Game in Development: Train3D

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Game in Development: Train3D

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Hi,

I've been working on a new transportation game and I'm starting to share some details. It's still very early in development but I love the community here and would appreciate feedback and suggestions as the game progresses. I've got a short list of things to wrap up before releasing my first video preview but you can see a few early screenshots on my blog.

The game is inspired by the strategy and transportation games I grew up with like Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon (ChrisSawyerGames.com), Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, and open source reimagining projects like OpenTTD. I'm not sure what form the final game will take but I did start out with some specific objectives:
  • Build a tile-based transportation game - I want tiles, not a mushy ground mesh with random spline tracks
  • Make if 3D - I want the ability to view the world from any direction.
  • 4K resolution - I want the game to run 60fps+ at 3840x2160 resolution
  • C# where possible - C++ is the game language of choice but I'm tired of headers and manual memory management
  • Make it fun - I want to recapture that feeling of being absorbed into the game world and escaping for a little while

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Game in Development: Train3D

Post by orudge »

Interesting work, especially doing it in C#, in terms of performance. Are you using .NET Core?

mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

I'm using Unity for the base engine. C# is used as the scripting language but the low level stuff that comes from the engine is written in C/C++. Unity may even be doing some optimizations where they are compiling C# to C on build. There are certainly some tricks to getting better performance out of C# like not using LINQ and preferring loops by index instead of foreach.

mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Unity doesn't have .NET Core support yet but hopefully will have it soon. It uses .NET Standard 2.0 as the default profile. I believe the whole thing is built on the Mono project at the moment.

orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well, good luck with it! Is the intention for this to be open sourced?

mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

I'm not 100% sure what the commercialization vs. open source will look like yet. Hackable with mods is certainly on the requirements list but I'm not sure if the core engine will end up as open source or not.

mmcconnell1618
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mmcconnell1618 »

Here is a quick video preview of the land engine in the alpha version:

https://youtu.be/VXGZWtcxITc

Return to “Off-Topic”