The Serpent Scenario's Off Topic luggage...

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

CRATSCH
Engineer
Engineer

The Serpent Scenario's Off Topic luggage...

Post by CRATSCH »

EDIT by Badger - Split from here.

Wow, can't wait to play with this!

Oh yes about the companies, I was thinking about this issue a lot and than I solved it with a small piece of paper where is written which company starts when to avoid running non existing sutff. Actually now I am thinking about finding out when each of the main companies starts the exact model but perhaps it's too much:)
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: [WIP] The Serpent scenario

Post by kalvingp30fan »

It was Pennsy/NH until 1969 when Penn Central was made, then in 1976 conrail was formed from PC and other bankrupt NE railroads, THen in 1999 Conrail was split amgonst CSX and NS.
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

kalvingp30fan wrote:It was Pennsy/NH until 1969 when Penn Central was made, then in 1976 conrail was formed from PC and other bankrupt NE railroads, THen in 1999 Conrail was split amgonst CSX and NS.
minor error, NYC and PRR merged in 68, and the federal government forced PC to merge with New haven in 1969. :D

PC went bankrupt in 1970 and got bankruptcy protection till conrail took over. it was the largest bankruptcy in history back then.

Actually plastik was working on this issue last night.
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

to open just the landscape of this map i need the following:

--- Signals ---
SIGBOX-Z : --- Not installed!!! ---

--- Train Stations ---
SCEN01-Z : --- Not installed!!! ---

i have looked on here, google, and fanpage with no luck. i have never ran across these before? these files have peeked my interest.
FirstSoloFlight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by FirstSoloFlight »

I think to be fair on anyone wanting to download user created scenarios, the creator should included a ZIP or RAR of any custom content used on the map to avoid pages of people asking where to find things.

It's not too hard to work out what's needed, and generally, shouldn't be too big a file. There are many websites that host free space for this exact purpose. 8)

At least this way, the creator doesn't have to sort through all the *whinge whinge cry* posts to find all the praises for their hard work! :lol:

Regards,
FSF.
FirstSoloFlight
noofnoof
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by noofnoof »

I beg to differ and say that it's not a good map unless it is mod free, and that mod makers don't like there work being distributed without credit and or permission.
Lighthouse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator
Location: ´s-Hertogenbosch (AKA "The Duke´s Forest") , the Netherlands

Post by Lighthouse »

bluebeetle wrote: --- Signals ---
SIGBOX-Z : --- Not installed!!! ---

--- Train Stations ---
SCEN01-Z : --- Not installed!!! ---
I have them in my objdata folder. If you need them i can send them. Where they came from original ??? i´ll start looking for them.

Edit : I think they are custom made items from Zimmlock, They end with the letter Z. I thought he said something about it on this forum that he has improved some of his locosheds.
Last edited by Lighthouse on 25 Sep 2009 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing that is not very successful in the wireless version : Bungee Jumping 8o
Just fold at the dotted line and cut it out with a pair of scissors. If you are under the age of 16 please ask one of your parents or an adult supervisor if she/he can help you.
Image........................................................................................
ImageImage
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

FirstSoloFlight wrote:I think to be fair on anyone wanting to download user created scenarios, the creator should included a ZIP or RAR of any custom content used on the map to avoid pages of people asking where to find things.

It's not too hard to work out what's needed, and generally, shouldn't be too big a file. There are many websites that host free space for this exact purpose. 8)

At least this way, the creator doesn't have to sort through all the *whinge whinge cry* posts to find all the praises for their hard work! :lol:

Regards,
FSF.
you can't host other peoples work without creators approval, for example if i took plastiks work and put it in a zip and post it here or anywhere else. That is something he will never allow, and will get it removed immediately. best thing to do is the creator of an map to list the addresses of where everything is in a read me.

light house if you could that through an pm that would rock.
FirstSoloFlight
Engineer
Engineer

bluebeetle wrote:
FirstSoloFlight wrote:you can't host other peoples work without creators approval, for example if i took plastiks work and put it in a zip and post it here or anywhere else. That is something he will never allow, and will get it removed immediately.
I'm sure if you included a readme in the zip, as well as a breif on who made what, giving the rightful credit out, there shouldn't be a problem. Especially concidering that it isn't payware, and is available elsewhere on the internet (which if you want to get into detail over; is other people hosting space for you to distribute information). I really don't see the issue here. :)
FirstSoloFlight
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

FirstSoloFlight wrote:
bluebeetle wrote:
FirstSoloFlight wrote:blablabla.
I'm sure if you included a read me in the zip, as well as a breif on who made what, giving the rightful credit out, there shouldn't be a problem. Especially concidering that it isn't payware, and is available elsewhere on the internet (which if you want to get into detail over; is other people hosting space for you to distribute information). I really don't see the issue here. :)
I think You are missing the point...

The answer is "No!". not, "lets discuss it."

People in the locomotion and TTD community respect each others files and creative rights.

By Joe blow distributing BR set files or IA set files , My files, etc. with his maps, you get several issues;

1 You end up with a 125 meg map.

2 You step on other peoples toes.

3 you destroy all quality control, almost daily (a little longer on other sets) older files are updated with new graphics, stats, bug fixes, locked to other newer files, etc. by distributing older files then what is available in the original set, you ruin how sets are intended to work. By having only one point of distribution, this can not become an issue.

4 as you pointed out, they are available on the Internet. why download the same set more then once? All you need to do is provide links to the downloads.

5 in some certain cases, some older files are somewhat considered abandoned and OK to redistribute as the host is likely to go away. (there not many of these but the earth slopes was one)

6 in some cases, you might wish to change an objects properties for a specific reason, you may contact the author and get permission provided you give credit and a new name to not conflict with existing stuff.

and yes i would report BB... and i have :P
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
bluebeetle
Chairman
Chairman

Post by bluebeetle »

Plastikman wrote:and yes i would report BB... and i have :P
its good to see you still love me, and according to andel it wasn't you, but thanks for caring :p. But i have never met a creator that allows it. Now if the person installing the dats has a problem getting the dats to install. i usually let the creator know of said problem and let them hash it out. But like on my last scenario i made a read me with addresses directing people, about all a map maker can do.
Zimmlock
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zimmlock »

LoL :D

Best regards
Zimmlock
Last edited by Zimmlock on 28 Sep 2009 15:24, edited 1 time in total.
Hodie Mihi Cras Tibi
FirstSoloFlight
Engineer
Engineer

Plastikman wrote:By Joe blow distributing BR set files or IA set files , My files, etc. with his maps, you get several issues;

SNIP
Alright. :) I still don't agree at all, but "rules is rules". :bow: :D
FirstSoloFlight
kalvingp30fan
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by kalvingp30fan »

Your missing the point.
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Forum Rule 1g wrote:Members are expected to respect the copyright of other users, sites, media, etc. Users linking to or asking for information on warez, cracks, etc. will receive a warning and their post will be removed.
End of the matter, thankyou.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
G-TANK-G
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: The Serpent Scenario's Off Topic luggage...

Post by G-TANK-G »

Wow, all of this for a buggy scenario. Sorry to seem rude, but I just find it funny how something like 'I have a missing file' turns into reporting someone for copyright by not crediting the author. Quite rediculous I'm sorry to say. Maybe next time (or the first time) for everybody who is to create a scenario, perhaps try doing this;

Before you even start the game to create a scenario, use plastikman's unmod tool to remove the 'unofficial' dats out of the objdata file. So, when starting to create a scenario, you have a clean surface to work on. Meaning there's no odd sound file, there's no edited track files. Just like the game was when you bought it. mod-free.
After that, make your scenario as you would normally. Only use default stuff first. If there's an industry from a mod that you want to add, use something else in its place for now.
Once you have the scenario at default, save it and make a backup of the default version of the scenario. At least then you can go back to it if anything goes wrong. Then start adding the mods. BUT, create a readme of the mods that you're adding. Do them one by one, or make a list before adding the mods back into the game of what you got and what you're intending to add onto the scenario. Credit the authors. Once you've added what you wanted to add and created the readme, go back onto lomo. and select the mods in the selection bit. Replace a few normal stuff for the modded stuff. Save the modded scenario (maybe give it a tag like, 'modded' maybe as reference for yourself). Test it and change it if u must. Then release the scenario along with the readme containing the info and credits.

This may be time consuming, I know. But less hassel than what this turned out to be. Could very well be quicker actually.

Thanks for reading :)
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: The Serpent Scenario's Off Topic luggage...

Post by Plastikman »

not sure how people are lookinjg for files for a scenario that has not been released...
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”