Passenger Only Signals & Stations

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Passenger Only Signals & Stations

Post by weaselboy246 »

This patch adds a new option when creating a signal or a station. If selected, it will disallow all trains not carrying passengers (or mail), from passing that signal, or using that station. This is my first path finding and tile editing patch attempt, so if something is just completely wrong, tell me. If anybody would care to make better graphics to use instead of the passenger cargo sprite, please do :)
Attachments
SignalFreight.png
SignalFreight.png (25.59 KiB) Viewed 9506 times
StationFreight.png
StationFreight.png (19.42 KiB) Viewed 9506 times
pax_signals_stations_r18467.patch
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Passenger Only Signals & Stations

Post by weaselboy246 »

And some more screenshots...
Attachments
SignalPass.png
SignalPass.png (30.11 KiB) Viewed 9505 times
StationPass.png
StationPass.png (17.93 KiB) Viewed 9505 times
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

This is interesting +downloads+ i often have huge multi-purpose stations where i have both PAX and Cargo in the same complex and dislike passengers using cargo platforms or vice versa, i believe you may have solved my problem :mrgreen: Many thanks, i will report back with any findings beyond what you have already explained :wink:
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Is there some kind of GUI for selecting what type of cargo the signal/station allows?
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

I think, looking at it, it's just Pax/mail.
But, if I could suggest making it possible to select the cargo or cargoes that are allowed to pass a signal?

What I'd like to know, is how does one get these signals - through control-clicking on an existing signal? Or is it added to the signal GUI?
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Gremnon wrote:But, if I could suggest making it possible to select the cargo or cargoes that are allowed to pass a signal?
+1, just because I play with cargo more than I play with Pax and mail.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Oh, just because I have a little surprise in store for a few minutes time... I'm including this patch within my pack. I like the idea of it, and so far it's given me no issues.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

Meanwhile, here is a Linux Ubuntu 9.10 binary bundle.

Edit: Added screenshot.
Attachments
pax_signals_stations_r18467_Ubuntu_9.10.zip
(3.95 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
Here is a screenshot of the selection GUI
Here is a screenshot of the selection GUI
pax_station_selection.png (3.87 KiB) Viewed 9423 times
Last edited by petert on 12 Dec 2009 15:53, edited 1 time in total.
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

I do like the idea of choosing the cargo individually, but there may be a problem with having enough space in the current map structure. Currently it uses 2 additional bits on the integer that handles signals and reservation. That only leaves 2 free bits left. I guess it could just get it's own global table, with a reference to it stored on tile.
petert wrote:Is there some kind of GUI for selecting what type of cargo the signal/station allows?
Heh guess i had forgot to include that in original snapshots. It's just an additional toggle button on gui.
Attachments
Menford Transport, 28th Jun 2000.png
Menford Transport, 28th Jun 2000.png (2.68 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
Menford Transport, 31st Mar 2000.png
Menford Transport, 31st Mar 2000.png (4.96 KiB) Viewed 9418 times
Last edited by weaselboy246 on 12 Dec 2009 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
FHS
Director
Director

Post by FHS »

You mean something like this.
SignalEx

Note however that crakinshot has disappeared.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

weaselboy246 wrote:Heh guess i had forgot to include that in original snapshots. It's just an additional toggle button on gui.
Oops, I included a screenshot in the post above yours.
FHS wrote:Note however that crakinshot has disappeared.
Not exactly. He figured out that his patch won't get into trunk, which was his goal. So, he stopped development of the patch.
Gremnon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Gremnon »

Ah, I see... so both the signal and the station must have that extra toggle button checked. Now I understand.
Now excuse me, I'm going to go experiment with this some more. And actually play a game or two.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

We were discussing this in the other thread, too. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=839443#p839443 orudge says he has set the configuration, but it's not working.
weaselboy246
Engineer
Engineer

Post by weaselboy246 »

Gremnon wrote:Ah, I see... so both the signal and the station must have that extra toggle button checked. Now I understand.
Now excuse me, I'm going to go experiment with this some more. And actually play a game or two.
Not necessarily. I had originally just done the signal, but then I found that it got in the way in PBS areas. So I needed a way to add the same check without it, and so the station addition was born. Note that the entire station line does require the button checked.

That SignalEx does look interesting, but I'd rather not require having it, especially if it is no longer in development.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

Can you make the cargo type(s) which are allowed past the signal or at the platform selectable? That would make this patch much more interesting. If a player could select multiple cargo types (bitmask?) it would be even more interesting and its usefulness would increase significantly.

Anyway, please continue work on this. :bow:
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

A simple workaround for this would be to place a way-point in front of the station platform that is to be used only for loading one sort of cargo.
petert
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by petert »

SirkoZ wrote:A simple workaround for this would be to place a way-point in front of the station platform that is to be used only for loading one sort of cargo.
But, on some strange instances, a train could pass through it anyways, no?
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

petert wrote:
SirkoZ wrote:A simple workaround for this would be to place a way-point in front of the station platform that is to be used only for loading one sort of cargo.
But, on some strange instances, a train could pass through it anyways, no?
I did think about that...but perhaps if only one path signal is used in front of all platforms (on the in-flow line and in front of waypoints) then trains should stick to orders.
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

SirkoZ, have you ever had to change the orders for 100 trains, because you needed to separate the cargo trains from the passenger trains (for whatever reasons)? The patch OP posted makes solving that problem a lot easier. Or were you suggesting that manually iterating through 100 vehicles (most having different orders) and figuring out where to insert the order for the correct waypoint is your idea of fun?

Ofcourse, you can always insert that waypoint when you lay down the station, when you haven't figured out when its needed yet.... but that's kind of pointless (only adds cruft in the order list).

As an added bonus: you don't always have the space for waypoints, but you have the need for some filtering machanism.
Plopsi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Plopsi »

hmm this sounds really interesting. but is it possible to implement a second type for "NO PASSENGERS"? currently only normal (cargo+pass) and pass only is available right? would be nice to set it to disallow passengers.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”