[WIP] Finnish Trainset - Alpha available NOW on BaNaNaS!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Occ flat wagon - Container variant

Containers by Purno, flatcar based on original by jpl

Available 1970?
Attachments
Occ Container car
Occ Container car
OccContainer.png (16.16 KiB) Viewed 4716 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Whoo, those container sprites of mine are old! Whoa, thx for digging them up :P

Nice work :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Purno, they are also getting used in the Swiss Set :wink:
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Right, something else for me to code...
Just remember I have many exams so you might not see any coding progress for a while. ;)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

jamesvassie wrote:Purno, they are also getting used in the Swiss Set :wink:
I forgot about that :P What an honour :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Piirka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Piirka »

DanMacK wrote:We're looking for info on 40's-60's stock and there's little info to be found.
I've got a booklet on freight stock used by VR in 1962.

Closed cars:
- Gb and Gd were allround goods cars (Gb is slightly longer)
- Gdl and Gdp were livestock cars (Gdl was fitted with a heating oven, so there was a chimney on the roof)
- Gdt was a car for dirtying goods like calcium oxide
- Gg was an allround car for goods (either requesting room temp. or refrigerated)
- Ggh was a car for fruit/vegetables requesting room temp.
- Ggl like Gg, but especially designed for transporting meat (fitted with meat hooks)
- Ggv was an allround car for goods requesting room temp.
- Ggy was a car for lysol (requesting room temp.?)
- Gk was a good car with sliding roofs, so it could be (un)loaded by cranes with rolls of paper, the doors were nonsliding
- Gks like Gk, but both the side walls and the roofs were sliding

Open cars:
- H was a flatbed cars with wooden sidebars
- Hd, Hdk, Hk and Hv were stake wagons with wooden or iron sidebars (Hk with metallic only)
- I was a flatbed car for logs etc., with no sidebars
- Kn was an allround hopper
- M and Ma were gravel hoppers
- Mak was a coal hopper
- Mas a macadam hopper
- O was a 4-ax. allround stake wagon with wooden sidebars
- Oa was a 4-ax. allround stake wagon with iron sidebars
- Ok, Okk and Okp were a 4-ax. allround stake wagon with wooden or iron sidebars
- Okm was a 4-ax. ore hopper
- Om was a 4-ax. ore hopper (with tippers)
- Ome was a 4-ax. ore hopper

Tankers:
- Go was either a 2 or 3-ax. oil tanker
- Goa was a 3-ax. bitumen tanker
- Gob was a 3-ax. petrol tanker
- Sd was either a 2 or 3-ax. tanker for transporting silage chemicals (AIV)
- Svs and Svsa were 2-ax. container cars, each car could carry 3 of them

I think that all the Gg (and subseries) cars had a white livery (both walls and roofs). All the closed cars had 2 axles. The cars listed above were owned by VR. There were also private cars, all the petrol companies had their own tankers.

BTW, I draw a corrected version of the dmu Dm7, with two major parts corrected. The cars had only 6 side windows. The roof had wrong colours. Also did I paint the dmu in a livery used about since mid 1970'ies. Most of the cars, but not all, were repainted before the end of usage in 1988.

Piirka
Attachments
Dm7.png
Dm7.png (1020 Bytes) Viewed 4464 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Piirka, welcome aboard. Thanks for the freight info, it'll definitely help.

re: the dm7. It looks like you modified Purno's original sprites, not my revised ones. I didn't get the yellow-faced version done for this coming version, but the other ones are accurate AFAIK.
Piirka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Piirka »

DanMacK wrote:Piirka, welcome aboard. Thanks for the freight info, it'll definitely help.

re: the dm7. It looks like you modified Purno's original sprites, not my revised ones. I didn't get the yellow-faced version done for this coming version, but the other ones are accurate AFAIK.
Tnx. Your are right. I modified the one found in the taster in my scenario. I only afterwards found your drawing earlier in this thread. There is an overwhelming amount of stuff here and since I'm new here I have found only a little of all the interesting things.

I did some research on the Dm6/Dm7 + trailers. You've got the most of details right. However, there were a few details that I changed. The major one was the spaces between windows. You've painted them creamish, while they are white. Dm6 was introduced in 1954. But due to poor running qualities, especially on double crossing switches, Dm7 was introduced the following year. The major difference between the series are the wheels, with larger dimensions on Dm7.

In your drawing you marked the passenger trailer, when in fact it was a combined passenger and goods trailer (I named it passenger/mail). In my drawing there seem to be two different mail and goods trailers. In fact it's the same car, but the two side walls differs from each other. All the other cars have "mirrored" side walls. The armoured car was actually a car used for transporting prisoners in northern Finland. One car was rebuilt from a mail/goods car in 1965 and it was used until the 1970'ies (or maybe later?).

Piirka
Attachments
Dm7_uusi.png
Dm7_uusi.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 4427 times
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, in TTD we have to make some concessions, and a trailer cannot be passenger/mail, that's why there are separate versions for each.

We needed an armoured van for gold/valuables, and the prisoner's wagon fit the bill perfectly. TTD doesn't allow for complete realism, but we're getting as close as possible. I didn't want to do it pure white, and cream looked better IMHO.
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Hi, this is off-topic for the thread but I'm looking for Finnish translators for TTDPatch, since the current translator won't be able to work on it to finish it in time for 2.5.

If you would like to help with the translation please email me.

[edit] I found a translator.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Slowly but surely we're getting there

SR1 in red livery
Attachments
SR1 in red
SR1 in red
RedSr1.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks nice, but wasn't this engine already drawn by me?
Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well it had to match the revised SR1 in white that I posted earlier :) As always, you retain credit for the original sprite this is based off of.
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

Looking better each time :)

Could you look into the SM4 sprites and make the nose a bit more streamlined. It seems too flat to me now.

How are the Ed/Eds coaches doing?
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hmm... I believe that engine was drawn by me, right? Hmm... I could take a look at the sprites if I find them. Do you coincidentally have a link to the sprite file? :tongue:
Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Here you go :)
Attachments
Purno's Sm4 from July, 2004
Purno's Sm4 from July, 2004
finnish_sm4_emu.png (4.85 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Very very quick nose-fix
Attachments
Sm4 Finland _quick_nosefix_
Sm4 Finland _quick_nosefix_
finnish_sm4_emu_983.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 4048 times
Image Image
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

What if you squeezed the bottom windows in me middle of the wagon for a couple of extra pixels worth of room for drawing the nose? Like this:
Attachments
finnish_sm4_emu_983_squeezed.PNG
finnish_sm4_emu_983_squeezed.PNG (6.24 KiB) Viewed 3981 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

That's an option, however I wonder wether that's really necessary.
Image Image
Hairysteed
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Hairysteed »

I think it is. The nose looks like it's been chopped off with a machete.

In fact I've begun studying your drawing tutorials and with your permission I'd like to mess around with your sprites. I've already tried drawing some small, but distinctive detail to some of your Pendolino sprites. Although a lion's share of my time is spent at work I'll try to learn some drawing in the middle.

Return to “Graphics Development”