Making a station with a waiting bay?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ian9113
Engineer
Engineer

Making a station with a waiting bay?

Post by ian9113 »

Hey everyone, mostly a lurker but I have a question about signaling in stations. My current setup is usually 3 track stations, using path signals at either entrance. The center track is used for express trains that don't stop at the station. This usually works fine, with local trains using outer tracks, and express trains bypassing them in the center track. However, the main issue is that sometimes the local trains will leave the station before the express trains can get to the path signal at the other end--this has the effect of stopping the express train and forcing it to wait for the local trains to leave.

My question is if it's possible to use some kind of signal setup, either with programmable signals or the usual ones, to create a setup where the local trains will wait for the express trains to clear the station before leaving. My visualization of the code is this:

Tracks are A and B. Local trains use track A, express through trains use track B when track A is occupied. At the exit signal for track A, the signal would only be green if track B is unoccupied.

Does anyone know how to do this? I have tried to use exit, entry, and path signals but haven't found a reliable way to do it. I should also mention that the outer tracks of the given station are one-directional, while the center track can be used in either direction.

Thanks!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Making a station with a waiting bay?

Post by Alberth »

It sounds like you want openttdcoop priority magic:
http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/Priority
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

It's possible to link non-adjacent tracks as part of the same station,so you could eliminate the center platform and run the track straight through.Would the modified signal blocks help your problem?
lcd_47
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lcd_47 »

Can you please post a screenshot of what you have now?

Return to “General OpenTTD”