Street canadian set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Street canadian set

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

I became to make a set: Street Canadian, it holds two type street: a city street and country street of Canada. The city streets are pavement.
Attachments
Rue Canadiennes.jpg
Rue Canadiennes.jpg (15.86 KiB) Viewed 4970 times
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

You appear to have invented the grey rectangle. At least they're the right size, I suppose.

Are you planning to improve them any further? Even different shading for the slopes would be a start.
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

I made a mini-test for verify if that correct and that correct.
Attachments
minitest.jpg
minitest.jpg (10.84 KiB) Viewed 4947 times
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

Out of curiosity, what makes them Canadian?
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

They could really use some shading and texturing, they really hurt my eyes atm :(. I hope you realised it yourself ;).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Well, you seem to use the correct sizes and such, but you really have to shade it and texture it a lot. Besides, never save sprites as .jpg, use .png instead.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

train-a-mania wrote:Out of curiosity, what makes them Canadian?
New asphalt roads in Canada are as black as new asphalt roads anywhere in the world. However, in Canada our winter weather patterns make our roads subject to cycles of snow coverage and snow melting, sometimes on a daily basis. The result is a dangerous coating of ice. The most efficient way to control the ice is the application of salt to melt it during periods of below freezing temperatures. The salt bleaches the asphalt and salt residues remain on the pavement. The result is that after about a year the pavement takes on a very grey colour. This also renders white lines virtually invisible, so the lines are painted with a yellow colour. The paint is very durable but with winter's abuse, it is usually worn away and by spring must be reapplied.

The combination of a solid line parrallel to a broken line on hills is also extensively used in Canada, the rational being that it is safer to pass going downhill than when going uphill. This is also done with curves in the road.

CPCNMAN007's renderings are actually quite realistic although the grey colouring could be a shade or two darker and the shading of the grey should be very random reflecting the uneveness of winter's wear and tear.

CPCNMAN007: I suggest you obtain a photo of L'Autoroute des Laurentides - route 15 and work from that to choose your colours. :wink:
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Here the streets canadian, they're grey light as my graphic
Attachments
highways.jpg
highways.jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 4832 times
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

Sorry to say, but they are so light because of the overload of sun.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Darkmast49 wrote:Sorry to say, but they are so light because of the overload of sun.
Not so in Canada. Even on a cloudy day the pavement is that colour.
Samwise
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Samwise »

wallyweb wrote:
Darkmast49 wrote:Sorry to say, but they are so light because of the overload of sun.
Really? :shock: Well, I didn't say anyting then! :P
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If I compare your first attempts with the photo you posted later I have to say your grey is too bright compared to the photo, CPCNMAN007. But next to that they could really need shading. Right now you used 1 colour which would mean the sun is omnipresent in TTD. It isn't though - it hangs in an imaginary position on the right of your game screen. That means that roads "in the shade" really need a darker colour if realism is what you're after. Do you happen to have a preview of the city road too btw?!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Darkmast49 wrote:
wallyweb wrote:
Really? :shock: Well, I didn't say anyting then! :P
Actually your point was well taken. The glare from the sun is definitely a factor as it reflects off the roads onto the windshields of the vehicles occasionally blinding drivers as to the conditions ahead of them, such as unwary pedestrians or a stopped vehicle. This can be further compounded during the winter when the salt laden water is sprayed onto their windshields which become coated with salt cake as the water evaporates in the wind. Windshield washers and a good supply of "low freezing point" windshield washer fluid are a must in Canada during winter.
Hyronymus wrote:If I compare your first attempts with the photo you posted later I have to say your grey is too bright compared to the photo, CPCNMAN007. But next to that they could really need shading. Right now you used 1 colour which would mean the sun is omnipresent in TTD. It isn't though - it hangs in an imaginary position on the right of your game screen. That means that roads "in the shade" really need a darker colour if realism is what you're after. Do you happen to have a preview of the city road too btw?!
That photo is actually a good point to start from. If you look at the shadows of the cars, the sun is coming from the right, just like in TTD. Follow Hyronymus' excellent suggestions.
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

here an update of street canadian. I changed the grey.
Attachments
Rue Canadiennes.jpg
Rue Canadiennes.jpg (15.68 KiB) Viewed 4675 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Some suggestions: :)

The numbers refer those in the image.

1. The broken lines should be on the other side, for the drivers going down the hill.

2. If you put these two roads together, the change in colour is too abrupt.

Also, because you did the images in jpg format, the blue is pixilated and will only have very patchy transparency. Try using png format and make sure that the blue is all the same as the transparent blue in the ttd palette.

Otherwise, it is very much improved. :wink:
Attachments
rue_canadiennes.jpg
rue_canadiennes.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 4665 times
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Here my update
Attachments
Rue Canadiennes.png
Rue Canadiennes.png (177.11 KiB) Viewed 4652 times
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

wallyweb wrote:1. The broken lines should be on the other side, for the drivers going down the hill.
I agree, the slopes are quite inconsistent. The cars drive on the right on one slope and they drive on the left on the other slope.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

err, what happens when a colour in a sprite isnt part of the ttd pallette?
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

M4rek wrote:err, what happens when a colour in a sprite isnt part of the ttd pallette?
dunno, but it'll be crapped up. (can't say the f-word I guess).
Don't ever use a non-pallete color.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

which im guessing also means dont use jpg as that randomly randomizes colours (at a pixel level) and im pretty sure it doesnt stick to the ttd pallette
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.

Return to “Graphics Development”