Patch generation with mercurial

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Patch generation with mercurial

Post by Wahazar »

I applied this patch to the just cloned trunk (r27185), corrected some failed hunks, compiled successfully - now how to properly generate new patch?
I used

Code: Select all

hg export -o isp_patch.diff
but this patch applied to copy of original trunk is patching only existing sources and does not generate new files (infrastructure*.*).

How to generate and apply such patch properly?

EDIT: invalid patch removed
Last edited by planetmaker on 16 Apr 2015 16:03, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Split as requested from http://www.tt-forums.net/mcp.php?f=33&t=42254
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Infrastructure sharing 2.1.1

Post by planetmaker »

McZapkie wrote:I applied this patch to the just cloned trunk (r27185), corrected some failed hunks, compiled successfully - now how to properly generate new patch?
I used

hg export -o isp_patch.diff
but this patch applied to copy of original trunk is patching only existing sources and does not generate new files (infrastructure*.*).

How to generate and apply such patch properly?
You probably forgot to teach mercurial about the newly added files, thus forgot one or more

hg add FILENAME
If hg doesn't know about the new files, then it won't track them, thus patches it generates won't include them. You could have used hg import IS_patch.diff or hg patch IS_patch.diff which would have added the new files automatically (as opposed to patch)

Now, how to get the diff, that depends whether you committed the patch and its modification to your repository or not
Uncommitted changes:

hg diff > mypatch.diff
If you have committed the patch (or used hg import or hg patch), you can use (XXX is the revision which adds the patch)

hg log -p -rXXX > mypatch.diff
you can give several revisions this way. Or use hg diff -rXXX::YYY
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Infrastructure sharing 2.1.1

Post by Wahazar »

Thank for reply, indeed I just forget about add, using commit only.
Additionally, I messed up relative links due to plain copy of repository to another directory.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Patch generation with mercurial

Post by Wahazar »

OK, patch applied via patch command, source and .hgignore corrected, hg files added, and now:
1. hg diff produce 235kB large file (in comparison to original 59kB patch applied);
2. after add and commit, hg export produce similar large file (example of original file and generated, attached).
Seems, that instead of adding some lines, it removes whole parts of the code and add them again.
What I'm doing wrong?
If you have committed the patch (or used hg import or hg patch), you can use (XXX is the revision which adds the patch)
hg log -p -rXXX > mypatch.diff
I have no idea, how to check this revision number.
hg parent return following (not important data dotted):

changeset:   22075:9a020e755fc9
tag:         tip
parent:      22028:99087ab020b6
user:        McZapkie <...>
date:        <...>
summary:     Hirundo patch applied
(the last one is my commit note, in original source there is revision number)

This particular patch is not patching properly (hunks failed), therefore I must touch code a little - and generate new up-to date patch.
I'm not familiar with any control version and little bit puzzled with all these options.
Attachments
isp_patch.diff
generated diff via hg export
(230.56 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

What I would try is:

* apply the patch to the version it was meant to apply to. That should not fail.
* Then do one of the following, possibly in an interative process with the goal to update it:
** rebase the revision to successively newer versions of trunk. Go smaller steps, then less things are to fix and it's easier to see where things need adoption.

hg rebase -sXXX -dYYY
where XXX is the revision of your patch and YYY any later trunk revision. The XXX will change after each rebase, of course.
** merge successively newer versions of trunk onto your patched revision. Same reason as above.

hg merge -rYYY
where YYY is again the trunk revision you want to merge onto your patch

The patch size might be bigger when trunk has uncommitted changes to the translation of the base set; it will then update openttd.grf which is not tiny :) Check whether that's the case with your new diff

when using mercurial, revision number means mercurial revision numbers, not svn. It can be referred to by the numeric ID (left part, 22075) or the hexadecimal hash (right part):

changeset:   22075:9a020e755fc9
I recommend to take a quick tour through the basics of version control: http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Of course I surfed over above mentioned manual (goggling the command often gives link to it), however from the beginner point of view, you brief explanation clarify a much - I was thinking that I can clone the newest repository, apply old patch, simply correct rejected hunks and generate diff against newest trunk.

Another, maybe less topic related question - linux compilation have quite different version than windows one, despite same source and changeset.
How to proceed to achieve same version number?
EDIT: solved, there was hg and svn mismatch.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if it seemingly removes and adds the same lines, probably you mixed up the line endings between DOS and Unix style. try to use the "unix2dos" or "dos2unix" tools
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Eddi was right, I was shovelling files between Linux and Windows, dos2unix tool works perfectly and gets rid of these ^M chars.

Once more question - how to deal with version of modified source?

Assume, that I cloned trunk, and modified some source.
It have still same revision, and it is changed after commit?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

if you have an SVN checkout, you cannot commit, and any modifications show up only as an "M" in the version name. the revision that you generated the patch with is important information, as applying it to a different revision may cause conflicts.

if you have a HG or GIT clone, you can commit locally, and the version will show up as "hXXXX" or "gXXXX", where XXXX is a part of the commit hash. this may help in developing your patch, but the information which revision the patch is based on will get lost to the general public, unless you publish your entire repo. also, that is the only way other people can make compiles that have the same version string. it will still add "M" if you had uncommitted changes in your repo upon compiling.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”