[REL]Boeing Sonic Cruiser - v 1.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

How would you like to see the Sonic Cruiser's stats realised?

Real-Life Statistics, regardless of how it performs in-game.
22%
Enhanced Statistics that at least give it some advantage.
78%

Total votes: 27

HailStorm
Engineer
Engineer

[REL]Boeing Sonic Cruiser - v 1.0

Post by HailStorm »

The Boeing Sonic Cruiser - initial release!

SonicCruiserV1.zip
Boeing Sonic Cruiser - v. 1.0
(144.68 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
Two years late, but it's finally here! this model is based of the last known revision to the Sonic Cruiser design before the project was 'placed on the shelf' by Boeing.

This one has an (unrealistic) top speed of 2,180 km/h - same as the Concorde. unfortunately, it still only gives a 3-4 day advantage on cross-map flights, but it's the maximum that can currently be done, and is better than nothing.

I still want feedback, so if you still would like to see a 'real-to-life' version - keep voting.

also, I did experiment a bit with the shading on this plane, so if you think it looks a little weird (keeping in mind this version is painted white) feel free to give me some feedback on that too.

---------------original poll question below------------------

when making this aircraft, i was expecting it to be a bit of a disappointment to those fans who wanted a 'modern concorde' - i was well aware that the aircraft in real life is barely supersonic, and the sonic cruiser's two main advantages, that of higher cruising altitude and extreme range, could not be represented within the Lomo engine. it's so far unknown how to affect an aircraft's acceleration factor, which was a problem with the Concorde as well - it took the entire map for it to accelerate to top speed, and in doing so, it'd be lucky to overtake any aircraft while flying.

as a consequence of all these reasons, i was expecting a result akin to a "Fast 777" - something that would make a little more money per passenger, but not exactly be running rings around anything else in the sky.

unfortunately, in testing it turned out to be far worse, the result being that a 1,013km/h-capable aircraft traveling diagonally cross-map had absolutely ZERO advantage over a 747 - a 26-day flight for a 747/A380 was still, annoyingly, a 26 day flight for the sonic cruiser.

so, here is my dilemma - i either have to choose between releasing it with realistic stats, and it basically becoming a new, futuristic-looking white elephant in terms of performance, OR, i give it boosted stats (namely, a higher top speed) in order to give it at least some advantage over contemporary rivals.

at the moment i have no idea what to do, because a really did intend for a faster plane (the whole reason i stated this project) but at the same time with the intention of being as realistic as possible - but it seems these goals no longer go hand-in-hand.

so, i ask the question: what would YOU like to see of this aircraft, Something that kicks the pants off the A380 (like it was designed to), or something that is faithful to the original specifications?
Last edited by HailStorm on 28 Jul 2008 12:18, edited 2 times in total.
Twiggy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [WIP]Boeing Sonic Cruiser

Post by Twiggy »

HailStorm,

Just let it kick the pants off the others. It looks like it's made to go fast, I'm sure exaggerating the stats a bit in the game wont hurt. And having an aircraft to "replace" the Concorde probably isn't a bad thing... It's not looking too bad anyhow. Keep up the good work.

Wadeo
[WIP] QLD Sugar Cane Set
[WIP] Another Aussie project...
CanAm - This ride is unsuitable for pregnant women, children under the age of 16 and whimps.
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

looks good mate,

give it a decent speed, have it come out in like 2010 or somthing and let er' fly ..

make sure you code the landing tilt into her.. i think that would look good with the ass in fiRst landing.

EDIT: i had to correct that typo.. as much as "ass in fist" made me laugh, this is a family forum"
Last edited by Plastikman on 20 Jul 2008 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
andel
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by andel »

I think its fantastic - would be a welcome addition to any game :)
Andel
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
DISCLAIMER: The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of Andel, who will do and say almost anything to get the attention he craves.
[/size]
dat581
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dat581 »

The aircraft was going to be certified to 1.2 Mach just incase it had to enter a dive from cruising speed without slowing down in an emergency so thats aproximatly 1280 km\h. That should give an advantage over that airbus whale
EXTspotter
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by EXTspotter »

Also, because it flies much higher, it burns much less fuel, making it cheaper to operate.
CZAR ALEKSANDER
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CZAR ALEKSANDER »

this was done for ttdx some time ago and I was who asked for the plane
This was done back in april 0f 2002

thank

czar aleksander
Owen-Alexander
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Owen-Alexander »

I would honestly use this in my game and will be waiting for the release
HailStorm
Engineer
Engineer

Post by HailStorm »

CZAR ALEKSANDER wrote:this was done for ttdx some time ago and I was who asked for the plane
This was done back in april 0f 2002

thank

czar aleksander

yeah, I read that thread back when I first found these forums - in fact, not only did I use the same set of blueprints, I'm still half expecting cpthooker to appear at any moment with more news of his project! I know this one is a little late, but hopefully this release does justice to the aircraft and to the people who wanted it.

czar aleksander mate, this one's for you!

cheers.
Attachments
SC Model Render
SC Model Render
Sonic Cruiser 7b_01.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 5595 times

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”