Utter newbie questions

Are you a beginner with Locomotion? Learn the basics here.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

kaze
Engineer
Engineer

Utter newbie questions

Post by kaze »

Hey, I've just gotten this game after being a huge transport tycoon fan for years.
its...weird. Sort of transport tycoon but....not. Unsure if its better or worse yet- the interface is seriously sucky and the view is also rather bad.

I'm curious about some things on it though.

1: Is there any chart of what goods go where? I've no clue what to do with food....
2: Are passengers treat just like goods in being loaded off somewhere and unloaded elsewhere? What I mean is- is it worthwhile to make a proper transport system in a town or should you just go from one station to another station?
3: Related to above, if people are just goods as I suspect; what is more profitable, small leaps of passengers or one big leap?
FHS
Director
Director

Re: Utter newbie questions

Post by FHS »

kaze wrote: 1: Is there any chart of what goods go where? I've no clue what to do with food....
Nope
kaze wrote:2: Are passengers treat just like goods in being loaded off somewhere and unloaded elsewhere? What I mean is- is it worthwhile to make a proper transport system in a town or should you just go from one station to another station?
Passengers are handeled like Cargo
kaze wrote:3: Related to above, if people are just goods as I suspect; what is more profitable, small leaps of passengers or one big leap?
Id guess a big leap will make more money, please rather look at the cargo payment window that is accessible by pressing the button below your money.
Hammo
Director
Director

Post by Hammo »

like any good, passengers pay more for a) fast delivery, and b) long distances. So ideally, you move large numbers of passengers long distances, if appropriate. And it's not always appropriate. or efficient to do so. Whilst all goods will pay progressively less for slower delivery times (read: average speed), some don't take much of a penalty. Passengers, mail, grapes and food (from memory) all take huge dives in the amount paid out if they arrive at their destination slowly (again, look at the average speed of your trains for some sort of idea).

So it all depends on how quickly and efficiently you can move them. Sometimes a long express route may make less money than a short service (depends on how many people are waiting, and how well you service the station - if the rating falls you're not servicing it well. you either need a shorter route, or more trains/busses/whatever servicing those stations)

It's worthwhile to do a bit of experimenting to find what suits you best.Good luck with that :)
Vimpster
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Vimpster »

Food, like Goods, are transported to cities that are large enough to accept it.
There are 3 components that determine the amount of money you get: number of units, time in transport, and distance traveled. Distance traveled is how many game tiles between the two stations in a straight line. There is a chart that shows the going rates for each product found in the same window all the other graphs are found. You can use this graph to easily calculate how much money you will roughly get for a delivery before actually constructing a route.
chevyrider
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by chevyrider »

Hoover your mouse above a building in a city and you can see then how much of such buildings are needed to accept things like food or good.
-
-
39 years experience with trains and still driving.
-
-
kaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kaze »

So where does food go? Anywhere?

Also- how do you delete stations? I delete the tram track but they just stay as road stations that can't be removed...

And: How do you maintain your vehicles? There's no depots like in TT...you just have to manually replace them after 6 years or so?
Tracer bullet
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tracer bullet »

kaze wrote:So where does food go? Anywhere?
It will be accepted at a station if the town is big enough.

Also- how do you delete stations? I delete the tram track but they just stay as road stations that can't be removed...
If you select the station like you are going to build a new one the right click on the old one it will be deleted

And: How do you maintain your vehicles? There's no depots like in TT...you just have to manually replace them after 6 years or so?
1 if the town is big enough
2 you have to right click the station while you are outting down a new one
3 yes
Got a new Locomotion. Phew
kaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kaze »

Tracer bullet wrote:
kaze wrote:So where does food go? Anywhere?
It will be accepted at a station if the town is big enough.

If you select the station like you are going to build a new one the right click on the old one it will be deleted

1 if the town is big enough
2 you have to right click the station while you are outting down a new one
3 yes

Damn. The game looks worse all the time...
I don't get what you mean in number 2- select to make a new station then right click?

Also a big one- how do you increase your ranking? The potholes mission seems quite impossible, you need a ranking of 80% or something but with every route done (even in spite of horrible messy opposition) I can only get the 30s.
Tracer bullet
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tracer bullet »

2-thats what i was trying to say
Your performance index is judged by howfar and fast you have carried cargo
Got a new Locomotion. Phew
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Isn't most of this covered in the game manual?
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
kaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kaze »

Badger wrote:Isn't most of this covered in the game manual?
Maybe, I never got one though, I just came across this game at the market for a uber cheap price and looking very worse for waear
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

it is on the cd in .PDF format
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Plastikman wrote:it is on the cd in .PDF format
I got the paper version inside the cd case, then again thats not much help either 67 pages in english when realistically you should be looking at nearer 80 truth be told
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

my boxed edition had both a booklet and the PDF.

My Scholastic edition only had the pdf.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
uktrackbuilder_loco
Director
Director

Post by uktrackbuilder_loco »

Plastikman wrote:my boxed edition had both a booklet and the PDF.

My Scholastic edition only had the pdf.
smart ass showoff
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

I also have the boxed one with over 100 pages and the pdf.
kaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kaze »

So it is, never noticed that.
Thanks.

Given that open transport tycoon is a bit naff I may give this game another crack. The raising your ranking though all feels a bit iffy and the competition are an annoyance.
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

is it possible to expand the amount of things (trains,airplanes,busses trucks ect.) i can have in a scenario? because 224 isent really enough for some of my maps and I would really like to have more stuf packed into it
You got a problem?
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

you would have to edit the EXE wich would be illegal.
i8thefat1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by i8thefat1 »

how sad.
You got a problem?

Return to “Locomotion Beginners”