[WIP] Trails

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: [WIP] Trails

Post by peter1138 »

This is the current specification I'm working to... http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Peter1138/Railtypes
This will follow on to road types, but I've not worked on that yet.

This is all in the OpenTTD wiki as none of it is set in stone yet.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Being an optimist, I'm thinking about theoretical gameplay possibilities for multiple road types, such as trails - and how to balance vehicle sets against them. I've read the documents from Zephyris and Peter...

1. How plausible is it to vary a vehicle's reliability depending on the road type it is using? For example, in the case of the heavy equipment set I am working on, there are rigid mining trucks and articulated dump trucks (ADT). Mining trucks are faster than ADTs, but much less reliable if used in rough conditions. Would having to balance reliability against other factors add something to gameplay?

2. Can vehicle speed be varied by road type?

3. Do RVs use vehicle HP in calculating speed up hills etc? There might be advantages in using a slow but extremely powerful vehicle in steep terrain.

cheers,

Andy
555gln22
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 555gln22 »

I had a thought about this after looking at a patch that added grass and rust to unused rails.

Perhaps if when you set down the trail the terrain didn't change much (perhaps a just a tiny flag at every junction or corner to show where the path is) but then if a certain number of vehicles drove along the trail it became progressively more rutted and cut up? you could slow vehicles down further on a heavily used trail which would make it a balance between the costs of a trail (very low to set up but delays delivery) and a road (more expensive but much quicker)
Formerly known as 'davepoth'
Yatta
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yatta »

Im bumping an old thread for that great idea of trails.
The idea was quite popular (see old thread) so I guess this bump is a public service thing. ;)

Any news on ottd capacity to manage new road types ?
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

Yatta wrote:Im bumping an old thread for that great idea of trails.
The idea was quite popular (see old thread) so I guess this bump is a public service thing. ;)

Any news on ottd capacity to manage new road types ?
'Public service' is the worst excuse for a bump I've ever heard.

I have read some of this and the project seams quite interesting, there's allot of work towards new road types, forgive me if this has already been raised, but could you make it useing code from this patch that new road types can be added via new grf, I imagine that would make allot of people very happy.
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Nope, none of my code can be used for this, for two reason. One, it's a completely different thing. Two, unfortunately I lost my code on this patch some time ago.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Roujin wrote:Two, unfortunately I lost my code on this patch some time ago.
Which in itself is a shame :o .

Regarding road types, far as I know peter1138 has done a bit of a disappear, which probably knocks them on the head for a bit. Unless anyone knows different...
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

andythenorth wrote:
Roujin wrote:Two, unfortunately I lost my code on this patch some time ago.
Which in itself is a shame :o .
I'm really sorry, especially for you, andy, since you also put work in this.
On the other hand, it would have had zero chance for trunk inclusion anyway (or so I was told back then), because no new roadtypes should be added before we have some kind of flexible system, i.e. newgrf definable roadtypes.
And when are at that point, your graphics can still be made into a newgrf, so it was not completely futile for you to make them :)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Roujin wrote:And when are at that point, your graphics can still be made into a newgrf, so it was not completely futile for you to make them :)
I don't mind, I learnt to draw something other than bulldozers, it was useful and fun ;)

I am hopeful that someone eventually picks up road (and rail) types. I'm not in a rush. I started playing OTTD for nostalgia; the reason I've kept playing for about three years is that every so often awesome new things come along like:
- reliable newgrf support
- new industry / new cargo support
- drive through road stops
- PBS (insanely awesome)
- freeform map edges
And then every so often there's a major newgrf set released which is another kind of variety.

Basically I need new stuff to keep me playing, and I don't want it all at once. I'm looking for evolution not perfection :)

So here's hoping these make trunk one day (in a nice slow-released way):
- cargo distribution
- improved RV acceleration
- more height levels
- new road and rail types

And meanwhile we know we can look forward to:
- FIRS set
- P1JK set
- FISH set
- TAI
- HEQS improvements :D
- Swedish houses
- maybe one day a North American Road vehicle set :shock:
- maybe an OTTD compatible CanSet 3

Hey ho, back to the nfo...
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

Hmm, nice to hear a third type of road is coming :)

My ideas is that trams + trail and trail + road is unviable, because the first would mean we need another offset (hey, who's car can drove directly coincidence on a slightly bare rail ?) and the second is because its just too silly to get them together. Or we need to change the dirt into some kind of sand on the first case.
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。
YNM
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by YNM »

andythenorth wrote:
Yoursnotmine wrote:Hmm, nice to hear a third type of road is coming :)
It isn't. This is an old thread discussing a long-dead proof-of-concept patch. :)
Oops, sorry, I think this thread is a continuing of this thread instead, and all of the post are new.

Sorry to all moderators, for mislooking the date of post, and for this additional post. Just to clear things up :o
YNM = yoursNotMine - Don't get it ?
「ヨーッスノットマイン」もと申します。

Return to “OpenTTD Development”