[Released] Amtrak Pack w/NEC Done! VERSION 3.1.0 2/21/10

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

[Released] Amtrak Pack w/NEC Done! VERSION 3.1.0 2/21/10

Post by Plastikman »

**UPDATE** Version 3.1.0 now RELEASED! link at bottom of this message.

Ok, so i am sitting on the Amtrak Wolverine Going home to Chicago. I am playing an all Passenger Scenerio with US rolling stock.

The game hit 1971. My SuperChief goes Oboslite and umm... there is nothing to build.

Seeing my problem, I quickly started whipping up Amtrak Motive power to continue using the Super Chief Coaches i have in my game already. problem fixed? Nope I soon need to buy new coaches as I build new lines/stations getting bigger.. nothing to buy but the one that came with the game.... Guess I need to build some Coaches.. I might as well make the whole amtrak fleet. Starting with the Wolverine and working backwards to 1971 (start of AmtraK).

This is just a WIP and I don't usually haul passengers in this game. but why not make them? <edit: no longer a WIP>

I heard there is Northeast Corridor set being made so i don't plan to touch the electrics. (is this still being made?)
<edit: i guess i made them after all>

I have so far:

E8 (done)
SDP40F (done) Low reliability do to constant derailing.
F40PH (done)
P40DC (done)
P42DC (done)
FP7a (done) skipping the B unit for now.
F59PHI Surfliner paint(done)
generic baggage car (done)
metroliner EMU (done)
P32-BWH (done)
P32-BWH In California Amtrak paint(done)

Carrages:

cabbage (done)
Mail boxcar (done)
generic coach (done)
Heritage Coach (went generic)
Horizon Coach (went generic)
Superliner Coach (done)
Superliner lounge (done)
Superliner baggage/coach (done)
Generic Baggage for all (done)
Surfliner coach (done)
Surliner Baggage / coach / cab car ( done) (used photoreal pictures)
California Amtrak Coach (done)

*UPDATED*NEC*
http://www.tt-forums.net/files/wip_nec_121.jpg
GG1
E44
E60
AEM7
AEM7AC
HHP8
NEC Amfleet coach in Acela paint
Acela with Fictional Highspeed mail car (done)
Mock up Metroliner EMU from coaches

Considering doing:
I might add:
second coach
B for the f7a (I started painting the A unit already and got busy)
Cab car carriage metroliner style
P-30
F59PHI in California Amtrak
the tolga/cascades
diesel version of the acela (fictional one that comes out in 2008 or 1010).

Some of these might have been done before. If so, let me know and Ill just skip them. No need on rebuilding what has been built. If someoen else is working on any of these let me know. I know there is is a metroliner carrige with the E60 that has never worked for me. it crashes the game everytime i look at the rotating 3d view of it. The "fix" release also. I know there was some discussion about Amtrak stuff a while ago.

Comments please.

<Updated Realeased> DOWNLOAD From AMI Trains!! Click Me!

please report any bugs or problems, comments are encouraged..

ALSO, if anyone sees anythng that is missing from the pack speek up, lets get it fixed.
Attachments
Wolverine with a P42DC, 1 First class/Snack car, 3 Coaches, 1 Cabbage
Wolverine with a P42DC, 1 First class/Snack car, 3 Coaches, 1 Cabbage
Wolverine.PNG (41.25 KiB) Viewed 73875 times
WIP Engines
WIP Engines
Amtrak Engines.png (15.3 KiB) Viewed 73877 times
Last edited by Plastikman on 08 Jan 2011 19:00, edited 19 times in total.
thompson_fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by thompson_fan »

Nice idea. I'd love to see a few more US trains released for this game.

btw where'd you get the station from in the pic?
Raptor
kazimierz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kazimierz »

Well Plastikman,

It seems that your the guy that makes the long-wanted american stock coming to life. It's great to see that your are not only considered to one time period, but also making the game more realistic, by creating trains for the entire 20th century! :idea:

I guess there are a lot of fans of american stock around here, and i hope you can share with us the wonderful stuff we're seeing on your screenies!

:lol:
Keep up the good work

Kaz
=One death is a tragedy , a million deaths is a statistic==

Daan Timmer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Daan Timmer »

kazimierz wrote:Well Plastikman,

It seems that your the guy that makes the long-wanted american stock coming to life. It's great to see that your are not only considered to one time period, but also making the game more realistic, by creating trains for the entire 20th century! :idea:

I guess there are a lot of fans of american stock around here, and i hope you can share with us the wonderful stuff we're seeing on your screenies!

:lol:
Keep up the good work

Kaz

Aight, you could also just have typed *can I kiss your arse?* has the same effect :P

Anyway, those look really nice, altough I don't play LoMo I sure would have wanted/used them.

"Your arguments are totally nothing.. They have so little meaning that its kind of funny you took the time to write them"
"your pixels aren't good enough to talk to me.. sorry"
"Random does not mean fair, and past results do not influence future occurrences." - Corbenn
MjD
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MjD »

Excellent idea plastik, would be nice to have some amtrak stuff. One idea atm would be to make your trains have no obseletion (or however u spell it) date, and let the user choose whether to use it or not, i know thats what we do with the BR set as it allows the user to, if u like play the game in a certain time period no matter what date the actual game is, but thats just an idea.

Also, i would make the reliability 0, as especially when u have lots of trains having to replace 100's of trains every 10 years or so does become annoying and it's one of the criticisms of the original game, but once again its up to yourself.

I think the NEC set has died, there's not been much talk about it for a long while (correct me if i'm wrong tho).

oh and thompson_fan, here's a post from the forum thread 'station type'
LocoMH wrote::lol: Hahaha that's funny! I just read this artice when I saw it was a station built of mine you searched for! Here is another one: http://www.locomotion-fanpage.net/forum ... entid=2017
And the article is here:
http://www.locomotion-fanpage.net/forum ... post113145
Okay, if you don't speak German you won't understand anything.
so pop into that thread for more details :wink:
::::: WIP -- British Rail Set [BRS] for Locomotion with IA, andel, matloughe, Barry and Jonnie :::::
Researcher for the TTDP BRSet Team. Which is here.
tydev417
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tydev417 »

Thank you so much for making a long wanted Amtrak Pack (and the entire US set).

I had asked a for a set back in October and then you showed up. :D

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... ght=amtrak
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

When can we expect a release?
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

kazimierz wrote:your are not only considered to one time period, but also making the game more realistic, by creating trains for the entire 20th century!
That was my plan. I absolutly HATE that when you start the game in 1900 they give the US set 4 wheeled european style "wagons" (who even calls them wagons in the US?) They look more like Ox carts then railroad rollingstock. so I started in 1900 replacing everything. I then got sidetracked when hit more modern stuff.
chrillDevil wrote:When can we expect a release?
When I get around to it? The time i cant find is playing the game to "test it" :twisted: I have scripted most of the converting down to make it take a few min. the hard part is testing and getting the data/research. You're more then welcome to pm me with usefull information to help. maybe a beta tester might be nice....
MajorDuck wrote:One idea atm would be to make your trains have no obseletion (or however u spell it) date, and let the user choose whether to use it or not, i know thats what we do with the BR set as it allows the user to, if u like play the game in a certain time period no matter what date the actual game is, but thats just an idea
I sort of am partial to running with the dates, that way it is a bit of a challenge (not to mention realisim) to start with poor equipment and wait for it get better (or worse).

i actually tried as a beta with my GP9's was to have a differant livery for every year or two for the 9 years it was made based on who bought the most that year. It was fun, and created a colerfull railroad. I doubt i would ever release it like that though. (who knows tho)

I figgured if people dont want the obsoletion dates, they can edit the Dat or just use locowrapper, i am sure many will anyways just for the reliability.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

I for one would welcome this with open arms! I'd be especially glad to have a proper E60 (it was made for me as a request, from a MSTS model painted in MARC colours I think it was, and it just doesn't fit with the rest of the in-game models even if you can get it to work).

Would you be doing an AEM-7 and the Budd EMU Metroliners as well? There's also a version of the Genesis which can run on third rail power, that would be a nice thing to have (and would take all of five minutes to make).

Finally, PRR had an electric freight loco which looked a *bit* like a GP9, would it be presumptuous to ask for that?
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

metalangel wrote:Would you be doing an AEM-7 and the Budd EMU Metroliners as well? There's also a version of the Genesis which can run on third rail power, that would be a nice thing to have .......
Finally, PRR had an electric freight loco which looked a *bit* like a GP9, would it be presumptuous to ask for that?
Metro liners?... hrm I think i have a set of those already? i just never looked up the stats on those and they are not in my refferance book, I think they are classified ad EMU's

I think someone else is doing the NEC set. this was to be a diesel set.

I was planning to stick to disel for lomo and maybe some steam..

Since you can't make a dual power loco in LoMo, Ill Probably only make the diesel one, there are only about 20 of the dual voltage ones ever made.. and you can run the diesel on regular tracks and 3rd rail in the game. who knows. it would only take 5 min to make...

US electrics are so much more powerfull then steam or diesel, they would have to be VERY expensive or nerf the HP to match diesel? (they totaly screw with the compter players AI)

The electric that looks like the GP-9 is probably the E-44. that thing dwarfed a GP-9 though and could pull about 2 times the load. as i recall my n-guage model was about the the same lenght as my GG-1's. Those are about 80ft (Guessing).
anyone have the stats for the E-44?
Last edited by Plastikman on 10 Jan 2006 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Yes.

All these look awesome, makes me wish I had a PC that could run Loco :P

Pic from Rob's PRR Page
Attachments
PRR E-44 drawing w/stats and dimensions
PRR E-44 drawing w/stats and dimensions
sm_e44.gif (65.42 KiB) Viewed 3052 times
tydev417
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tydev417 »

I thought that NEC set got cancelled? Most of the NEC set covers the present day trains besides the P42 (The AEM-7, HHP-8, E60, Amfleet Is, Acela which we already have). And the F59PHIs play a big part of California's Amtrak sytem.

Are you going to do the AutoTrain carriers (or maybe even the Viewliner)? I would guess that the carriers would have to carry goods.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

hey thanks for the E-44 info my encyclopedia of north american locomotives seems to have missed that one. and its little brother the E-30 or was it an E-33?

both of which i just found in my "Pennsy Power" books.
tydev417 wrote:I thought that NEC set got cancelled? Most of the NEC set covers the present day trains besides the P42 (The AEM-7, HHP-8, E60, Amfleet Is, Acela which we already have). And the F59PHIs play a big part of California's Amtrak sytem.

Are you going to do the AutoTrain carriers (or maybe even the Viewliner)? I would guess that the carriers would have to carry goods.
I actually thought about diong the Surf Liner With the F59PHI and the Auto train (which is amtraks most prized route BTW! it is their flagship ATM), I decided against the autotrain for 2 reasons, 1 the autocars are huge for game stadards, 2 what would they carry? if we make them carry goods then The PC players will build 110 MPH goods trains! hell so would I and leave off the coaches! i am giving You enough to build it without the car carriers. I guess if enough people want them we can make them and carry mail? more passengers? nothing? (For those that don't know, the autotrain is a luxury train that takes you to florida with your car, they load your car into an auto carrier and tow it behind the train. Also You have to have a car to ride it.. :shock: and it is Flippin expensive!)

also there is a game limit of 225(?) vehicals? i dont want to eat up a large chunk when you could have other things in there like a whole US set....

I sugest we get a BIG basic set out, then do an add on pack with whatever we need to add, like the NEC stuff and california stuff?
I am open to ideas,

yeah I am not going to touch the acela, scrats was great looking. altho i have no idea how realistic his stats on the set were. i'll have to look later.

I saw there is a P40 already in the game, I will either have to get permission to edit it just to pull the new carriages or release a second one.

who is/was doing the NEC? maybe can give him a hand to move along faster?

also keep in mind, there is a limit of "compatable items" per object, ( i think it was 7 i ran into that problem with my "super" superlinder set)I would like to keep the entire set of rolling stock to that limit so you can pull any correct amtrak consist (typical amtrak hodgepodge....) another reason why i am really limiting how many cars we build. for game purposes.. the metroliner coaches, herritage and horizon cars look almost the same depending the paint phase. especially once shrunk down.

this is all doable just needs a little thought and time. so any input is most welcome.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

Ok I just got home and a did a little poking around, we can have 8 "compatable with" cars. so we can have 8 coaches/baggage etc..

amtrak has basicly 9 types of cars

Herritage
SuperLiner 1
Superliner 2
Viewliner
Amfleet 1
Amfleet 2
Horizon
Surfliner
cascades/tolgo

metroliner?

please help me out here, i am not an amtrak buff,

Herritage, is what amtrak started out with in 71, and inhearited these cars from a dozen railrodas and most were incompatable with each other. went into storage in 75? rebuilt in 77 - mid 80's when they could not afford new cars?

Amfleet1 first cars amtrak bought (500 cars) to replace the heritage cars 1973 - 1977 they were designed to look similar in style to metroliners and could go 120 mph seat 84 or 60 depending on if it was a mid range or loung distance version also the only car to see all the paint schemes I-Vb plus Acela paint.

Amfleet2 were all bought (150 cars) in 1981 they are almost the same as amfleet1 with the exception of they only have 1 vestible instead of 2 (handicapped restroom went in its place) and only hold 59 passengers

horizon, 104 cars bought 1988-1990 (top speed anyone?) seats 77-82 used mostly West of Chicago.

Viewliner 50 cars 1995-1996 all sleepers.

Superliner 1 284 cars from 1977-1978 & Superliner 2 195 cars in 1995 Bi-level cars. based on AT&SF passenger trains. they are to tall to fit in most areas east of chicago. the big exception is the autotrain from Virginia (wasington) to orlando Florida are viewliners.

The Surfliner. modern superliners built new in 2000. 8 sets of 5 cars for california, used in push-pull with 1 F59PHI on one end and a Cab car on the back. Pretty nice train, i rode one of these myself. coach holds about 90 people and custom class car holds is 77?

cascades, we wont touch it as a standard amtrak. areodynamic green and white express train from .. i have no clue where it goes.. portland to vancouver? to but it would make a good adition to an add on pack.

if i am wrong here, and i probably am, feel free to correct me. my amtrak book is kind of crappy.

sooo now that i rambled for 20 min.. lets se what we can do for 8 cars..

1 Cabbage (F40PH with the prime mover removed and convereted into a baggage car with a diving cab... Cab+Baggage) used for push pull where 2 Loco's are not needed.
1 smoothside generic baggage car (used almost everywhere on amtrak trains)
3 superliner cars a coach, a baggage/coach (upper lever passengers lower level baggage). and a lounge diner with the glass roof.
1 amfleet car
1 other coach? horizon or heritage? viewliner seems wierd since it is a sleeper.
1 amtrak boxcar? (sort of usless but you see them all the time on amtrak trains. can haul mail i guess)

anyways. you guys ponder that. let me know what we should build... lets get it right the first time.... alright off to play some MSTS and then bed..
thompson_fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by thompson_fan »

Sounds great. personally i'd build the lot so that everyone gets something that they'd like to use.
Raptor
tydev417
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by tydev417 »

Here's an idea, Since Amtrak has went through 4 phases throughout the years, Phase I, Phase II, Phase III, Phase IV until the current ones, Phase V - on the Locomotives and Phase IVb - found on the Passenger Cars, why not make it so that the different phases come out in certain years.

Kind of like how they do it in the BR Set, the Intercity trains come out before all the other trains.

Metroliners are like EMU versions off the Amfleets, there's no loco just a control cab on both ends.

http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtMETRO.html

Do you have any plans to include the rebuilt heritage trains in use as a diner and also the rebuilt Horizons?

And here's a few Amtrak consists for ya,

P42
1 Baggage
2 Viewliners
1 Refurb Heritage
4 Amfleets

P42
1 Baggage
7 Superliners

P40
4 Horizons

P42
1 Baggage
4 Amfleets

P42
4 Amfleets
1 Cabbage
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

there is my problem..

we cant.

Not, if we want to have a fully interchangable set. we are stuck at 8 cars.

as much as i want to make the full yard of all the cars. at least for the midwest/west coast set. with exception of special trains. like the surfliner and the cascade.

i found out in beta testing the engines. if you don't flag them to only `work with the coaches, the PC AI buys them to haul coal ect.. they dont have the gearing to pull frieght. I Was trying to avoid locking engines to one Type of car since the engines phase out real fast. this would be so easy if Chris put a flag in the game that indicates if it is a frieght or passenger engine...

as far as doing the paint schemes.. umm that would make over 100 vehicals once you start repainting them. I was sticking to what was current when the engine was released for the engines. so far the carrages, phase 3 looks best on single level cars and phase 4 on the superliners with the big superliner script on it but phase 3 lookes good too.

ugh. i know some people might want the amfleet diner, but, for game pourposes it has none, also, when shrunk this small, you cant tell it is missing 2 windows to indicate its a diner. i was trying to avoid making 3 differant P42's that only work with 1 consist each. i should release my big superchief set so you can see what i mean.

oh well, i have today off work so i think ill see what i can get done today on the set.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

not to happy but we got a surfliner today and cascade. (sort of) both need work.
Attachments
Surfliner
Surfliner
surfliner.png (23.06 KiB) Viewed 73097 times
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Yeah, it was the E-44! Well spotted, whoever spotted that. It just seems wrong to make an E-60 or GG-1 haul freight (but I know there was a single-cab freight version of the E-60)

For the P32 (electric Genesis) the two ways to represent it, I think, would either be to have a engine the uses the electric sounds but the game thinks is diesel (thus simulating its ability to run anywhere), or have the game thinking it's a proper third rail locomotive - just for realism/fun, since the whole reason they're third rail is because of a law prohibiting diesel engines to run in a certain area of the city, right? Or am I wrong?

The Metroliner EMU is indeed the one I was thinking of - I don't know when it was retired but it has been replaced with similar EMUs - it's just nice to have an option instead of a loco-hauled train, yeah?

If you want to make it a completely diesel set, that's cool, but I'd argue that the electrified bit of Amtrak is one of its busiest bits :P

Loving the pics so far! Does the Surfliner work as a proper push-pull?
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

metalangel wrote: It just seems wrong to make an E-60 or GG-1 haul freight

they're third rail is because of a law prohibiting diesel engines to run in a certain area of the city, right? Or am I wrong?

The Metroliner EMU

the electrified bit of Amtrak is one of its busiest bits :P

Does the Surfliner work as a proper push-pull?
the GG-1 hauling frieght was quite common as far as i know, they had several wih a lower gearing and lower top speed just for freight,

I cant find a metroliner EMU to convert i looked all over. i might have to skip it for now. i have pictures of them though...

Yeah the NEC is super busy. amtrak actually wants to sell it off. thanks bush..

the surliner and any train with a cabbage added on the back end works as push-pull. i have yet to paint the back end of the surfliner cab car with the windows and blue safty stripes. lol anyone want to do that for me?

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”