Dutch Trainset v2.0

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Which DMU do you find better looking

Poll ended at 06 Feb 2013 11:59

DE-III (plan U): http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_U
38%
DE-IV (Ram): http://www.stichtingtee.nl/nl/trein/geschiedenis
63%

Total votes: 24

Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Dutch Trainset v2.0 being developed

Post by Voyager One »

Intentional doublepost...

I'm kind of working on two tracks now... What do you think of this idea for a futuristic cargo EMU. Keep in mind that almost no details are yet applied.
Attachments
Cargo_EMU.PNG
Cargo_EMU.PNG (9.21 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Nice, does it load/unload quickly?
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

You can copy/paste them :D

Cargo-DD-EMU looks very nice ;)
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Hyronymus wrote:Nice, does it load/unload quickly?
Well, it depends on Foo's coding but here are my thoughts...

1. Paletted or containerized goods only - intermodal freight will certainly be the thing of the future.
2. A forklift brings containers inside.
3. "Sliding" of containers is carried with a wagon-built-in tranfer belt, kind of a roller chain belt or something similar (like bearings) - those yellow lines inside a wagon should be some kind of "edge" of the transfer belt.
4. Unloading is the same.
CargoEMUloading.PNG
CargoEMUloading.PNG (14.23 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

So, IMO:
- 6 standardized containers (smaller ones) per wagon
- pretty fast loading/unloading
- adapt for any containerized goods, even self-refrigerated containers for perishable goods or even ores if "packaged" in standardized container-like casings

BTW, I will add a third set of sprites for the wagon - a set with a few containers inside - we can have multiple loading stages.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Not bad. I myself was thinking about bulk materials pumped into the wagons. In my opinion the shape of the wagons can stay the same for aerodynamics sake, perhaps the capacity a bit larger per wagon as the wagon is the container.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I've tried my idea with in-scale containers and large crates - doesn't really work.

I've managed to fit inside only 2 containers or 6 large crates. See pic and tell me if this is still OK. Well, this is more a problem for coding... :?
Attachments
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG (13.93 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Scratch that previous post... here's the whole deal. One livery so far, I'll start adding more if you all approve.

BTW, containers are in 1st and 2nd CC so I hope that Foo can code them like that too.
Attachments
Future Cargo-EMU.PNG
Future Cargo-EMU.PNG (23.74 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Leon

Image Image Image Image
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

Nice, but why is there a Horizontal view with open doors? Stations can never be diagonal.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

jor[D]1 wrote:Nice, but why is there a Horizontal view with open doors? Stations can never be diagonal.
Never say never! Proper diagonal stations might happen someday. :)
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Would 2 standard containers on top of each other fit underneath the Dutch catenary?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Purno wrote:Would 2 standard containers on top of each other fit underneath the Dutch catenary?
I'm afraid that only fits in the United States, where everything is said to be larger.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Supercheese wrote:
jor[D]1 wrote:Nice, but why is there a Horizontal view with open doors? Stations can never be diagonal.
Never say never! Proper diagonal stations might happen someday. :)
Not only that. I figured that since I was drawing it, I could make the open multi-stage sprite to ease the recognition of each set of sprites. In any case, it was a 5-minute job. :)
Purno wrote:Would 2 standard containers on top of each other fit underneath the Dutch catenary?
These are not supposed to be standard containers. These are supposed to be airplane containers which are AFAIK slightly smaller. Also, who says what the future will bring. These sizes are ideal for multi-modal transport - ALL kinds of transport are supported - ships, planes, trucks and trains.

In any case, I think we can tweak "reality" a little bit, for gamesake's purposes, can't we? :wink:
---

So, this is the NS Cargo livery. Also planned:
- full red (DB Schenker)
- orange+blue (HUSA, imaginary)
- white+light blue (ERS, imaginary)
- black with yellow stripe (imaginary)

I don't think there are more "important" cargo companies that should be represented.
---
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Hyronymus wrote:
I'm afraid that only fits in the United States, where everything is said to be larger.
And the Australian outback, where there are no tunnels or bridges to worry about.

@Voy: Very interesting cargo EMU concept! I may have to steal it :P
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Emperor Jake wrote:Very interesting cargo EMU concept! I may have to steal it
By all means. You can take any of my sprites any time. :D
Leon

Image Image Image Image
jor[D]1
Director
Director

Post by jor[D]1 »

The betuwe route is prepared to house Double stacked containers. This means all tunnels are built slightly larger. Still the centenary needed replacement I think.
Also, the railways leading to the betuwe route are not big enough.

(I think it is the only railway in europe with could house Double stack trains.)

Also, transporting aircraft containers is possible in near future. There already have been test with the planned network. A TGV la poste drove Lyon-London.
View my (train)pictures on Flickr
Yoshi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Yoshi »

jor[D]1 wrote:Also, transporting aircraft containers is possible in near future. There already have been test with the planned network. A TGV la poste drove Lyon-London.
--> http://www.eurocarex.com/
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Don't forget this is a futuristic design. It needs not to be completely accurate. Perhaps they invent a new size of container in the future, so that you can stack two on top of each other. Perhaps we already did that now.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Hehehe... I'm really really curious to hear how much time you'll need to code this... :mrgreen:
Attachments
Future Cargo-EMU.PNG
(85.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Voyager One wrote:Hehehe... I'm really really curious to hear how much time you'll need to code this... :mrgreen:
I say less then 30 minutes, since it is all templated and the code can almost be completely copy-pasted from other vehicles.

Just one question, how long is this train going to be? So how many wagons are there going to be between two engines? Or is that going to be up to the player? Since then I would suggest separating the graphics for engines and wagons and provide them as separate vehicles in the purchase menu.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Well, that's something that I can't really answer. I think it would be OK making it up to the player completely.

I.e. You buy it the first time and you get two engines (they carry no cargo), then each time you "buy" more of this train, you just add wagons. This way, engines and wagons would cost the same and they *should* be expensive IMO (see below why).

Remember, this is not a passenger EMU, it's supposed to be a costly cargo EMU that can carry a lot and go much faster than normal trains (because of the wagon speed limit which should be very high for this one IMO). Yeah, it won't matter for someone who disables wagon speed limits but otherwise...

Again IMO, the thing should carry about 100-120 goods per wagon, have a max speed of 200-230km/h, a lot of TE and certainly over 10.000HP power (two engines!), should be expensive to purchase but not very expensive to run (modular train with interchangeable parts/wagons, and it's a "cheap" EMU).

EDIT: Separating engine and wagon graphics - IMO no because these these wagons shouldn't be allowed to be used with anything else - wouldn't be realistic at all. These wagons are "made for these engines", nothing else. Try coupling an ICE wagon to anything else than an ICE...
OTOH, you can make a full trainset and couple it with another train.
Leon

Image Image Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”