Distant-join-stations (in trunk)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Distant-join-stations (in trunk)

Post by Frostregen »

This is the "Adjacent & Distant Join" Patch from Mini-IN,
ported to trunk, and ripped out "adjacent stations".
(Ok... it is nearly a whole rewrite)

Maybe this has a greater chance of moving into trunk,
as it does not change any game mechanics (like adjacent stations did).

Short introduction of usage:
CTRL not pressed: Same station-placement behavior like always.
CTRL pressed:
-no station around(station-spread radius): no popup
-touching other station: no popup
-touching more than 1 station: no popup (will fail to build anyway)
-1 or more stations around, not touching any station: display popup

Bug reports and coding/style hints are welcome.

Credits to Wolf01 for the idea.

bye,
Frostregen

Look for the latest posts in this thread for the most recent version,
as i do not update this patch anymore.
Attachments
distant_join_stations_rev9840.diff
(22.61 KiB) Downloaded 887 times
Elbhaven Transport, 31. Jan 1970.png
Elbhaven Transport, 31. Jan 1970.png (61.32 KiB) Viewed 33651 times
DJ_9840.rar
win32.exe+langfiles. just exctract over a nightly build
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 683 times
Last edited by Frostregen on 11 Jan 2009 20:06, edited 13 times in total.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Good idea

Post by maquinista »

I think that this is very useful. I have waited this patch.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]
Bot_40
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bot_40 »

Does it pop up every time you build a station? I think it should only pop up when ctrl is pressed.
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

Try using it in a real game.
I don't think it is disturbing.

If the stations would automatically join before (=touching borders), they will automatically join now too.
It pops up, if the station is further away than 1 tile, and within range of "patches->station_spread".

I don't think a special key is needed to activate this functionality.
(Maybe this will be a patch setting, tho)
charlymorton
Engineer
Engineer

Post by charlymorton »

Wouldn't it be better if it popped up when there is another station within the catchment area of the new station?

Let's say I have a medium sized town where I want to build an extensive bus network, and the station spread was set to a relative high number e.g. 30, then this box would pop up for every single bus stop I build in this town, even if I build the bus stops at opposite ends of the town.
Bot_40
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bot_40 »

It's just that the majority of the time I'd still want to build separate stations, so it's just one extra click. And it could be removed by changing it to ctrl+click.

Also, the devs don't tend to like the standard behaviour to be changed much, as could be seen with the custom face patch fiasco. I'd be surprised if they wanted to include it in the trunk without it being changed to ctrl-click. Just my 2 pence.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Bot_40 wrote:as could be seen with the custom face patch fiasco
The problem with that ithe savegame wouldn't be compatible anymore; when loading an old savegame you would get another 'random' face, whereas it just should have converted the old face format to the new format.
This is the single most important issue remaining for the patch to be merged. All other issues were already resolved.

And on-topic, I think that the more advanced features like distant joining shouldn't be turned on by default, thus when you click CTRL the window should show up. On the other hand I'm not sure whether you want to join stations over such a large distance.

Secondly from the comment Frostregen made about the distance being the station spread; the whole new station should stay within that station spread; don't know whether it checks for that though; I have not tested it though.

About FindStationsNearby, take a look at CircularTileSearch.
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

Ok ok, ctrl+click ;)

"CircularTileSearch" sounds good, i'll take a look.
EDIT: Does not work, since FindStationsNearby "circles" around the newly placed station-area, which is mostly not just 1 tile+quadratic.
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

Rubidium wrote:The problem with that ithe savegame wouldn't be compatible anymore
I understant, but it not like version is 1.0
I mean, it's not mal to break compatibility, and it's always best to do it on version 0.5 than 1.0

Can you imagine in year 2011 (at version 1.3 ?) someone ask "wtf, why this is like that?!", someone answer "yes, it was to keep compatibility between 0.5 and 0.6 four year ago"....
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

If you are using windows, you are in no position to say so. I have programs, that still run using Win 3.11 interface (although a 32 Bit compiler). Same for nearly all WindowNT for Intel programs.

If you really annoy everybody by breaking compatibility, it must be a very good reason. Just a new face is certainly not.
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

Ahh, well that opens a whole other kettle of fish. Sometimes you need to break compatibility in order to introduce features or you run the risk of ending up with reams of checking code that, as with the code in windows, introduces the potential for a great many bugs.
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Archonix wrote:Ahh, well that opens a whole other kettle of fish. Sometimes you need to break compatibility in order to introduce features or you run the risk of ending up with reams of checking code that, as with the code in windows, introduces the potential for a great many bugs.
I disagree with you. Savegame compatability isn't a limiting factor for new features. We can rewrite the whole savegame format if we like, we only need to make sure that the old savegames are read properly. There is no need to write thousands of exceptions within the core code for this because all the old savegames are automatically conveerted to the current format.
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

If anyone has a version that compiles this with a recent trunk nightly (which would include NewHouses), I think many people would be grateful.
Sug
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sug »

The patch above worked perfectly on mine (r9388)
MJS
Director
Director

Post by MJS »

Ah. Sorry, my mistake - used the wrong tense. I meant to ask whether anyone had a ready-made version that has been compiled - there's quite a lot of people that don't know yet how to compile...
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

prissi wrote:If you really annoy everybody by breaking compatibility, it must be a very good reason. Just a new face is certainly not.
it was a general remark, I didn't speak about "new face".

Distant join station, looks a little bit more interresting to my eyes...
Xkeeper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Xkeeper »

It's like station walking except for lazy people.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Xkeeper wrote:It's like station walking except for lazy people.
but walking (with a station eheh) across a city is not that simple thing ;)
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

I can`t make this to work! I`ve downloaded OTTD-win32-MiniIN-r8928-MiniIN.zip and when I`m playing arround it doesn`t pop-up any window! Please help me! Thank you
The rest is confetti!
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

try keeping pressed CTRL when placing a station, when you release the mouse button, instead of place the station it should ask you to which station you want to attach the new piece

Return to “OpenTTD Development”