Cheap transport needed ?

Take a break from playing the game and chat here about real-world transportation issues!

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Cheap transport needed ?

Post by Rob »

Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Ha, thats brilliant!

Imagine the health and safety nuts in the UK if that happened here, they'd blow a fuse!!
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
knedle
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by knedle »

It remembers me one of funny accidents in my city. Suddenly it began to snow and streets have been instantly covered with ice. Since ice is number one enemy when driving buses up the hill (cause you can't get up the hill then), some passangers got out of the buss and started pushing it up the hill. It looks funny on this photo, however it was much funnier to push bus then. :P
Attachments
Save on gas, push your bus!
Save on gas, push your bus!
200502.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

You think that's unusual?
Maybe for trains.

Try living in Seattle for a month and depending on public transport. They've got an excellent transport system, busses and trackless trollies. The problem with the trackless trollies is that, often times, over-eager drivers will cut corners too short or try and change lanes. Then, the trolley poles disengage from the wire, and it takes upwards of a half-hour to get them properly back on the wire.

When they're working properly, though, it's a wonderful way to get around.
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
Dave

Post by Dave »

Move this to the transport forum, it needs a bit of humour to mix it up with the sad b****** trainspotters! (Of which I am NOT one xD)

Edit by spiff: excellent idea, moved :!:
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Heh, bad luck. Awesome. :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
John
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by John »

badger wrote:Ha, thats brilliant!

Imagine the health and safety nuts in the UK if that happened here, they'd blow a fuse!!
no they wouldn't

they would just make everyone wear high vis jackets and hard hats...

(so the train driver can see them and to protect their heads from falling comets)
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

badger wrote: wrote:
Ha, thats brilliant!

no they wouldn't

they would just make everyone wear high vis jackets and hard hats...

(so the train driver can see them and to protect their heads from falling comets)

:D
Brilliant. I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't see a point in all this.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Two more funny facts:

Many similar funny things were happened during EX-YU narrow gauge gold era (1950s-1970s). Locomotives were too weak, and in some places passengers had to go out and pull train. I heard stories about derailments, but because of very low speed, without any consequences. Passengers were just went out, put wagons back on rail and train continued trip. You wonder how? Because wagons were 3-4 tonnes weight. Also on some parts of railways train went so slow, so passengers went out of train and walked parralel to train. But all old people say that all of that had its charm...

in 1990s buses in Belgrade were in awful condition. Many times I saw passengers pushing bus to start engine...
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cheap transport needed ?

Post by AndersI »

Rob wrote:This is only possible in India.
Don't be too sure about that! I was travelling in an old, tired, EMU some weeks before Christmas last year, and after leaving the next to last stop, we suddenly just rolled very slowly forward for about 1 km, until standing still in the middle of nowhere.

After 20 minutes or so, the driver finally had received instructions (phone? radio?) and went out with some tools in his hands.

He had to manually raise the pantograph (I don't know exactly how it worked, as the passengers were not allowed out of the train), and then the trip could continue.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cheap transport needed ?

Post by Rob »

AndersI wrote:
Rob wrote:This is only possible in India.
Don't be too sure about that! I was travelling in an old, tired, EMU some weeks before Christmas last year, and after leaving the next to last stop, we suddenly just rolled very slowly forward for about 1 km, until standing still in the middle of nowhere.

After 20 minutes or so, the driver finally had received instructions (phone? radio?) and went out with some tools in his hands.

He had to manually raise the pantograph (I don't know exactly how it worked, as the passengers were not allowed out of the train), and then the trip could continue.
This is exactly what I meant, normally people aren't allowed to exit the train because they could get run over by another passing train.
In India the people even ride on the roof of the train and hanging out the doors. Not very safe but it happens.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Rob wrote:In India the people even ride on the roof of the train and hanging out the doors. Not very safe but it happens.
In the Philippines, so-called "squatters" are literally living on the railway tracks. 8)

regards
Michael
Attachments
squatter5.jpg
squatter5.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
squatter2.jpg
squatter2.jpg (56.5 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

I guess those people living there aren't what is known as NIMBYs. :P

[edit]correcting spelling error [/edit]
Last edited by Rob on 17 May 2007 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best OS around
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

I guess those people living there aren't what is knonw as NIMBYs. :P
Seems that not even the railway company is acting NIMBYshly. 8)

regards
Michael

Return to “Real-World Transport Discussion”