Possible Method to Get Around 224 Vehicle Limit?

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Possible Method to Get Around 224 Vehicle Limit?

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Tinkering with the Locomotion scenario editor, I noticed something interesting:

I had added some bridge packs from DATCrawler. Locomotion has a limit to the number of bridges used in-game. Somehow, due to dependencies, perhaps, I had more bridges selected by default, than the limit allows.

I think the limit was 16, and I had at least 20 that I could not un-select.

All appeared in the game as far as I could tell.

Building on this, is it possible to set a vehicle to be dependent on something? For example, if I add a narrow gauge locomotive, then the narrow gauge track is compulsory, as the narrow gauge equipment depends on it.

The dependencies could, in theory, be something simple. Use the North America megapack for example: Way more vehicles than 224. Perhaps one could group them (Santa Fe Super Chief equipment in one group, Union Pacific passenger in another, and so on). Each group could be compulsory if using a building from the default Locomotion objects. This way, set the region to North America, and the default buildings will come with the trains assigned to it.

Not sure if this makes sense, or if it would work, or even if doable. I don't think it would require touching the EXE either.
Without Trains America Stops

lsbc
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Possible Method to Get Around 224 Vehicle Limit?

Post by lsbc »

The reason you got more than 8 bridges is the way the game handles the dat files for roads and tracks. for example I would say your narrow gauge and standard gauge tracks have different bridges listed such as for narrow gauge

Code: Select all

<useobject desc="bridge[0]" class="14">BRDGBRCK</useobject>
	<useobject desc="bridge[1]" class="14">BRDGSTAR</useobject>
	<useobject desc="bridge[2]" class="14">BRDGGIRD</useobject>
	<useobject desc="bridge[3]" class="14">BRDGSUSP</useobject>
	<useobject desc="bridge[4]" class="14">BRDGWOOD</useobject>
and standard track

<useobject desc="bridge[0]" class="14">BRDGBRCK</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[1]" class="14">BRDGSTAR</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[2]" class="14">BRDGSTEL</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[3]" class="14">BRDGSUSP</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[4]" class="14">BRDGARCH</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[5]" class="14">BRDGWOOD</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[6]" class="14">BRDGGIRD</useobject>
		<useobject desc="bridge[7]" class="14">BRDGCAUS</useobject>
and the road dats have completely different bridges listed then yes you might get all then bridges unclickable in editor but never seen

<variable name="numbridges" size="1">5</variable>
seen in with numvehicles listed anywhere in any of the dats I've made or read to learn from
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

Not exactly related but I sometimes get a bug in the game that lets me use a bridge I just used with for example railroad track with a road even though it's not coded into the DAT or selected in the scenario editor.
Opan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Opan »

As far as I can tell, this isn't possible because track and buildings/industries/vehicles are in completely different classes. I've tried editing the region to have more then 16 industries, and nothing happened in game other then lomo beginning to glitch out because it didn't like what I did to it.

I tried a few other things, like the tracktype for certain cars, only switched up with industries or vehicles. No results other then the similar graphical glitches as before. Tried with the track as well, switching bridges or signals for buildings, but again same graphical glitches and nothing else. I also tried adding default object types similar to the region dat but it didn't work either.

Granted I definitely don't know my way around the xml compared to some forum members, but from what I can see, it can't be done based on my testing.
The Tram man
Chairman
Chairman

Post by The Tram man »

IrmoTrainfan wrote:Not exactly related but I sometimes get a bug in the game that lets me use a bridge I just used with for example railroad track with a road even though it's not coded into the DAT or selected in the scenario editor.
Same here! It happens from time to time that Plastiks concrete bridge(can't remember the name) becomes avalible for the standard road if i only drag the construction square over that same bridge.
lsbc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lsbc »

The drag over glitch was mentioned in this or another forum long ago and I've had the annoying effect occur to me. I use a number of different track types and the xmls for them have different default bridges etc. Many of the things I see happen when I use them have been stated before but the strangest is when it comes to bridges and track mods. I use 2 different (standard gauge) tracks, the original and the night mode ( yes during daylight, it gives a different ballast look or older less used track look). Anyways I've had a few times when a electric was running without catenary or 3rd rail. I've also adapted the high speed to run regular trains.
Zakos
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zakos »

A number of other "required" objects are coded into any given object. For instance, if you started from scratch in the editor and selected a tanker wagon, it would automatically select the railway track, which would automatically select the bridges it uses. However, there are no objects that "require" vehicles, so this method will not work.

It will, however, get you as many bridges as you want, as long as you know how to code it to do so.
Densha
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Densha »

When I coded many bridges in multiple types of tracks, at a certain moment it started saying something like "You've selected too many objects.".

Return to “General Locomotion”