Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Mulitple HQs

Post by ervin2 »

For those of you who enjoy some realism might like this:

What always bugs me is the fact that even in a multi-billion dollar company with hundreds of vehicles, there's always only one HQ controlling it all. In real life there's a headquarters in every town that has a branch of the company. If it's a small store for example, then the store it self serves as sort of an HQ, but there's always an HQ. Major companies have HQ's built all over the place.

I think there should be a difficulty option (that you should be able to modify) that forces the player to build an HQ in a town if a certain number of stations, or perhaps vehicles is exceeded. For example, you can't build a 4th station until you build an HQ.

These HQ's should be different from the original main HQ. 1x1 in size, but still unique from the regular city buildings. It should also have size levels based on the profit of your stations in that particular town/city (The city that has your main HQ doesn't need another one, but you do have to build a second one before you can relocate your main HQ to another town).

This could also expand station limits, for example. If the HQ of a city reaches a certain level, you can build 3 airports/heli-stations as opposed to the original two. The local authority might also be more lenient to a company with a bigger HQ in that particular city, or maybe you are less likely to be caught bribing. On another hand advertising might become more expensive, as it costs money to bring more customers to a bigger company. There are plenty of possibilities.

It would take some work to make the graphics, but I think it would make the game far more interesting.
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mulitple HQs

Post by SwissFan91 »

I had never really thought of this, but as a promotor of realism i think it is a great idea. Although drawing-wise it would take a lot of work, particularly as town packs could make these HQ's look very ordinary.
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

IMO gameplay impact of this change would be equal to zero. What would prevent you from building such HQs in all cities you service?
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

The statue you can build has kinda the same effect, giving a boost to your station ratings in that town. Introducing simply a new graphics for then (e.g. some kind of house graphics) would have the same effect.
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

This feels like your tacking on a micro-mangement that's just not needed. How will it make the game more fun having to build a building after building 4 staitions?

I certainly like the idea of multiple HQ's but hopefully if more people pick up and start using NewObjects then they can come in that way :)
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ervin2 »

How is this micromanagement? Deciding bus routes is micromanagement, this certainly isn't.
ever
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ever »

Well the idea certainly isn't realistic.

Go play a realistic business sim so you can see what realistic actually is.

Here's one http://www.industryplayer.com/
Xander
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Xander »

ervin2 wrote:How is this micromanagement? Deciding bus routes is micromanagement, this certainly isn't.
Er... check the title: Transport Tycoon. Deciding bus routes is a fundamental part of this game!

Also, please read my whole sentence: "micro-mangement that's just not needed." Having to construct a building every time I want more than 4 stations in an area is just pointless.
Real Tycoons do it on Trains!

JAMI: Just Another Moronic Intelligence
hectobar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by hectobar »

just two things, hq's dont cost anything (unless your putting it somewhere else) and they have a passenger output/acceptance so really you can cover the map in hq's and place stations in between them! unless second and onwards hq's cost more every time you build a new one. also the view hq button would become derelict (unless you had a main hq wich is a probable thing).
I'm leaning on a lamp.
ervin2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ervin2 »

hectobar wrote:just two things, hq's dont cost anything (unless your putting it somewhere else) and they have a passenger output/acceptance so really you can cover the map in hq's and place stations in between them! unless second and onwards hq's cost more every time you build a new one. also the view hq button would become derelict (unless you had a main hq wich is a probable thing).
I thought that the fact that you can have only one per town was really obvious. I also think they should cost a significant amount of money, or better yet running cost that rises as the HQ grows, encouraging players to make their vehicles more profitable. You also still keep the main HQ, so the 'view HQ' button shouldn't change.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”