linux compile from source

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andyp
Engineer
Engineer

linux compile from source

Post by andyp »

I've download the .0.6.0 source and am trying to compile and install the game. I do a ./configure and I get a message about no video driver found, choosing dedicated server only. The video works fine, with the proper driver installed, and the x environment is also working just fine. Installing using the resulting makefile results in having a dedicated server installation (which runs fine). Is there a way to install overiding the video driver check?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: linux compile from source

Post by DaleStan »

Yes. By following the directions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
cirdan
Director
Director

Post by cirdan »

andyp wrote:I've download the .0.6.0 source and am trying to compile and install the game. I do a ./configure and I get a message about no video driver found, choosing dedicated server only. The video works fine, with the proper driver installed, and the x environment is also working just fine. Installing using the resulting makefile results in having a dedicated server installation (which runs fine). Is there a way to install overiding the video driver check?
Overriding the video driver check is not the best course of action. Those checks are there for a reason, and disabling them is likely to cause a bunch of errors during compilation (unless you know very well what you are doing). It is usually better to understand why the check is failing, and try to fix it.

In your case, I guess you are using a distribution with split run-time/development packages for SDL. Try looking for a package named libsdl-devel or similar and installing it, and check if this solves the problem.
andyp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andyp »

cirdan, That worked. Added libsdl1.2debian-all to the system, and I didn't get the video driver message. Everything seems to work just fine now. That package only added 24kB to the system, as I already had the rest of it. Guess it was just that one little chunk that was needed. Thanks.

DaleStan, the instruction have nothing about the issue I was having. I had already run through the instructions and installed the required packages.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Yes, they do. The instructions say to install all the SDL development libraries. You just finished admitting to having done so, and admitting that fixed the problem.

I think that means you skipped part of the instructions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
andyp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andyp »

The instructions say "OpenTTD requires the SDL development libraries to be installed.", under Debian "libsdl1.2-dev (required)". The additional package I downloaded libsdl1.2debian-all, adds two files not included in libsdl1.2-dev, which is the SDL Development Files. libSDL-1.2.so.0, and libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.0. It seems that one or both of these was required for the full version of OTTD to run on this system rather than just the dedicated server, which installed fine using the packages listed in the instructions.
einKarl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by einKarl »

Hi,

what about adding Problem and Solution to the Wiki?

Servus
KS
andyp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by andyp »

einKarl wrote:Hi,

what about adding Problem and Solution to the Wiki?

Servus
KS
Done, although I'm not sure if the style I used is preferred.
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/GNU/L ... and_Ubuntu

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”