French Trains Set - Narrow Gauge: Translations needed!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: French Trains Set - Narrow Gauge: Playtesting phase

Post by Snail »

michael blunck wrote: Although it´s possible to move the location of the spark effect alongside the locomotive, it´s not really possible to move it in height, except by an "action0A" (sprite replacement). But this would affect all electric engines, not only those 3rd rail ones.

Best thing would be to switch off the effect for 3rd rail.
Oh, I see! Then yes, it would make sense to take it out for the 3rd rail engines.
dandan wrote:1. If you build a 230T with bogie coaches and refit to "Chemin de fer de la Provence", the refit option for third class disappears.
Yes, this is intended. Chemins de Fer de la Provence ever had any 3rd class coaches ;) Perhaps I should document it better.
dandan wrote:2. I think it would be good to include the traction type for each powered vehicle in the name, as in most other sets. This may be a bit cheesy, but without this it becomes cumbersome to browse the purchase menu for an electric or rackrail locomotive if you don't know your way around in the set.
I see your point... perhaps the list as it is now might be confusing. Especially, the 021T doesn't stand out and it might look like just a normal loco, while it's actually a rackrail engine. I'll try to find a solution for this.
dandan wrote:3. I do not find the small passenger coaches used with the Sécheron completely convincing, at least compared to the others. The diagonal views seem a bit muddled and look more like goods wagons to me.
Quite an interesting feedback. I think I see what you mean.
In reality, those coaches had many side doors (1 per compartment, per side), so their sides appeared, if you will, to be visually "broken" by many vertical lines, corresponding to those doors. I tried to recreate this effect by alternating light and dark vertical lines on my models. But perhaps, in the diagonal views, I kind of overdid and put too much contrast, so those vertical breaks are too prominent (hence they look like freight cars).
The early wagons for the CF Corses have a similar texturing, but perhaps they look a little bit better because they're all painted dark green. With other colors, instead (such as the light brown of the "La Mure" coaches you mentioned), the contrast becomes a bit to strong.
This is an important point, because in the standard gauge set, there will be many old-timer coaches with similar doors, which will exhibit the same effect. So I'll make sure I revise them when I add the missing vehicles to this set. :)
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

A big WOW from me to. :D
It looks just lovely, pretty small but with a lot of detail, animated locos, livery overrides - a truly amazin piece of work!
And it´s fun to play!

The livery overrides are somewhat confusing at times, the specs in in build menu are often misleading. (filter in build menu "RB, Corse, Coreze"?) Could there be an override CdN for 030T?
Small bug: capacity of the mixed mail/pax depends on position in train.
Pic1.png
Pic1.png (33.94 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
Pic2.png
Pic2.png (31.91 KiB) Viewed 3554 times
There are some concerns about realism and playability. The freight stock struggles to deal with larger amounts of freight (at least if it should still look like narrow gauge operation). I guess that would be the job of the upcoming standard gauge set than. In my game the trains collect the small production from the the local (unsupplied FIRS-) farms on the way (pretty much what the real CF secondaires did). The choice of different cargos displayed on the freight cars is really cool (I like the apples!), the cars are a bit small compared to the Generic Cars grf.
The pax capacities are rather high which is unfair because the freight multiplier does not apply for pax. This makes pax traffic highly profitable, but reducing the pax income (via grf) on the other hand would break the balancing of any other set in the game. I would suggest increasing the loading speed for coaches, it takes much, much longer than loading a goods van.
A dual gauge track would be welcome.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Hey there.
Another bug report:

The 230T has ingame a TE of 163, while the manual says it should have only 62kN. What`s correct?

BR
Paul
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
dandan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by dandan »

Snail wrote: Yes, this is intended. Chemins de Fer de la Provence ever had any 3rd class coaches ;) Perhaps I should document it better.
Okay, so this means there is a hierarchy in the refit options: You always choose a company and then the class on top of that. That makes sense and should not be a problem, once people are aware of it. Perhaps one way to make this clearer would be to show the name of the current company before the class. Say the current company is Chemins de fer de la Provence, then instead of showing
Passengers (Réseau Breton)
Passengers (Chemins de fer de la Provence)
Passengers (3rd class)
Passengers (1st/2nd class)
Passengers (bains de mer)

in the refit window, you could make it
Passengers (Réseau Breton)
Passengers (Chemins de fer de la Provence)
Passengers (CP 3rd class)
Passengers (CP 1st/2nd class)
Passengers (CP bains de mer)

Of course, you would need a lot more strings. And it might be a nuisance to code, perhaps more trouble than it is worth.
Snail wrote: In reality, those coaches had many side doors (1 per compartment, per side), so their sides appeared, if you will, to be visually "broken" by many vertical lines, corresponding to those doors. I tried to recreate this effect by alternating light and dark vertical lines on my models. But perhaps, in the diagonal views, I kind of overdid and put too much contrast, so those vertical breaks are too prominent (hence they look like freight cars).
I see. Now that I know why the coaches look like this, they already look much better to me ;-) (That's something I have experienced before with TTD sprites). Still, maybe just keep it in mind.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Great to see continuing constructive feedback. Much much appreciated! :D
Coxx wrote:The livery overrides are somewhat confusing at times, the specs in in build menu are often misleading. (filter in build menu "RB, Corse, Coreze"?)
Meaning that sometimes the specs change across the different liveries? Well, that's true for the 030T. Unluckily, I don't think we can display more than one value for specs (such as max speed, power, TE...) in the purchase menu. Perhaps I could document it better in the manual.
And I don't know if we can filter the purchase menu by something custom such as the supported liveries... ?
Coxx wrote:Could there be an override CdN for 030T?
Hmm, what do you mean exactly? CdN is one possible livery for the 030T after 1922...
Coxx wrote:Small bug: capacity of the mixed mail/pax depends on position in train.
[x] Fixed. :oops: The mixed coach will change depending on the presence or not of short pax wagons in the train. If a short pax coach is present, the train will be "local" and short mixed wagons will appear; OTOH, if there are no short pax coaches, long mixed wagons will appear. My mistake was to was only check for the wagons *after* the mixed wagon, as opposed to checking *in the whole consist*. That's why the mixed wagon was "short" in the 1st case (short pax coach at the end of the train) and "long" in the 2nd case (short pax coach at the head of the train).
Coxx wrote:The freight stock struggles to deal with larger amounts of freight (at least if it should still look like narrow gauge operation). I guess that would be the job of the upcoming standard gauge set then.
Exactly! ;) NG trains are not really made for heavy freight transportation. They suffer now because of their SG counterparts' absence. NG should be used for local, short-distance hauling, like you did in your game! :)
Coxx wrote:The choice of different cargos displayed on the freight cars is really cool (I like the apples!), the cars are a bit small compared to the Generic Cars grf.
Thanks! :D As for the cars, I also think they might be a bit small. They might be hard to recognize, especially the old models, with their dark grey (vinyl) roofs. I drew them in the same scale as the wagons, but perhaps they could be a little bit bigger. The problem is that I drew so many different car models, that it would be quite time consuming to change them all. I'll have a 2nd look at them anyway.
Coxx wrote:The pax capacities are rather high which is unfair because the freight multiplier does not apply for pax. This makes pax traffic highly profitable, but reducing the pax income (via grf) on the other hand would break the balancing of any other set in the game. I would suggest increasing the loading speed for coaches, it takes much, much longer than loading a goods van.
Perhaps it's true, but I used real numbers for capacities (both freight and pax). I'll have a look into the loading speeds too. In any case, there is a significant difference between the loading amounts of the "compartment" coaches with many doors, and those with doors at the extremities only; the latter have a higher capacity, but a lower loading amount.
Coxx wrote:A dual gauge track would be welcome.
Hehe... The problem is the limited number of railtypes simultaneously available (the whole French set will fill all the 16 slots!)
The Irish wrote:The 230T has ingame a TE of 163, while the manual says it should have only 62kN. What`s correct?
[x] Fixed. Good catch! 62kN is the correct number, of course ;)
dandan wrote:Okay, so this means there is a hierarchy in the refit options: You always choose a company and then the class on top of that.
Yep, that's the way it works! You first choose the company by refitting the engine only; then, you choose the class among the available ones, by refitting the single coaches.
dandan wrote:That makes sense and should not be a problem, once people are aware of it. Perhaps one way to make this clearer would be to show the name of the current company before the class.
[...]
Of course, you would need a lot more strings. And it might be a nuisance to code, perhaps more trouble than it is worth.
Got your point. I think it would make sense. I'll have to see if that's easily implementable.
As an alternative, I might just document it further in the donotreadme.
dandan wrote:I see. Now that I know why the coaches look like this, they already look much better to me ;-) (That's something I have experienced before with TTD sprites). Still, maybe just keep it in mind.
Yes, I definitely will.
Another way to see this, is to buy a 030 030T Mallet steamer, attach some pre-1920 bogie coaches, and refit them to tourists. hint hint ;)

(btw the correct link to the old "La Mure" coaches is this...)

Another general feedback I got is that the set as it is might generate some confusion around the passenger coaches' max speed (especially the bogie-mounted ones):
* The short pax coaches show a max speed of 40 km/h; this is always intended to be the case, except for a few "tramway"-like trains that were a bit faster (45 km/h), namely trains pulled by the 030T Tramway engine, and by Petit Anjou or Blanc-Argent 030T;
* The bogie-mounted pax coaches show a max speed of 55 km/h, which corresponds to the highest speed reached by a steamer (the 120T and 230T), but when attached to a Z100 EMU or a BB600cv diesel, capable of 60 km/h, the coaches will also be allowed to run at 60. Perhaps I should just change their max speed to 60 km/h in the purchase menu.
* The freight wagons sometimes slow the train down, sometimes they don't; this is a bug that would be erased if the new switch I inquired about can be implemented in OTTD.
And in any case, I will document this better in the manual.

So many good points to make this set better! Please keep them coming ;)
Coxx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Coxx »

Snail wrote:Great to see continuing constructive feedback. Much much appreciated! :D
Coxx wrote:The livery overrides are somewhat confusing at times, ...
Meaning that sometimes the specs change across the different liveries?...
My pleasure! No, it´s more about the capacities - in the build menu mail van is stated to have a capacity of 25 bags of mail - playing RB it only holds 12. But that´s just a first impression, most people will probably do what I did: having a big repaint-party in the depot until they find what suits them best (and getting to know the set better by the way :lol: ).
Snail wrote:
Coxx wrote:Could there be an override CdN for 030T?
Hmm, what do you mean exactly? CdN is one possible livery for the 030T after 1922...
:oops: , my game has only reached the year 1908 by now, I guess that means "Lulu" :lol: .
I try to mimic one company for each line, it would be nice to have also an earlier 030T, when there is a later loco of a certain company. i.e. CdN, Cambrésis, etc.
hmm...
hmm...
Pic3.png (34.72 KiB) Viewed 3413 times
Snail wrote:
Coxx wrote:A dual gauge track would be welcome.
Hehe... The problem is the limited number of railtypes simultaneously available (the whole French set will fill all the 16 slots!)
:shock:
I mainly thought about that different trains could share a station or cross at the same level.
Snail wrote:So many good points to make this set better! Please keep them coming ;)
If you ask me, most points are relativly minor, this is absolutly great stuff allready! So don´t bother to much fiddling around those "rivets".
well, there is one serious deficit ... :lol:
Snail wrote:They suffer now because of their SG counterparts' absence.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:Now I have a shiny new version of the GRF my problem seems to have disappeared :)

Appears to be back again - using Beta 4 with no GRFs loaded - the French set is disabled and I have no rails
Unnamed, 01-01-2000#2.png
Unnamed, 01-01-2000#2.png (25.85 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Ouch. Then it might be a problem of compatibility between the beta and the set?

Perhaps some OTTD developer could help us dig into this? I can send them the .GRF if they'd be up to seeing what's going on here!
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

What does running openttd -d grf=1 tell you about the set, as to why it's disabled? Increase the number to get more detailed information if needed.
Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

FooBar wrote:What does running openttd -d grf=1 tell you about the set, as to why it's disabled? Increase the number to get more detailed information if needed.
Nothing as far as I can see - level 1

dbg: [grf] Loading GRF 4A430201 from ng_frails.grf
dbg: [grf] Loading GRF 4A430101 from frsetw.grf
dbg: [grf] GRFInfo: Loaded GRFv8 set FF4F5454 - OpenTTD's base graphics (palett
e: DOS, version: 0)
dbg: [grf] GRFInfo: Loaded GRFv7 set 4A430201 - French Rails Set Protoype v0.101
27/1/2012 (palette: DOS, version: 1)
dbg: [grf] GRFInfo: Loaded GRFv7 set 4A430101 - French Trains Set Protoype v0.10
2 29/1/2012 (palette: DOS, version: 2)
dbg: [grf] GRFInfo: Loaded GRFv7 set 4A430201 - French Rails Set Protoype v0.101
dbg: [grf] GRFInfo: Loaded GRFv7 set 4A430101 - French Trains Set Protoype v0.10

on level 2:

dbg: [grf] LoadNewGRFFile: Reading NewGRF-file 'ng_frails.grf'
dbg: [grf] [ng_frails.grf:1] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [ng_frails.grf:3] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] LoadNewGRFFile: Reading NewGRF-file 'frsetw.grf'
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:3] ParamSet: Unknown Patch variable 0x06.
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:22] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:1387] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] LoadNewGRFFile: Reading NewGRF-file 'OPENTTD.GRF'
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:4] SkipIf: Skipping 3 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:510] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:511] SkipIf: Skipping 241 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:804] SkipIf: Skipping 91 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:896] SkipIf: Skipping 91 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:988] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1080] SkipIf: Skipping 91 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1268] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1299] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1315] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1440] SkipIf: Skipping 12 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1453] SkipIf: Skipping 12 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1466] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1479] SkipIf: Skipping 12 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1534] SkipIf: Skipping 9 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:1544] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:2964] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3026] SkipIf: Skipping 2 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3029] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3038] SkipIf: Skipping 15 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3057] SkipIf: Skipping 6 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3064] SkipIf: Skipping 6 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3071] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3088] SkipIf: Skipping 2 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3095] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3106] SkipIf: Skipping 10 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3117] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3140] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3197] SkipIf: Skipping 2 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3200] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3203] SkipIf: Skipping 10 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3214] SkipIf: Skipping 10 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3225] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3236] SkipIf: Skipping 10 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3486] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3740] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:3994] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [OPENTTD.GRF:4122] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [ng_frails.grf:151] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [ng_frails.grf:454] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] LoadNewGRFFile: Reading NewGRF-file 'frsetw.grf'
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:1] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:3] ParamSet: Unknown Patch variable 0x06.
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:4] SkipIf: Skipping 1 sprites, test was true
dbg: [grf] [frsetw.grf:6] SkipIf: Skipping 0 sprites, test was true

(snip)

dbg: [grf] [ng_frails.grf:151] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
dbg: [grf] [ng_frails.grf:454] SkipIf: Not skipping sprites, test was false
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

The GRFs load fine in r23902.

Another bug (?): an A150D2 refit to/from "La Flèche des Cevennes" costs ~$ 1000, while other refits are free.
Also, its livery for the Provence rail company doesn't vary by construction time, while that of the A80D does (bug or not?).
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

oberhümer wrote:Another bug (?): an A150D2 refit to/from "La Flèche des Cevennes" costs ~$ 1000, while other refits are free.
Also, its livery for the Provence rail company doesn't vary by construction time, while that of the A80D does (bug or not?).
Both intended. The "Flèche des Cevennes" was a "luxury" service provided on those DMUs, which even included a small onboard bar. This is why it's more expensive to refit to it. However, that refit provides a much slower cargo aging, resulting in a higher revenue when hauling passengers over long distances. The livery stuck to grey-red, even after the normal service DMUs were repainted to cream-red.
Perhaps I should document this better in the manual :p
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Small report, not sure if bug or intended:
The 030 030T comes in two liveries: Viverais and Reseau Breton. When I build two of them in the depot, both have per default the Viverais livery but when I add them to double traction, the second engine automatically switches to Reseau Breton, so I have a consist with two different liveries. If I than want to add waggons, I first need to refit both engines to R. Breton. The Viverais livery is not available any longer.
It's a bit painful to handle.

EDIT:
Another thing about the 030 030T. I think it is too cheap to run. After all, Mallets were quit complex and I assume they would have needed A LOT more maintenance. Somehow, the 030 030T is very dominant in the game, as it is only marginal more expensive then the 040T which is introduced around the same time. The 040 is weaker and slower but only little less expensive in running costs. So I have not found much use for the 040T.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
kackofant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kackofant »

a while ago i found a nother glitch in the running-cost/power calculations

the three-axle diesel-engines of the thirtys react a bit buggy if they vombined with 4-axle-caches

@last picture: some testing for fun: would it be possible, to add "standard-waggon" (non frenchset ng waggons) to the french locos? at the moment it is possible to couple japanese engines with french ones but not vis-a-vis
Attachments
normal calculation (only 2-axle waggons)
normal calculation (only 2-axle waggons)
Hawthorn & Co., 2. Mai 1945.png (39.6 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
the buggy one => far too high to use it
the buggy one => far too high to use it
Hawthorn & Co., 7. Mai 1945.png (39.73 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
1000mm + 1067mm gauge
1000mm + 1067mm gauge
Little Pronningwell Transport, 5. Apr 1918.png (47.73 KiB) Viewed 2955 times
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

kackofant wrote: would it be possible, to add "standard-waggon" (non frenchset ng waggons) to the french locos? at the moment it is possible to couple japanese engines with french ones but not vis-a-vis
You sure?
Attachments
Dratburg Transport, 4th Feb 20000.png
s'(c) = 0; s''(c) < 0
(56.62 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
kackofant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kackofant »

i tryed the B-B mallets and they did not work. its possible that ive refittet them, but if im right i tryed both possible liveries and both did not work.

did you tryed other engines beside the tramway? maybe some will couple and some not... i should test this...

@oberhürmer: did you try youre ng-engines with the french set? it seems that they get overwritten. but a prussian t31 next to the french C-engine would be also nice (and much more realistic: the franzburger kleinbahn for example used Lenz-type engine next to one or two french C1-steamers)

/edit: looking at my screenshot again i definitively (?) refittet the mallets... i have to try that again -.-
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

That's interesting. Are you guys using the parameter that ignores the French Rails Set?
kackofant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kackofant »

yes. but i did not tested it very well. it would be much nicer to see, the jap engines on the french rail but i doubt it would work.
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

The reason why foreign wagons can't be attached to French NG locos is because the set's locos define the list of wagons that can be attached to them. This list is "closed", meaning that any vehicle not in the list can't be attached.
OTOH, there is no restriction as to what a vehicle (loco or wagon) can be attached *to*. Hence the Japanese locos being able to pull French wagons, or the invisible engine being able to pull a train that includes a 030T Tramway. (I might "correct" this "glitch" in the next version, though :twisted: )

As for the Japanese engines running on French tracks, I'm afraid it's not possible, unless those engines get coded so that they can run on NAAN-labeled tracks. It's really a question for that set's developers (which might be a good idea anyway, as the labels I'm using will also be shared by other sets!)
kackofant
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kackofant »

i think the problem is, that the jap set is quite old. i play this version quite a while, if im not wrong. so i think, that the jap trains would drive on the standard tracks (which are delivered with the set) and the french rails would stand beside (or better below) them. i dont know how openttd handles the new tracks (= more than the 4 "classic"-railtypes) but im the worst case it could overwrite the shinkansen tracks. as i wrote, i will make further tests at the weekend. my main-goal was to find a proper solution for a european scenario, which satisfied me and a friend of mine.

btw: youre set is very well balanced. i played the whole weekend with a buddy on a custumbuild version of ottd based on the actual beta and i managed to make a lot of money at the beginning and my narrow gauge network can still compete (more or less) with his huge networks (but we're now in the middle of the sixtys and when the new modern normal-gauge waggons came (more speed+capacity) he will definitly run away... but hey i dominated over 40 years with my rather small network and i make enough money to buy some shares(?) of him :D)

Return to “Graphics Development”