Aircraft queueing & planespeed

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

george11: Since you are new here have in mind that there are many many patches that people are making and testing. They compile themselves and usually they provide the patch only. Sometimes they may make available an exe for he rest of us who do not program. And then it will have their patch and not other ones which we would like to see together. As we are not programmers we have to be a bit patient. In time whatever is compatible it will make it somewhere like the MiniIn project which is somewhat dead now.
I recomment you get 32bpp even if it is missing many patches. All of us have a dozen different installations with different executables...
Last edited by athanasios on 16 Apr 2007 05:58, edited 1 time in total.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
george11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by george11 »

thank you for all the advice. i guess i will start playing ottd with just miniIn, i have waited for over a year now hehe. Yeah 32 bpp looks realy good but i consider it still in heavy development, i will play it when its finished.
Keep up the awesome work everyone.
ttd is the best game in its genere, i bought locomotion and transport giant and of course sim sity and so on, but ottd is unique...
bulb
Engineer
Engineer

AIRCRAFT ALWAYS FAST NOW!!!

Post by bulb »

Hello folks,

In rev8973 Celestar changed aircraft to always be fast. So everybody who just wants to play with real-speed (ie. the same speed reading means the same thing as for other kinds of vehicles) aircraft should get the trunk from subversion or downlaod the latest nightly snapshot now.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Please give me a heads-up before doing something like that, so I have a chance to put my earplugs in.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

Well, sending a concorde to a heliport and watch it spinning around is a good way of getting rid of your lunch. xD It's fun to watch instant deacceleration from 2,346 km/h to 49 km/h.
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

I've been playing with that today and the aircrafts make a huge profit (compared to trains). But hey, that's how it's in real life :D.
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

gkirilov wrote:I've been playing with that today and the aircrafts make a huge profit (compared to trains). But hey, that's how it's in real life :D.
Actually not, aircraft cost A LOT to operate IRL. And it is really easy to set up a money maker with this, connect 3 towns with 3 aircraft and you'll see the money come rolling it. I use this technique since I've had super fast aircraft which is some weeks now :) ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
DarkFenX
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DarkFenX »

Imo realistic behavior is good. Aim of ottd developers is to offer maximum number of features and realism, despite any changes in balance.
That's why i'm so much interested in rebalancing project :) which shold make all transport means equal and usable.
- It's hot as hell in here.
- You see it too? For me, it's always like this.
-------------------
Jabber: DarkFenX@jabber.org
george11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by george11 »

HOORAY!! :lol: :lol:
walk me throught this now i want miniIN and this latest nightly, and i will be happy as a pig i a $h.. i need to download sources of both nightly and ottd and miniIN on top of that and then just compile them together?(i have a friend who can compile). i tried it out, and its exactly what i want, but sadly it replaces my miniIN.
I dont much care about broken ecomony, because after 10-20 years of play i have gazillion pounds on my account anyway. I never had problems with money, and as a challenge i was thinking starting my next game with NO industries setting, to make it a bit challenging.

PS: i noticed that after introducing that last nightly my planeset 153.grf stopped working, but that no big deal, the main thing is the planes go FASTER at last.

PS2: actually thinking about it i cloud live without miniIN if you wizards will tell me its impossible to combine the two. i will certainly be waiting very inpatiently for your answers...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Cool. One thing I've noticed with the nightly is that planes don't slow down to circuit speed when orbiting the small airport (whereas they do with the "city" airport).
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

PikkaBird wrote:Cool. One thing I've noticed with the nightly is that planes don't slow down to circuit speed when orbiting the small airport (whereas they do with the "city" airport).
Only "city" airport has this feature for now.
zedd
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zedd »

I found this to make pretty poor use of approaches especially when the airport gets crowded and it can't distance the planes from each other properly.

The priority to broken craft is pretty nice though.

Would it be possible to simply reduce the speed of all airplanes in the landing pattern to that of the slowest airplane in the pattern? This would solve the problem with faster aircraft getting more approaches giving everyone an equal chance to land ... and planes could land as soon as the approach becomes clear and not keep circling around waiting for the specific nr 1 in queue craft to get to the approach.

I think that either a simpler (the one I mentioned) or a far more complex solution (using queue intervals and general priorities depending on waiting times and stuff like that) then this patch as it is now will be needed for smooth airport operation.

A good start though.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Good morning, ladies and germs! Just wanted you to know I'm still alive.

BUT - it appears that OpenTTD has evolved quite a bit, including moving from C to C++, resulting in a lot of incompatibilities with my patch.

Alas, I will need to rewrite my patch, using my old patch as a guide and moving everything to OOP. The modifications to queue.h and queue.c in particular will need nearly a complete rewrite, since we're (hopefully) no longer using hacks to create data structures, and using C++'s OOP instead (we are using OOP now, right??).

BUT - I hope to renew my interest in maintaining the patch again.

It may take a while, however, to complete the transition to the new code. Remember, I haven't updated it since December! Most of the stuff can't just be copied in. I need to look at the old and new code, and make changes that are appropriate.

I will try to keep you updated with my progress.

BTW, OpenTTD compiles nicely in VC++ Express, and the game seems to play nicely in Vista, so my development environment is ready for action :).

I've noticed a few people have released further patches to the code for some more improvements, and I've gotten some feedback in the flyspray tracker.

I'll start by implementing and releasing my patch in its current state first for an easy transition, then I'll look at the suggestions and include them as necessary.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

. . . and I'm making a lot of progress :). A lot of the code has been implemented, but there's a lot to go. Nothing works yet, and after all of this re-implementation, I have a feeling I'll be doing a lot of debugging to get it into a usable state.

I've just started re-implementing the specialized queue in OOP. Finally, I can use templates and implement generics properly :). This should make the queue a lot more flexible while retaining its blazing fast O(1) running time for nearly all operations.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

As bulb noted, faster speeds have been built into the game mow. Therefore, my speed patch will no longer be included - with the possible exception of some of the bug fixes I included in it. The patch will now only contain the airport queueing stuff.

In addition, I'm also getting rid of the patch that sends broken aircraft to the front - 99% of the time, a broken aircraft indicates you've got too many aircraft trying to land at the same time, and just recreates the problem the queue is trying to fix.
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

Why do you want to throw the option to adjust the plane speed out?
I know the speed patch is already in the nightlies but I think a lot of players would like to have this option.
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Okay, I suppose, but it'll require some adjustments to make it work with the modifications that were made.

In the meantime, my code is, so far, suffering from an odd error:

Any idea what could cause that error?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the cause of the error and fixed it.
bulb
Engineer
Engineer

New version of the patch

Post by bulb »

Hello,

I almost had the original patch updated, when Celestar changed the planespeed, thus breaking it again.

I'll return to it and give it one more try. Celestar, do you work on it currently, or should I try it?

Regards,

Bulb
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Sorry I've been gone a week, but I'm working on my patch again. I'll have my rewrite done soon, I hope.
bulb
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bulb »

CobraA1 wrote:Sorry I've been gone a week, but I'm working on my patch again. I'll have my rewrite done soon, I hope.
Than I'll wait for you to do the planespeed option and just try to do the speed callback for newgrf.

If I may suggest, I'd do the planespeed and queueing as separate patches. The planespeed alone should be rather simple and uncontroversional, so it should be easier to get in mainline.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”