives and incompatible with Open Source Licenses?",

Marcel Vijfwinkel of CGTextures replied: "If I understand correctly, you want to redistribute a sprite (2D image) only? And you used images from CGTextures to render this sprite. Since you are not redistributing the textures itself, and you are redistributing a completed work (ie. not something used to create a new artwork like a texture or clipart) this is fine."
I would just like to say that, while this may be true, to be in accordance with GPLv2, we would have to distribute/provide the textures as sources
AroAI - A really feeble attempt at an AI

It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. --Edsger Dijkstra
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Lord Aro wrote:I would just like to say that, while this may be true, to be in accordance with GPLv2, we would have to distribute/provide the textures as sources
True, so I will continue replacing textures. At least we know know that the goods and paperworks factory sprites are legel, so there's no need to worry about lawsuits and stuff like that :wink:
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I can try to fix the current sprites, but I will release a TAR file with PNG sprites.

If You prefer, I can release "uncoded" PNG sprites with the offsets in a text file. Do You prefer this?
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

maquinista wrote:I can try to fix the current sprites, but I will release a TAR file with PNG sprites.

If You prefer, I can release "uncoded" PNG sprites with the offsets in a text file. Do You prefer this?
If you ask me: yes, I prefer png sprites and the needed offsets in a text file. That's what I'd need for putting it in a grf.

A pngcodec'ed tar would need unpacking, trying to retrieve the offsets from the png (no idea how), noting them down and then only coding it as a grf.
Jupix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Jupix »

tbh uploading stuff to my namesake repo does not make much sense any more. Better to just create a ticket for the entry at the respective ogfx+ project ticket tracker. That way one extra step is eliminated and assuming the content is of good quality, it goes straight in game.
#################
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

Ok, I will upload my PNG files here.
I'm not familiarised with repositories.

The sprites could be modified easily if It the building model is rendered with the same position and angle.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Please also upload the blender file :-) And posting them there is basically the same as making a posting here. Just different page.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

maquinista wrote:Ok, I will upload my PNG files here.
I'm not familiarised with repositories.

The sprites could be modified easily if It the building model is rendered with the same position and angle.
The position and angle of the renders stays the same, so you could use the old offsets.

I have a question about the GPL license:
Does GPLv2 force people to give me attribution if they re-use or modify the graphics for their own projects? I can't find a clear answer at the GNU GPL website.
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

From section 1:
...provided that you conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an appropriate copyright notice...
This copyright notice is the attribution, as it always includes the name of the author(s). It's best if you put such a notice in/on the file yourself before you release it.
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Thanks for clearing that up :)

The sources for tropical building #4 have been added to Jupix' repo, including the 3d model, all construction stages, textures and a license file. The sprites are not coded yet.

I updated the textures for tropical building #1 as well, see attachment for the uncoded sprites. The source can be found at Jupix' repo.
Attachments
Tropical building #1 with new textures
Tropical building #1 with new textures
4603_z0.png (117.33 KiB) Viewed 2187 times
trop1-sprites.zip
Uncoded sprites
(274.08 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

I have coded the sprites, they can be used in the previous version of OpenTTD.
Also, I have included a text file with offsets. It could be used to code the "new-new-GRF" file with 32 bpp sprites.
If You Want, I can try to provide 8 bpp extra zoom sprites.

Also, I have made the sprites for "Better houses" GRF file. Most of the tropical houses doesn't have a ground sprite. This looks bad when the cursor is placed over the building and when there are grass around it. Better houses tries to fix it. Also, I have added in some houses some variations (flower colours, buildings without antennas), but They doesn't work well.
The problem is that the TAR+GRF file only works with the previous version. :( I can upload the file in a external server, It's size is 5 mb and the file with sources is 30 mb.
Attachments
Varivar_tropical_coded_sprites.rar
Coded sprites.
(816.9 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
better_houses_example.JPG
Comparative Screenshot. Also, sometimes I have added a new construction stage.
(290 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Varivar
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Varivar »

Thanks for conding, Maquinista :D I'm sure the offsets will be usefull in the future.

I have upadted some more buildings, namely the goods factory and tropical city building #3. I will upload the sprites and sources when I get home, I don't have acces to them right now.

If anyone feels like coding them for the new future 32bpp format, please do so and let me know which files you need (8bpp version, zoom levels etc.)

Return to “Graphics Development”