"French Trains Set - freight rolling stock needs drawing

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

fjb
Engineer
Engineer

Re: "French Trains Set - News Release" [Coder needed]

Post by fjb »

Hi,

I would not prefer a more simple set. Your set sounds really interesting.
Ofcourse there are always players who find sets too complicated, they even coplain that TTD ist hard to play. But there are other sets and at least the original set for people who like it more than easy.
Regards
Frank
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jvassie wrote:Ok, so i did some more work :P
Not quite! :wink:
Check your PM's!
:mrgreen:
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Replied, wish you two were on more often :P

Wallyweb, you got MSN btw?

Im working on fixing the alignments as we speak.
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

jvassie wrote:Replied, wish you two were on more often :P

Wallyweb, you got MSN btw?
Actually, the forum sends me an email when I have a new PM and I am on my PC almost everyday ... Atlantic Time though, so I'm usually able to respond within the hour. Sorry .. no MSM ... It doesn't like me, however, if you PM me we can meet in the channel and have a private chat. :wink:
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Here are my latest creations... one is a streamlined version of the 231 Pacific revamped by Chapelon, precisely the 231 H 726. This loco was a one-of-a-kind made for the Paris-Orléans network, starting from the chassis of a "normal" 231 H (also present in the set). In the FRSet, this will be another possible variant of the 231E/G/H/K powered by Chapelon's technology. It will be available from 1937, date when this design was created. The quite unusual bright red livery has been inspired by this painting.

The other one is a very different engine, a Prussian G10 which was very widespread in France. It was first delivered to the Elsaß-Lothringen railroad company starting 1905, when that region was part of the German Empire. Since we want to include at least a couple of engines for all the old companies that would later form SNCF, the choice fell on this model, and two more from the Alsatian school will be added shortly (the last two steamers to be added in the set). It comes in three liveries. First it will have the brown-green livery of KPEV, used until 1918. After this date, when Alsace returned to France, it will appear in the all-black livery of the newly formed AL company. Moreover, many G10's were delivered to France after WWI as war reparations, and they were scattered around, being assigned to almost all of the railroad companies in the country. The PLM network was one of those which benefited most from this, and therefore the FRSet will include this engine in a classic PLM dark green livery as well. After 1938, this engine will only be available in black (only to be discontinued shortly after).
The French denomination of the G10 was "050 B". Here's a picture of one of these locos used in the country.
Thanks to MB for his precious consulting about the latter ;)

As said, only two more steamers are required to have a complete set (steam-wise). After they're done, a taster should be on its way.

Here are the animations of the two models and a mockup. What do you think? Comments and (constructive) criticism are appreciated!

Cheers
Attachments
mockup
mockup
231H726_050B.png (4.42 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
Prussian G10, alias AL / PLM / SNCF 050B
Prussian G10, alias AL / PLM / SNCF 050B
050B.gif (21.16 KiB) Viewed 4470 times
PO / SNCF 231 H 726
PO / SNCF 231 H 726
231H726.gif (12.99 KiB) Viewed 4479 times
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here
Silverx50
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Silverx50 »

these look very pretty, nice work.
and all that information, good stuff
All my projects are GPLv2 License.

Dutch landmark Object Set Workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75071
My stations workshop viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74749
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Snail, I love your work. Bloody brilliant stuff I reckon.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Wonderfull stuff, snail, wonderfull.

Keep it coming.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

6th Page!?! :shock:

Hmm, anyone had any progress on any front here? :P
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You may use any French work I made for the 2ccset (or any other set).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Purno wrote:You may use any French work I made for the 2ccset (or any other set).
Cheers, not sure if we can though, we're trying to rigorously stick to a style guide, i.e. that they all look like they fit into the set together. Thanks for the offer though :)

It's annoying, cause i keep trying to make time to get even a small bit of time to get a bit of coding done, but something keeps coming along :evil:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

You'll probably need 1 artist drawing the whole set then.

Good luck with that...
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Purno wrote:You'll probably need 1 artist drawing the whole set then.

Good luck with that...
ermmm ... I think that would be Snail, no?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Snail doesn't got much time. I'm still waiting for a few steamers for quite a while.
Image Image
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

He's still around, he has already got a lot of the work doen already, but keeps touching the graphics up, continually improving them.

We just need a coder who has more time on their hands than I do. :(
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Do you got enough sprites code-ready then?
Image Image
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Well, not quite for a balanced taster set, but the majority of the early stuff is code-ready to my knowledge.

What we lack at the moment is rolling stock for the early eras i believe
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Rolling stock is often used in multiple countries, so you might be interested in stock of neighbouring countries, like for the Dutch Trainset, Spanish Trainset, etc.

Unless you really want Snail to draw the rolling stock too...
Image Image
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Purno is right, surely a lot of your early French vehicles are very much like the Japanese or Spanish ones. Take a look and let me know if you'd like any of them. Of course they must be properly credited to their respective artists but using them should not be a problem.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

All of the early French steamers and electrics are drawn, and I'm in the process of upgrading them. Some of my work was very old and didn't match the standards I reached in my latest works.

Purno is right, I don't have that much time lately, but I've never thought about dropping the set. I am actually constantly adding new liveries and variants to the existing engines; and with the new possibility of the engine pool, there will be much more engines and liveries than initially planned. This takes quite a little bit of time. Also, the set will be playable since about 1880.

I'm currently not showing each and every model I'm upgrading, but as of now, more than half of the steamers and all of the early electrics (from beginning to 1950) are ready to be coded. The wagons are still in their early stage though. James, if you want me to send you the ready-to-be-coded stuff, just say so.

And, yes, I'd prefer to draw the entire set myself if that's ok with you guys :p I know there are great artists out there whose work I adore, but we'd like this set to be consistent with one style only. Also, did I ever mention the Italian set? I'm working on that too... maybe I'd need to start a new thread?
The French Narrow Gauge Train Set is now released! Get it here

Return to “Graphics Development”