HELP! Who knows how to encode GRFs?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

If you're wanting to include graphics from an existing GRF file (say, the Centennial from the Tropicset, in the new USset), how do you do that? You have to decode the GRF, import the decoded file, and re-set the various parameters for the loco?

Anyway, this will be not only a great improvement in itself, but a big step in the right direction along the road to a comprehensive tool.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Wiki download

Post by Patchman »

nilsi wrote:How can I download the entire wiki and read it offline?
Sorry, that's not possible at the moment, unless I make a dump and you install Tikiwiki on your own computer and import it there.

I will make this possible eventually, but I'm waiting till everything is a bit more mature, right now it's not even a month old.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

For being a month old the Wiki is pretty helpful. It will get better as it goes along.

You can download the entire manual from the TTD Patch page as one massive HTML file. That covers most of the information in the Wiki at the moment.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

krtaylor wrote:If you're wanting to include graphics from an existing GRF file (say, the Centennial from the Tropicset, in the new USset), how do you do that? You have to decode the GRF, import the decoded file, and re-set the various parameters for the loco?
Yes, you'd have to do that. As I say, as my tool matures, it will probably become possible to open any GRF file, but not just yet. ;)

Anyway, for those interested, I've attached my current version of the tool. When you open it up, you can go into the File menu and enter GRF information (action 8). You can then add ships (not any other vehicle, just now) to modify (action 0), although the ship-specific data isn't present yet. You can alter certain parameters and so on (this will be made more user-friendly in the future). You can then export the GRF file by choosing File and Save As (currently it'll spit it out as owentest.grf in the app directory). You can load this up happily into TTDPatch and it should work. Features such as adding your own graphics will come in a future version...

If you get errors about missing OCX files, or the program just doesn't open, install TTDAlter.
Attachments
grfcreator.zip
GRF Creator 0.1
(19.63 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Dan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Dan »

I got an error message trying to run it
error message wrote:failed to load control 'NumBox' from . Your version of may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application.
I tried ttd alter but I dont have ttdx.exe or tycoon.exe those are only in my version of TTO.
╔═════════════════╗
║░ГЯΔИ$PØЯГ Г¥¢ØØИ!░║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓║
║▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒║
║░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║
╚═════════════════╝
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Have you got TTDAlter 4.1 installed at the moment (http://www.owenrudge.net/TT/)? If so, it should work.
nilsi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by nilsi »

I know about the manual. I just have an expensive connection and that is why one should be able to download. How could anybody follow a tutorial not having time to think about? If I write a tutorial (nobody is interested anyway) I will put it on my own webspace as one single file, but do not worry, you can always put it into the wiki.
Besides that I have to ask many questions to Josef as I did half a year ago.
Hope somebody understands me :-/
Nils
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Josef said me he can convert the full manual back to pdf in the future...
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'd love to see better tutorials, when you're done they could be loaded on the main site for everyone to see,

Return to “Graphics Development”