New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

knuckles88
Engineer
Engineer

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progres

Post by knuckles88 »

Oh screwy. It definitely does [exceed half a tile length, that is]. As you can see, the original engine is super-long, so compressing the model in such a way that it still looks like the same thing was a huge pain and I tried to keep it as long as I could...

To Xotic750: I actually learned everything I know about blender from making this model. I know a lot about the actual meshing, because I spent a lot of time on that, but the rest I'm more shaky on.
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Unfortunately the dimensions are one of the most difficult things to deal with in respect of keeping a model looking like something that you based it on in real life.

Give it a try with my templates and library, I will help as much as I can when you have any questions.
knuckles88
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knuckles88 »

I managed to shorten the engine down to half a game unit. I notice that the default 32bpp train sprites seem to be disproportionate - when the engine is traveling north, south, east, or west the sprite is longer than when the engine is traveling northeast, northwest, southeast, or southwest (seemingly by more than normal perspective would suggest). Do I need two different models; one for NSEW and one for the other 4 directions?
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

A little Pythagoras is needed, in those directions you need to scale by 1.414. Easiest way is to render the 8 views using animation and set scaling points within that animation.
knuckles88
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knuckles88 »

Alright... thanks for your pointers everyone; I think I have a set of acceptable sprites now :)

For adding the offsets, is there any better alternative to pngcodec? It seems like going through dozens of sprites that way would be quite tedious. I know there's a sprite alignment tool in-game for grf debugging, but I can't figure out how to edit the _z0 sprites using that tool so I'm starting to wonder whether it's even possible.//
Xotic750
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Xotic750 »

Your offsets will be added in your nml code for your NewGRF. I think, by the sounds of things, that your are reading out of date information about the EZ project rather than the current trunk method. I would read the NML Tutorial, as this will give you a better idea of what you will be doing to achieve your goal of creating your own NewGRF.
glogar2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by glogar2 »

I was create office building 1536-1537.
Attachments
1536_z0.png
1536_z0.png (71.88 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
1537_z0.png
1537_z0.png (142.03 KiB) Viewed 5016 times
Building 1536_1537.tar
(224.5 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Looks great, well done!

Do you have the sources with this? Otherwise it cannot be put in the final base set.
knuckles88
Engineer
Engineer

Post by knuckles88 »

Thanks to some pointers from this thread, I just managed to code my first working grf in NML :) I'm working with the default zoom sprites only at the moment, and I've noticed that there seems to be an alignment problem. The same sprite is used in the Depot window, the train Details window, and in-game when the train is traveling west, and it seems that any set of offsets which works well for one position doesn't work well for the other two. Are my sprites too large? As far as I can tell, my sprites are consistent with the sizes used in this wiki page: http://wiki.openttd.org/Alignment

Edit: I think I found the answer myself, 1/4 of the way down this page: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 3&start=20
Attachments
a.png
a.png (44.05 KiB) Viewed 4917 times
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I'm not sure which answer you found halfway down that page (there were two there), but just to clarify:

If you don't have different graphics for the depot, and only want to fix the offset problem, use the global variables to do that: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... 3#p1003163
The other method of providing different graphics for the depot is best only used when you actually have different graphics, as otherwise it would make the grf unnecessarily large.
madshillz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madshillz »

hey guys, new to this, and i hope i'm posting at the right place....just want to know where I can find monorail & maglev 32bpp stations...thanks.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

in the zbase
madshillz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madshillz »

thanks...downloading now...does the package contain 32 bit T.G.Vs & Asian star and also mono & maglev trains? if not, then from where can I download those...thanks once again...
madshillz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madshillz »

installed the zbase...looks different not...is there any nightly files i need? cuz the previous one does not work now...strange...thanks again...
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Did you select 'zbase' as baseset in the game options window?
madshillz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by madshillz »

yes i did...its as though all the buildings have gone back to 8 bit...only few things are in 32-bit...do i need the 32bit nightly, which is already selected, is there a new version? thanks.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

There are still a lot of things not in 32bpp yet (zbase is less than two months old, iirc).
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

Alberth wrote:There are still a lot of things not in 32bpp yet (zbase is less than two months old, iirc).
Less than 3 weeks :)
Al T.
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Al T. »

Hey guys, Blender user here looking to try my hand at openttd graphics. Just a few questions?

-What is this zbase? Is it official, unoffical? Is it a different set of graphics to the graphics database found on the wiki?
-How hard is the coding part? If I got stuck would someone help me with it?
-Is the wiki pages on whats been done up to date? (extra zoom pages)
-How do you "claim" a graphic to create? I fancy the oil refinery, but how do I know somone else isin't allready doing it? (wiki suggests it is unclaimed?)
-Must you model all construction stages?
-Is there an official set of 32 bit graphics? (the ones on the wiki?)
-Who decides what to include/not include in this set that I see on the wiki. (yes, the 32 bit extra zoom pages)

Cheers, Al.

Return to “Graphics Development”