Can you make a billion dollars a year?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Assassin
Engineer
Engineer

Can you make a billion dollars a year?

Post by Assassin »

I wondered if it is possible to make a billion dollars a year in OpenTTD because I want that to be my new challenge, or if there is a cap since that would take so much money and in-game resources. And not by using cheats. Also, how can you download your saves so that if I were to delete Open TTD, they would not be deleted too?
kkidslogin
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Can you make a billion dollars a year?

Post by kkidslogin »

It should be possible on a very large map, but you'd likely need NewGRFs for very fast vehicles (E.g. Vactube) to be able to accomplish it in a reasonable amount of time.
Certified forum helper ©. Also active in the Scratch forums, where I have over 2300 posts as of the last count.

Played OpenTTD since 1.4.4 8)
dol422
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by dol422 »

There's no limit to the amount of money you can make, it all comes down to the efficiency of your transport system and the vehicles running on it.

Soon enough, you'd most likely end up with more than you can spend.
Take a look at: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=74993
Why do it tomorrow when you can do it today
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

1707951773071.png
1707951773071.png (315.74 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

archive files can be found at C:\Users\(your account)\Documents\OpenTTD\save
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
Assassin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Assassin »

Wow, that is impressive to have one billion per year by 2050, I have only made it to 50 million. I guess I have a lot of work to do.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Year 2774 netted Voyageur Continental more than $6B in following linked save game...
trainrover wrote: 22 Feb 2024 22:31 Cannot comprehend the rationale at starting fresh games when I've barely scratched the surface on old ones .. much time spent at cleaning a mere fraction of this oldie...

download/file.php?mode=view&id=228841
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

Wow!

I was going to say that making a £1B is definitely possible, but it takes a lot of infrastructure which takes time to build. I really didn't think it was possible to do by 2050 (assuming 1950 as the starting year). Had to look back at my earlier saves of my current longplay game and I only made around £230M in 2050... I've flattened out at around £400M for now because I'm focusing on other stuff atm, but I have no doubt I will reach £1B/year pretty soon once my focus shifts back to network expansion/optimization.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

pickpacket wrote: 10 Jun 2024 20:08 I was going to say that making a £1B is definitely possible, but it takes a lot of infrastructure which takes time to build.
or turning on inflation as done by trainrover and Accipiter2000. :mrgreen: Then achieving £1 billion in profit actually becomes a formality.
I wanted to check how little you have to do to achieve this. I quickly created a small company: two connections between 4 cities, 50 trains, map 1k. As it turned out, I made half as many connections anyway, and 10 trains would have been enough. :)
[+] Spoiler
El Dorado Transport.png
El Dorado Transport.png (583.79 KiB) Viewed 755 times
It's another thing to achieve such a profit without inflation, without super-profitable add-ons and especially in online play. This is a real challenge. :D
My best result from such a game (Reddit Vanilla server) is about £400 million. The best I've seen on this server is over £950 million in 2028 in a company created by JuroSK. What the final result was, I don't know. There were too many trains and everyone started getting thrown out one by one, including me. :?

No inflation, no NewGRF, online game, 22 years before the end:
MAERSK LOGISTICS_satyrated hat, 2028-02-18.sav
(3.7 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
Another time, on a Reddit2 server with many NewGRFs, I managed to create a company that generated almost £500 million. And then, when I was enjoying total hegemony over other companies :twisted: , 20 years before the end of the game, it was joined by... JuroSK. :shock: And in just 20 years, he not only caught up with me, but also achieved a profit that was more than twice as high, exceeding the magical barrier of £1 billion.

NewGRF, online game:
Zupatacos Transport, 2043-10-26.sav
(4.76 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
By the way...
trainrover wrote: 22 Feb 2024 22:31 Cannot comprehend the rationale at starting fresh games when I've barely scratched the surface on old ones .. much time spent at cleaning a mere fraction of this oldie...
download/file.php?mode=view&id=228841
Realy impressive network. :)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

LaChupacabra wrote: 11 Jun 2024 00:47 Realy impressive network. :)
thank you .. I uploaded its following update last week .. after much satisfactory cleaning, it still needs more:

download/file.php?id=230019

Return to “General OpenTTD”