Pikka's Basic Industries (PBI) - 1.5 6th of September 2008

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Once again thanks for your research. Checking the images I noticed that a specific factory produces anodes as well. Pity Wiki doesn't provide any information about this procedure on copper.
Now for the game:
Should we have only cathodes produced from a 'copper ore mill' (sorry if term is incorrect) that are transported to the 'factory' for further processing or also pipes, cables etc (just graphics or even separate products)?
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

athanasios wrote:Once again thanks for your research. Checking the images I noticed that a specific factory produces anodes as well. Pity Wiki doesn't provide any information about this procedure on copper.
Now for the game:
Should we have only cathodes produced from a 'copper ore mill' (sorry if term is incorrect) that are transported to the 'factory' for further processing or also pipes, cables etc (just graphics or even separate products)?
The anodes are part of the refining process and must go through another step which results in copper that is 99.9% pure - the cathodes that result from electrolysis. For TTDX I suggest cathodes be transported to the factory which in turn produces goods. I would imagine that copper products such as pipes, cables and the coper ribbon used to produce electronic circuits would be transported in box cars/vans or containers which most TTDX train sets provide for.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

George wrote:Copper ore should have label CORE (according to wiki), not COPR. Could you please fix it in PBI?
If you must question Pikka's choices, can you please say "Why did you do that?" instead of "Go fix it"?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

DaleStan wrote:
George wrote:Copper ore should have label CORE (according to wiki), not COPR. Could you please fix it in PBI?
If you must question Pikka's choices, can you please say "Why did you do that?" instead of "Go fix it"?
Strange to see you misunderstanding the question even when there is the right answer represented. Pikka has already answered my question and did it absolutely right.
And, I didn't say "Go ...", I wrote "Could you please ...". Can you suggest any more polite form for this question?
Image Image Image Image
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

athanasios wrote:Should we have only cathodes produced from a 'copper ore mill' (sorry if term is incorrect) that are transported to the 'factory' for further processing or also pipes, cables etc (just graphics or even separate products)?
Well, I've been drawing copper as pipes and cables for transport from the mill to the factory, but I may change it (or at least add some slabby-looking graphics too) after reading wallyweb's post. ;)

I guess it depends where you imagine the basic forming happening - at the mill or at the factory?
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Draw them as entire locomotives... seems that's all old Australian locomotives are worth nowadays... their copper contents.

Would be nice to see a train of just dead locomotives being taken to scrap :twisted:
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

stevenh wrote:Draw them as entire locomotives... seems that's all old Australian locomotives are worth nowadays... their copper contents.

Would be nice to see a train of just dead locomotives being taken to scrap :twisted:
:lol: and ROFL too.
While we are at it, we can tie a line between a power transmission line and the last car in that train in order to get all that tempting copper wire too. :wink:
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

I've found a minor bug again :)

Callback 3D works incorrectly for food processing plants, and probably others as well. It doesn't opt out from accepting fruit even when the stockpile limit is reached. This can be exploited only if there is another FPP in the catchment of a station, but then, the FPP will accept unlimited amount of cargo.

The problem seems to be that when you check variable 18 during callback 3D, you assume it's a slot number, while in fact it's a cargo bit. You check for 04 (the slot of fruit) instead of 0D (the cargo bit of fruit). 04 never matches, so you always check the amount of maize, even when fruit is delivered. Please check your callback 3Ds and make sure they all check for cargo bit and not cargo slot.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

PikkaBird wrote:
George wrote:Ok, how should it look like when being transported? Same as steel?
Pretty much. Maybe a bit oranger. :lol:
Would this be the right solution?
Image Image Image Image
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Looks good George. :D
Csaboka wrote:cargo bit and not cargo slot.
Yeah, that's what I did with copper too. :roll: I'll fix it up.

Edit: done and updated. I think that should be the only one, it's the only industry I can think of that accepts different cargos in different climates.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Sorry, PikkaBird, but I think i've found another bug on the Basic industry set.
I'm using both TTDPatch nightly r1587 and my own OpenTTD compilation with newindustries.
In fact, at first, i though i had a bug to fix, but after a while, i wondered if ever it was present on the Patch, too.
So the good news is that I do not have a bug. Sad news: both programs show the same behaviour

Climate subarctic, above snowline, gold mine. Use the query tool and pass it over any tiles of the mine.
The highlighted tile (white border) will disappear. According to a wise man, it could indicate a problem in the coordinates of the tiles. I'm not good enough to say anything else. From what i can tell, it is the only industry who show this behaviour.
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

belugas wrote:Climate subarctic, above snowline, gold mine. Use the query tool and pass it over any tiles of the mine.
The highlighted tile (white border) will disappear. According to a wise man, it could indicate a problem in the coordinates of the tiles. I'm not good enough to say anything else. From what i can tell, it is the only industry who show this behaviour.
Some industries and houses have the entire tile, including the ground, as the building tile, which means that it will hide the highlight. This isn't a bug as such; it's just laziness on the part of the creator. ;)

In this case, it's laziness on the part of CS/SF as well, because some of the original non-snowy gold mine tiles are exactly the same. So are a lot of the tropic and toyland industries and houses.
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

Sorry, was not aware of that. Looks like i still have an awfull lot to learn ;)
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Pikka's Basic Industries (PBI)

Post by m3henry »

I have an idea for the PBI factory.
currently there are three 2x2 tile sections, each using the same graphics in a factory, mabey there could be variation in each section for each cargo they accept.
so factories would have seperate sections for steel, lumber, copper, wood, paper and plastic; (depending on the climate) each with their own graphics.
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Bump.

I have implemented the limited resources idea suggested by wallyweb here. Mines and oilfields will now have randomly selected estimated resources, and will reduce production and close down when those resources are depleted.

(For those who are interested, the actual mechanism is that industries which have transported more than 80% of their estimated resources will always decrease production when they are processed by the random production changer).

The latest grfs (v1.2) can be downloaded here and here.
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Very cool stuff, that :]
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Very nice indeed!

One question though...
Why is production measured in tonnes and amount transported in tons?
The way I understand it, a tonne is used in the metric system and equals 1000 kg. A ton or short ton is used in the imperial system and equals about 907 kg.
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

The British version of TTD uses the spelling "tonnes", the American version uses "tons", but they mean the same thing in both: 1000 kilograms. It seems Pikka hasn't supplied a British version for his texts, that's why this minor inconsistency appears in the screenshot.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Psht - nitpick. :P

I've changed it to tonnes for now. I suppose I should make both texts when I'm feeling less lazy.

Ah crap - some other texts have tons/tonnes in too...

There, try that.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Cool stuff man!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “Graphics Development”