Swedish Projects

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Bob_Mackenzie
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Swedish Projects

Post by Bob_Mackenzie »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:
I like the dirt roads - how will you deal with transition from cobbles in a town to dirt outside?

I was thinking to just have it work like orignal TTD work. The pavement roads is the cobblestone roads and the none pavement roads will be the dirt roads. Then after a sertain date they will change into modern roads which is modified modern TTRS roads.
I didn't explain myself properly, I was thinking transition in space not transition in time

So have you given though about a gentle transition from dirt road to cobbles on the enge of towns? Or is an abrupt line between tiles the best TTD can manage?

Cheers

Bob
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Bob_Mackenzie wrote:I didn't explain myself properly, I was thinking transition in space not transition in time

So have you given though about a gentle transition from dirt road to cobbles on the enge of towns? Or is an abrupt line between tiles the best TTD can manage?

Cheers

Bob
That isn't possible in TTD (yet?). It will look like in the picture where yellow arrow indicates where cobblestone will be and blue arrow indicated where dirt road will be.

I also started on an old style road tunnel.
Attachments
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2020.png
Unnamed, 1st Jan 2020.png (34.27 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
road tunnel.PNG
road tunnel.PNG (2.49 KiB) Viewed 1682 times
Swedish Houses Version 1.1 Released
Swedish Road Vehicles Work in Progress
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Look up a proper Swedish tunnel. While that looks good, it does not look typically Swedish to me
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Chrill wrote:Look up a proper Swedish tunnel. While that looks good, it does not look typically Swedish to me
Yeah I tried but I didn't find many. Modern ones are plenty but old ones doesn't seem to be that easy to find. AndersI usually have pictures of everything old :P
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

I did found some old Swedish rail tunnels and maybe I should redraw the rail tunnels to something like this?
More cubicle and with stone instead of gravel.
Attachments
new tunnel.PNG
new tunnel.PNG (2.75 KiB) Viewed 1582 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

They'd definitely look more ancient
Kogut
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kogut »

Is it possible to have time dependend tunnels? Like rail depots?
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English is bad
AIAI - AI for OpenTTD
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

planetmaker wrote:They'd definitely look more ancient
That was the idea, I'm still not pleased with it though.
Kogut wrote:Is it possible to have time dependend tunnels? Like rail depots?
It's a good question and I don't know :P If it's possible it would be nice to have different tunnels too.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Irwe wrote:
planetmaker wrote:They'd definitely look more ancient
That was the idea, I'm still not pleased with it though.
Kogut wrote:Is it possible to have time dependend tunnels? Like rail depots?
It's a good question and I don't know :P If it's possible it would be nice to have different tunnels too.
The only time-dependent thing possible are depots in recent nightlies.

It is possible to switch the graphics for a feature on a certain date; but that's a solution I'm not overly fond of; but I could allow the user to chose from a old and modern via newgrf parameter.

EDIT: something different: what's the opinion about these fences? Note the variety :-) This could in principle also be used to smoothen the introduction of new level crossings and / or tunnel portal sprites over some period of time in four discrete steps (updating to modern 25% of the existing ones each step)
Attachments
randomly fences with and without CC mixed
randomly fences with and without CC mixed
Velký Bažonín Transport, 12-06-1964.png (248.97 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

planetmaker wrote:It is possible to switch the graphics for a feature on a certain date; but that's a solution I'm not overly fond of; but I could allow the user to chose from a old and modern via newgrf parameter.
Parameter is a solution to everything :P I'm not sure I'll even have 2 different tunnels yet, we'll see.
planetmaker wrote:EDIT: something different: what's the opinion about these fences? Note the variety This could in principle also be used to smoothen the introduction of new level crossings and / or tunnel portal sprites over some period of time in four discrete steps (updating to modern 25% of the existing ones each step)
Could be nice, like we've talked about. Some could have bushes growing on them and be more dirty, some could even be broken by animals trying to get through.
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

With regard to the swedish dirt roads;

Someone needs to draw a WRC .grf.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Let me just briefly show you a small screenshot from my current development version of Swedish Rails:
Attachments
bridges in arctic
bridges in arctic
Polžice Transport, 23-12-1991.png (234.01 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

A question/suggestion for the rail/road crossings: Is it possible to cover the sleepers in the actual crossing? Most Swedish crossings have rather dark rubber (?) covering the area between the rails (and the bars should be yellow/red, of course):
Attachments
tt8.png
tt8.png (346.41 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

AndersI wrote:A question/suggestion for the rail/road crossings: Is it possible to cover the sleepers in the actual crossing? Most Swedish crossings have rather dark rubber (?) covering the area between the rails (and the bars should be yellow/red, of course):
Sleepers and roads:
Well, it's difficult to get a different shading for the road where the sleepers are supposed to be. As you see in the screenshot, there are no sleepers where the road is, only the tracks (and the sleepers are somewhat below the road presumably; I assume you'll have that style in Sweden, too ;-) ) But indeed in the screenshot in my previous posting there were some edges of the sleepers still showing, I removed them, see below.

Level crossings:
Swedish Rails has two level crossings, a modern version and an old version; both are present in a transitional time span (default from 1970 ... 1985; I chose so far this late transition period as many games are then somewhat centred around it and players are more likely to enjoy both types ;-) ). The older ones are more yellowish like you propose and probably resemble the level crossing in your photo much better. See also the screenshot below, it contains old and modern style level crossings.

EDIT: and actually the image shows that the modern level crossings have some kind of glitch, still... black bars.
EDIT2: also fixed :-)
Attachments
both styles of level crossings
both styles of level crossings
Polžice Transport, 09-04-1993.png (291.32 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
SwissFan91
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SwissFan91 »

Is it possible to pile up any snow next to the tracks ? Or at least create this in an illusion?
Total Alpine Replacement Set: Industry, Town, Objects
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

planetmaker wrote:Swedish Rails has two level crossings, a modern version and an old version
An old crossing would probably be without bars, just the lights. And Swedish crossings would never have red/white bars. They're all bright yellow/red, as in the photo.

Edit: Forgot to say Thank You! for your work with Swedish Rails! I really appreciate it, even when I'm complaining :-)
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

jake.grimshaw wrote:Is it possible to pile up any snow next to the tracks ? Or at least create this in an illusion?
In principle yes. But probably not with a high consistency.
AndersI wrote: An old crossing would probably be without bars, just the lights. And Swedish crossings would never have red/white bars. They're all bright yellow/red, as in the photo.
Alright :-) I shall see how it will look like with yellow instead of white.

EDIT: like this?
Attachments
Polžice Transport, 16-03-1993.png
Polžice Transport, 16-03-1993.png (344.77 KiB) Viewed 1248 times
Irwe
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Irwe »

Nice work with the bridges planetmaker!
planetmaker wrote:Alright I shall see how it will look like with yellow instead of white.

EDIT: like this?
AndersI has probably right about them all beeing yellow and red (didn't really research much on the modern crossings :P ).

As I explained to planetmaker I'm in the middle of moving back to Gothenburg from Stockholm so I might be a little bit absent at the moment but will be back on track as soon as I can.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Irwe wrote:Nice work with the bridges planetmaker!

AndersI has probably right about them all beeing yellow and red (didn't really research much on the modern crossings :P ).
Thanks :-) And then I guess I'll replace all white in the level crossings with yellow. An easy graphics task also I can do :-)

All the best with you moving :-)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

planetmaker wrote:Alright :-) I shall see how it will look like with yellow instead of white. EDIT: like this?
Or maybe even like this:
Attachments
tt9.png
tt9.png (4.15 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

Return to “Graphics Development”