Transmitter Farms?

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Transmitter Farms?

Post by wallyweb »

NOTE: My internet access is down so uploading files is a chore! The local library does not like that.
NOTE: My daily access time is limited, so I am unable to do a proper search to see if this was previously reported.

I started a random new game with r2162. All the farms had a new crop in their fields ... Transmitter Towers ... and it is a bountiful crop too. Unforetunately they are difficult to harvest and transport.
So I investigated:
1. I turned off all grfs except for the mandatory base one. The problem remained.
2. I went to my earliest good Alpha, r2045. The problem remained.
3. I loaded 2.5 beta 9 ... No more problem.
4. I compared the patch cfg for the beta and the alphas and turned off all the new switches in the alpha cfg. No more problem.
5. I turned on the dissabled switches one by one and VOILÀ! The culprit would seem to be experimentalfeatures.newterraingen. When this is set to off, all is well. Turn it on and the seeds of tower deceptions are sown.
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Transmitter Farms?

Post by aahz77 »

You mean like this:
SCR4.png
SCR4.png (81.94 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
... or this:
SCR5.png
SCR5.png (67.4 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
... or this:
SCR6.png
SCR6.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
(you get the idea)

I tried a random new game with my config, which also has newterraingen on, in r2144.

Actually, every transmitter on the map was placed within the range of a farm. Some of the places were unsuitable for a transmitter (in valleys, see SCR6.png), while others are fine (on mountains/hills, see SCR4/5.png), depending on the position of the "corresponding" farm.

When I create a random game with industries = none (the game option, not sure how it's called in the English version), no transmitters at all show up.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I just PM'ed Uzurpator; hopefully he can shed some light on this.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
uzurpator
Transport Empire Moderator
Transport Empire Moderator

Post by uzurpator »

In all honesty - I haven't looked at that code for 3 years now, but if memory serves me - terrain gen does not touch transmitters or other map "placeables"
All art and vehicle stats I authored for TT and derivatives are as of now PUBLIC DOMAIN! Use as you see fit
Just say NO to the TT fan-art sprite licensing madness. Public domain your art as well.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

aahz77 wrote:You mean like this:
All of the above ;-)
When I create a random game with industries = none (the game option, not sure how it's called in the English version), no transmitters at all show up.
Which explains why I didn't notice it until now as usually I create a scenario or I set industries = none.
aahz77
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by aahz77 »

wallyweb wrote:
aahz77 wrote:When I create a random game with industries = none (the game option, not sure how it's called in the English version), no transmitters at all show up.
Which explains why I didn't notice it until now as usually I create a scenario or I set industries = none.
Me too ;) After I reproduced the problem, I switched back to industries = none and started another game, to compare the results.
One after one, by the star-dogged Moon,
Too quick for groan or sigh,
Each turned his face with a ghastly pang,
And cursed me with his eye.

-- Samuel T. Coleridge, The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”