Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:16 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

This is the Modern Train Stations Set (MTSS), made by Red*Star (graphics) and XeryusTC (coding).

!!! Download v1.0-beta from viewtopic.php?p=908360#p908360 !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: The old "first post":

Didn't know where to post this else, and because OTTD is going 32bpp and just 3D graphic creation makes longer sense for it in my mind, I made a new thread here in the TTDPatch forum.

First of all, before you cry how damn big that thing is, and that it's too big and ugly and whatever comes into your mind ;) :
It's a work in progress, I know it's not very detailed, has wrong colors and looks kinda boring. (But, I mean, so many reinforced-concrete-buildings in the real world look also VERY boring.)
It's inspired by the german station Hannover Messe/Laatzen, but not an exact copy.

Now it's your turn: I can't decide me for a roof pattern (I mean the roof of the platform skywalks), so maybe you can help me a little bit. See "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png", upper graphic (A) for the following questions:
The white roofs:
- cross striped or
- lengthwise striped as seen in the background one.
The grey roofs:
- bare
- striped
- striped and shaded or
- narrow striped as seen in the background skywalk.

Last but not least:
I can still modify the height of the building, and also think that it is needed... I don't know why, but although (see "Hannover Messe Laatzen.png" pic) my building is just 3 pixels taller than the big station hall of one of Michael Bluncks great stations, it looks disproportional higher, not to say "damn-huge" Wink. Maybe it's the "window" pattern... The "windows" which you see are something like 2-3 meters in height, but unfortunately they /seem/ to be bigger.

I've made also two variations of the Messe/Laatzen station: The one in the middle, (B) (in "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png"), has less taller skywalks, the one below (C) has a smaller main hall. Maybe it would be the best to make a version which unites both variations, but first I would like to read your opinions.

Attachments:
Hannover Messe Laatzen.png
Hannover Messe Laatzen.png [ 66.22 KiB | Viewed 30222 times ]
Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png
Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png [ 55.03 KiB | Viewed 30228 times ]

Last edited by Red*Star on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:28 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:22 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Wow :shock: , looks very nice. :shock:

I also think the arch is a bit too big, therefore the example C looks best.
The roof should be a bit darker though, more like A maybe even a bit darker.
The skywalk with the narrow stripes looks the best if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:28 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

It looks beautiful!!!

Although, i would try and add some more ttd feeling to it (rougher colors on the roof. It looks a bit too smooth unless you want to create a set with buildings that are very smooth...) All in all an accomplishment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:34 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

hmmm, that looks quite nice. i agree on it not really being TTD-style, but who cares. it looks great! :)

"On the other hand, I have different fingers" -- The rascal formerly known as astath, loathing you and more specifically your religion. Anti-theist, be like it. -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club -- Good times.

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:52 pm 
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Of those choices, C gets my vote. There's something off with the lighting I think, though I can't place my finger on it. (I like the 'scales' on the main hall in the recent version.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:55 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Red*Star wrote:
Didn't know where to post this else, and because OTTD is going 32bpp and just 3D graphic creation makes longer sense for it in my mind, I made a new thread here in the TTDPatch forum.

First of all, before you cry how damn big that thing is, and that it's too big and ugly and whatever comes into your mind ;) :
It's a work in progress, I know it's not very detailed, has wrong colors and looks kinda boring. (But, I mean, so many reinforced-concrete-buildings in the real world look also VERY boring.)
It's inspired by the german station Hannover Messe/Laatzen, but not an exact copy.

Now it's your turn: I can't decide me for a roof pattern (I mean the roof of the platform skywalks), so maybe you can help me a little bit. See "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png", upper graphic (A) for the following questions:
The white roofs:
- cross striped or
- lengthwise striped as seen in the background one.
The grey roofs:
- bare
- striped
- striped and shaded or
- narrow striped as seen in the background skywalk.

Last but not least:
I can still modify the height of the building, and also think that it is needed... I don't know why, but although (see "Hannover Messe Laatzen.png" pic) my building is just 3 pixels taller than the big station hall of one of Michael Bluncks great stations, it looks disproportional higher, not to say "damn-huge" Wink. Maybe it's the "window" pattern... The "windows" which you see are something like 2-3 meters in height, but unfortunately they /seem/ to be bigger.

I've made also two variations of the Messe/Laatzen station: The one in the middle, (B) (in "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png"), has less taller skywalks, the one below (C) has a smaller main hall. Maybe it would be the best to make a version which unites both variations, but first I would like to read your opinions.

Very very very very nice :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:03 pm 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

If you don't mind, but I think it could work in 256 colors aswell:
(needs a bit cleanup, but it doesn't look that bad consindered I only load a palette without any normal action colors)

Last edited by eis_os on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:00 pm 
President
President

I like B best, but I don't like oskar's version, the roof needs the lines or something like the original. THe structrue of it makes it looke more (for lack of a better word) building-ish. Very nice job, though!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:25 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Thanks for the nice comments. After my last "big job" (in the OTTD thread) - after the oilrig-experience - I thought you would also here discerp me with criticism ;).

@eis_os: I don't know if I understood you right, but the sprite /is already/ 16bpp. Or what do you mean? ?(

@Caelan, astath and who also knocked against the non-TTD-ish look: That did I mean with the "kinda boring look" of it. Seems I have a talent for that :D
Well, time will tell. I hope to get the sprite as flamboyant as possible without destroying it's current charm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:37 pm 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

16bpp is not 8 bit per pixel as TTD uses.

8bpp = 256 colors as in TTD... But with some cleanup and work your sprites could work in TTDPatch aswell in 256 color mode as I showed. (my png image is reduced to only the colors TTD has, 8bpp, if you download it and you have a decent graphic app you can see the reduced TTD palette I used.)

-edit-

Forget it, my graphic app got your png a bit wrong via the clipboard :D
On the other hand, I think you used special colors... I could be wrong however...

Last edited by eis_os on Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:40 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Red*Star wrote:
@Caelan, astath and who also knocked against the non-TTD-ish look: That did I mean with the "kinda boring look" of it. Seems I have a talent for that :D

if it's one thing, it's certainly nót boring. it looks astonishing, really, no matter how dull the original might be. and imagine, if you like creating graphics this way, i wouldn't stop you creating a new graphic set entirely this style. :)

"On the other hand, I have different fingers" -- The rascal formerly known as astath, loathing you and more specifically your religion. Anti-theist, be like it. -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club -- Good times.

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:18 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

astath wrote:
if it's one thing, it's certainly nót boring. it looks astonishing, really, no matter how dull the original might be. and imagine, if you like creating graphics this way, i wouldn't stop you creating a new graphic set entirely this style. :)

*being embarrassed* thank u :)

Erm... unfortunately if I would create a complete graphic set I won't be ready until 2010 :(. Too much work to do for studies. (But I always wanted a reason for chuck it all up - so maybe this would be the right reason :lol: :lol: :lol:)

@eis_os: :oops: Sorry, I /meant/ 8bpp. Dunno how the 16 came into my mind... maybe because of the 16 colors in good old C64... (I am right, eh? C64 /had/ 16 colors, or not?)

However, the sprite /is/ created in 32bpp... sorry... 24bpp with 8bpp alpha channel (oh my goooood, too many numbers... *gettingconfused* :roll: ) and then converted via Photoshop to 8bpp standard TTDPatch colors.
"Special colors" are used, but I of course also have palettes without them (just were to lazy to switch to that palette...). Look at http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Graphics_Replacement, I also done some sprites, so I know what I'm doing, at least I assume that. (Except when working with numbers ;) )

Good n8

Red

PS: Sorry for the smiley-attack... Dunno why, but I fear I am completely messed up after this day. Have to go to bed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:21 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Exactly, i am all in for a new style in ttd, have been trying to create some new buildings of my own, and they are improving i must say...Perhaps in time :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:22 pm 
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

I think it's brilliant, and is very similar to Zimmlock's airport in TTRS 2, so would make a lovely airport-railway station combo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:39 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Very nice! :D I think B version is the best.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:36 pm 
President
President

It is similar to Zimmlocks airport, and you could easail make a skybridge like this :D I'm sure Red*Star could do it better, but............

Attachments:
hanovermockup.jpg
hanovermockup.jpg [ 82 KiB | Viewed 29675 times ]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:57 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

SuperTycoon wrote:
I think it's brilliant, and is very similar to Zimmlock's airport in TTRS 2, so would make a lovely airport-railway station combo.

Uhmm, maybe I also should make the Hannover airport?

*thinking*

Noooooo. :lol:

The skybridge is a very nice idea. It also makes the station sprite layout more symmetrical. Btw: You should know, that there is really a skybridge in the original ;): Connecting the Hannover Messe area (where the EXPO 2000 was) with the train station. I'm often passing it when I went home by train because Hannover is a big railway junction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:21 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Well, "you have chosen" ;):
Then THIS will be the version I'll spend work on in the near future or something.

Attachments:
nextversion.png
nextversion.png [ 16.42 KiB | Viewed 29591 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:58 am 
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Cool, seems to fit the TTD palette too, nice work.
Should be nice to see this when it's all done.

~ Lakie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:36 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

This looks excellent.

I may have misjudged pre-rendered graphics initially, this has a lot of, hmm, soul to it. I honestly thought it was hand drawn till I saw the accurate reflections in the windows..

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!