Locomotion on MAC via Winebottler/Wine etc.

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Locomotion on MAC via Winebottler/Wine etc.

Post by sshy »

Hi I'm new and I'm not too sure if this is in the right topic area, but I have a question I would like to ask. (Apology in advance).

I was wondering if anybody has successfully installed a legitimate (or illegitimate even...) version of Locomotion onto their mac OSX machine via WineBottler or any other similar application.

I really want to play this game sooo badly! I was so close to just buying it straight away off the Atari website and taking my chances with Wine, but decided to check first.
If anyone could give me advice particularly specific to the Atari online-download version relating to whether it works on mac via Winebottler, that would be great!

Kindest.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Locomotion on MAC via Winebottler/Wine etc.

Post by Plastikman »

Welcome to the Forums.
You really should try the search function. This has been covered a few times.
I know it works in wine on Ubuntu If you use a no CD version of lomo. I'm unsure of the download version.
I'm also unsure of the OSX flavor of wine.
I bet this has been answered already

I have run Lomo without any issues on my 2010 Mac Mini using Boot Camp to dual boot into Win 7. I have not tried Wine or VMware.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Hi Plastikman, thanks for the reply.

I did perform a search and did find one relevant thread, but there was a lot I did not understand and unfortunately didn't lead me to a solution.

I know that if the Atari online-download is just an extractable archive file with all the relevant components of the game, it will technically work with Winebottler. But I'm thinking that the download will probably contain an installation .exe, which I'm not sure how deep WineBottler will go in sorting out windows stuff, going as far as to performing an installation... I don't know. It's a tad confusing.

I guess if anyone has ever downloaded the ATARI online-download version and could fill me in on what the download package contains, that could partially answer my question.

Alternatively, what is a no-CD version? and where could I acquire one?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

sshy wrote:Alternatively, what is a no-CD version? and where could I acquire one?
I know that wine has/had issues in the past with secuROM. A no-CD version bypasses the checking for the CD in the drive on start-up to bypass copy protection.
It is widely used by legitimate owners to play on systems without CD drivers (like net-tops/net-books/laptops) and on other OS's. some of us also prefer it over busting out our CD every time we play the game. After all, that's how the disks get scratched, lost and ruined.

There are 2 flavors of this.
1 is a very rare multilanguage release from a 3rd party licenced by Atari that is prepatched with the updates (possibly a one pressing limited edition only in Germany).
2 is a hacked version of the EXE.

The second flavor is not supported or linked to on these forums for legal reasons.
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

OK.
You got me curious. I decided to give it a try.
I had much better success with wineskin. but I did try both.
I selected wineskin over winebottler since wineskin has gaming in mind and was much easier to set up and add mods to.
You can use the wineskin debug mode to add mods rather quickly.

I was able to get Lomo installed and playing in about 15 min from start to finish. The longest part was patching wineskin.

My end results was a very playable version of lomo. I did NOT get into to HUGE complex networks in the short test. There is still the possibility of lag under those situations. That would require further testing
The VM window was smooth with the mouse and i could do background stuff while i played.

Installing Mod packs was a minor challenge, but doable (note I'm playing the DK UP pack on Provo map in screenshot). if you have a PC also, adding mods would be much easier.

If enough people need help, I can make a "How to install Lomo on OSX guide".
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-03-31 at 11.25.05 AM.png
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 3 times
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

Plastikman wrote:If enough people need help, I can make a "How to install Lomo on OSX guide".
It would be most appreciated.

I remember that I used to have a Locomotion CD I bought years ago, and it would run even without a CD. Now god knows where it is...
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibilit ... pp_id=4372

Looks like Locomotion gets a gold medal when used by Codeweavers "Crossover Games".

Sorry about the double post.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

I played for about 6 hours yesterday on the Mac install.

The game play was very nice. I had 122 trains and about 60 trucks and buses and 35 Trams. no lag whats so ever even at full settings and zoomed out.

The load screens were very slow compared to my PC. That might be because I have not played Lomo on a mechanical hard drive in a while. So it might be normal and I forgot.
That and my Macs HDD is a 5400rpm Sata1 POS. (It's Good enough for HTPC and Testing Mac stuff for work)

The screen scrolling was a bit... off.. it was hyper fast and took some getting used to. Many times I overshot where I wanted to go.
It also looked a little more granular or pixelated then on my PC. that might be because my mac is on a 56" TV?

I might also add, NO color inversion or graphic glitches..

In the end, other then the scroll being fast, and installing mods a PITA, It was was better then PC lomo for stability.

My Mac specs:
Mac Mini 2010 aluminum
2.4 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo.
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256MB)
The crappy factory Sata1 320Gb 5400 RPM HDD
(Seriously? Sata1 in late 2010? 5400RPM system drive? In an $900 PC? WTF Apple? FAIL!)
OSX 10.6.6 / Win7 Ultimate 64bit Via Bootcamp.
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Thank you Plastikmann!

I am now downloading loco as we speak.
The Mac guide sounds like a great idea, lets have it.

I may (most likely) run into problems trying to set loco up via wine, I will keep in touch.

Kindest.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

I should mention, I was not able to get the cheat codes to work since the insert key does not pass though Wine to my knowledge.

I'll try autopause and some cheat tools later. In theory, they should work.
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Okay, so I did an "Easy" installation via winebottler by directly opening the setup.exe i downloaded, and it was successful in installing.

However now when I try to open locomotion, the game window pops up which is good, but then a warning pops up saying - "Unable to initialize graphics system." and then automatically shuts the window after you push "Okay".
What does this mean? and is there a way to remedy this?

Should I have installed it the long way by creating a custom prefix instead of the simple easy way?

EDIT ---

Okay, I've figured it out. Emulate virtual desktop option in "Configuration" --> "Graphics" tab.
1024 x 786, then resize in game for full-screen.
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Plastikmann, I was wondering if you could help me to try and figure out how to modify the trackst.dat files for station modifications on MAC via Wine.

I've downloaded locotool, however the drag and drop execute function on OSX doesn't trigger the application to open with the trackst.dat file. I've tried using 'Open-With' but was still unsuccessful. And of course opening Locotool.exe straight away, doesn't do anything.

I guess what I'm asking is, is there an alternate way of opening Locotool with the trackst.dat file?
Was there an effective method that worked for you?
Or is there another Loco editing program that is more Mac interface friendly and can get the job done.

Any input would be much appreciated. Once we've figured it out, I will add it to my Running Loco on MAC OSX guide in the FAQ section.

Kindest.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

err.. you could try a bat file?
locotool.exe trackst.dat

and

locotool trackst.xml

when done?

i honestly dont think mod-making in OSX is a great idea. bootcamp to windows or vmware SHOULD work.
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Damn... Bootcamping isn't really an option for me. Well it is, but I don't really feel like buying Windows just so I can mod on loco, and every other computer in my house is a mac unfortunately.

I guess I'll keep trying to figure it out. I could always bug my friends who have PC's to help me out. But I want to solve this puzzle!
Thanks anyway Plastikmann.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

buckethead wrote:Looks like Locomotion gets a gold medal when used by Codeweavers "Crossover Games".
CrossOver is certainly the easiest way of getting Locomotion to work on the Mac, I would highly recommend it. You will likely require a no-CD patch for Locomotion, though. You can download a free trial of CrossOver first to ensure it works on your system, anyway.

Disclaimer: I work for CodeWeavers. :)
Illegal_Alien
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Illegal_Alien »

Btw Locomotion in vmware or virtualpc does work, although, you need to edit some stuff, and even after that your mouse will act like its on LSD.
:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of: LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Thanks for the helpful replies guys, I was considering switching to Crossover (rather than using Wine)...
But Locomotion is working fine so far. Where I'm stuck at is trying to modify trackst.dat files in Mac via Wine or opening LocoTool (Which is refusing to open and drag drop doesn't work).

Does Crossover allow you to do this? I mean I'd rather use Wine since I'm already setup, so if there's a solution that can enable me to MOD/edit .dat through Wine, that would be my first choice... But if not, then I guess I'll have to use Crossover if that's more successful at these things.

What do you guys think?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

sshy wrote:But Locomotion is working fine so far. Where I'm stuck at is trying to modify trackst.dat files in Mac via Wine or opening LocoTool (Which is refusing to open and drag drop doesn't work).
You should be able to use compile LocoTool on OS X natively. I might give it a shot sometime. You probably won't be able to drag from the Mac Finder into Wine (or CrossOver), but you can build LocoTool, then execute it from the Terminal (enter "locotool " then drag and drop the file onto the Terminal).
sshy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sshy »

Terminal... That is one scary place. I may need your help with this one... And by 'may' I mean most definitely. If your willing to give it of course.

Sorry, I'm not very useful around computers when it comes to the raw technical side of things.
I've downloaded the Locotool libraries .zip. How would I go about composing Locotool in Terminal? I'm assuming it's not as simple as drag and dropping the three files and hitting enter.

The execute part sounds easy, but the building part sounds tricky.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

You'd need the OS X Developer Tools (they're on your install DVD). In theory you can download the source code and type "make". In practice, the Makefile may be geared towards a Windows-based environment, and may not work without some tweaking, which it seems may be a bit beyond your skill set, I'm afraid. In theory I might be able to look at it myself at some point, but I am fairly busy at the moment.

Return to “General Locomotion”