This patch replaces the 74 ticks based day with a 60 ticks time unit and multiply it with a chosen factor to slow the game down.
Some said it wasn't possible because the 74 was too hardcoded but yet the core change was done quickly and the game was still functional. Most work is in scaling other aspects and tweaking settings.
Unlike other day lengthening patches, this does not insert an extra loop between two original day ticks but it actually increases the amount of available ticks in a day (with factors aligning to real time).
Currently both vanilla and JGR patch seem fully functional.
Changes in patch (depending on OpenTTD branch):
- modified DAY_TICKS and related constants and added/replaced several for code clarity, among which:
- TIME_UNIT (60 ticks default block replacing the 74 standard)
- DAY_LENGTH (TIME_UNIT multiplied with _time_factor (the chosen slowdown factor))
- HOUR (the length of a game hour in ticks
- MINUTE (the length of a game minute in ticks)
- CUR_HOUR (current hour of the day)
- CUR_MINUTE (current minute of the hour)
- modified timetable variables for timing
- replaced monthly with daily autosave
- setting for selecting the time factor (removed old day length option)
- alternative station catchment radius set higher for bus and lower for other stations
- tweaks in duration of load/unloading
- dispatch timing divided by a factor of 60 (tick-wise) to fit in the 14 bits used for storage (workaround, should replace process with something better)
- Changed station rating modifiers, vehicle age factor changes only slightly over 10 years and speed is no longer a factor so the small and slower vehicles have a use
Recommended settings (depending on OpenTTD branch):
Interface - Wall clock:
- Show time in minutes: on
- Enter timetable times as text: on
- Ticks per minute: 60 for time factor 1440 (is automatically adjusted at time factor changes to 48 or above but can be changed manually again)
- Show date: full date
Possible issues (the ones seen so far, depending on OpwnTTD branch, not all confirmed fixed yet by me):
Not savegame compatible, you might get an ocean background at the intro screen but saving and loading new games works so far.
Production rate might be set higher for testing purposes, eventually to be set to once a day by default.
Build of new industires is done in a day or so instead of one or two months in JGR patch, TTD patch probably works (not tested yet).
Intermittent brief slowdown at fast forward (but seems caused by the Intel graphics in my laptop).
Town label is red even though attitude is good. (seems caused by loading of previous test games and disappears after saving/reloading game)
- scale town size
- scale acceleration
- scale catchment area for bus station (other stations can be scaled by combining with bus station when it makes sense for covering populated areas, like mail, goods)
Diff for JGR patch branch (0.31.0):
realtime-JGR-0.9.diff [163.43 KiB]
Downloaded 5 times
Diff for vanilla 1.9.1 branch (1.9.1):
realtime-TTD-1.2.diff [140.69 KiB]
Downloaded 2 times
PS: Diff files are made from local directories, not the git repositories.
The attachment beta, 1981-07-08.png is no longer available