British Roadset [WIP - Approx 86.7956538% Complete]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Dave

British Roadset [WIP - Approx 86.7956538% Complete]

Post by Dave »

Hi everybody. I just wondered if drawing road surfaces/markings etc. should be done in the same way as locomotives and the like.

Very much inline with my satisfaction with Pikka's UKRS (absolutely fantastic methinks), I'm thinking along the lines of making the game have an even more British feel - well for me if no one else cares. I fancy having a bash at making the original lines more British (they do actually look quite British already to be fair) by adding give way lines, stop lines etc.

This may also be an opportunity to look at the footpaths/sidewalks - near enough all but the country roads in Britain are footpathed.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to make it work yet, or even if I'll be able to do it. Just enquiring beforehand about the possibility.

What do you guys think? Hope I've got the right place for this.

If not, I apologise.
Dave
Last edited by Dave on 17 Oct 2006 23:41, edited 7 times in total.
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Get GRFCodec, and use that to decode TRG1R.GRF.

Edit the appropriate sprites, then re-encode.

Use GRFDiff (in GRFCodec package) to create a .grd file of the differences

Use GRDtoGRF to convert this into a newgrf file.

For subsequent tweakings, simply decode and edit this new file.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Nice one.

How quick was that response? Love it.

Cheers Prof. Frink

Dave
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Hmm, maybe I should make a greasemonkey script for standard responses...

Shame I have no idea how :?
Dave

Post by Dave »

I figured that it was probably a previously asked question - but I have an issue with reading through lots of writing. (Not just being difficult, I actually have some weird eye condition)

Apologies anyway
Dave
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sorry for being a pain in the proverbial rear-end, but I have stumbled upon a problem. I've edited the sprites I wanted to take a look at - a couple of them anyway - and have re-encoded the file and all.

All is well, says everything. Until I start the game and I have a weird colour problem. Everything is kinda red - especially the bottom half of the tile. and generally the colours are off. It all seems a bit straaaaaange. :cry:

The program I used to convert the .pcx to .png and back to the .pcx file is called Advanced Batch Converter - if that helps.

Ack, I knew I shouldn't start messing with this art lark. I'm cursed!

Forgive me if this annoys you, but any help would be somewhat appreciated.

Thankee all.

Dave

P.S. If you need to see what I had edited - it is literally a case of 24 pixels per sprite. I've done four. So that's 96. If you do though, just say and I'll c+p them into a .png or .jpg. Sorry to anyone who wants to solve real problems... mine seem rather weak... :?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

At some point your palette got destroyed, I suspect. Decode trg1r again, and this time save trg1r.pcx's palette. Then do your editing, and re-apply the palette to the PCX before saving and encoding. Make ABSOLUTELY sure that no "optimize palette" or "reduce palette" or any other such option is selected.

I use [url=http://www.gimp.org"]The GIMP[/url] for my PCX-editing needs, but many other programs work too.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Personally, I can't go past Irfranview. Excellent graphics converter, which then allows you to work with the png in any program of your choice (I use paint, with the TTD palette).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Dave

Post by Dave »

Right...

Thanks guys.

I'll have a look at The GIMP and Irfanview.

Cheers
Dave
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The other option, which is what I did before I figured out how to get The GIMP to save a palette[0], is to copy/paste your edits into the good PCX file, instead of converting back to PCX. You still have the same issue with not changing the palette when you save, though.

[0] It's well hidden:
1) Open a good PCX (that is, one that GRFCodec just created)
2a) Dialogs -> Palettes... --OR--
2b) <CTRL-P>
3) Right-click -> Import Palette
4) Under "Select Source", choose the image you just opened.
5) Click Import.
Then you'll probably want to edit the palette, to give it a new name.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Dave

Post by Dave »

That worked out for me. Thanks DaleStan.

Right back to the original part of the topic.

Britain has a lot of rural roads that are lined by hedges or fences.

I've started trying to put hedges on the outside of the roads (just the most basic \ and / config at the moment) but because hedges are green...
There's not much difference between the hedge and the grass behind it. I think putting a black pixel would make it look a bit weird, so does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: I had no idea what I was doing... And its probably very rubbish, but here we are...

It's one of a project that's very much WIP at the moment - don't read much into it.
Attachments
My first ever attempt at drawing - I think I'll stick with the watching everyone else do it...
My first ever attempt at drawing - I think I'll stick with the watching everyone else do it...
road.jpg (2.32 KiB) Viewed 11338 times
SkeedR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SkeedR »

No no no no! Keep trying, thats rather impressive if you ask me, seeing as how i can't draw for my life. Thats neither here nor there however, so, as I said, thats rather impressive, i like the green verge too. :D
Last known as: Weirdy
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

It's a great start! A few small things though:
- It's a lot better if you save the pictures in .PNG format when you post them, JPEG messes some of it up.
- Try using a graphics app that has a 'Pixel Randomizer' where you select multiple colours and t uses them randomly.

An example is below:

*cue crude 5 minute drawing*
Attachments
hedge-road.PNG
hedge-road.PNG (2.06 KiB) Viewed 11298 times
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

you know, personally i use i.Mage which is a great tool.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Dave

Post by Dave »

Right I'll give that idea a go if this thing becomes serious, for sure.

Here are some more sprites. It took me ages meddling with the small parts on the junctions!

And it looks pretty rubbish... but opinions and criticisms would be nice.

I've added two different shades depending on which way the hedge is facing.

Anyway... Please leave me some opinions. It'll be hard work but it'll be nice to give this a go.

Dave
Attachments
In action...
In action...
roads.png (23.61 KiB) Viewed 11160 times
Have a look... I'm actually feeling a bit more confident them now -probably with very little reason.
Have a look... I'm actually feeling a bit more confident them now -probably with very little reason.
Road Sprites.png (3.19 KiB) Viewed 11160 times
jonty-comp
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonty-comp »

Great start!
It just looks a little boxy to me, although I'm not sure you can do anything about that.

I can't wait to see how this set turns out! :D
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

jonty-comp wrote:Great start!
It just looks a little boxy to me, although I'm not sure you can do anything about that.
Using a texture.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Certainly looks great for a first go.

My only words of advice? Have a look at the TTD hedges, under a zoomed in view, to see what they have done, and then try to replicate the technique on your own hedges.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Dave

Post by Dave »

Thanks for all comments. Much appreciated.

May not be able to work on this stuff for a couple of days - got a big Communication Studies presentation coming up... I'm actually gonna work hard on it now.

I'll see what I can come up with though.

Thanks again
Dave
Dave

Post by Dave »

Right... Done 2 of the 4 sprites where the road ends halfway (with no sidewalks).

Other two will be done soon. I've finished my Comms. Just my Psychology coursework then we're good to go for a bit of hard work.

I haven't textured the hedges yet... I sort of like them the way they are, though in the end I probably will.

Slow progress - 'tis only my first go after all.

Speak to ye all again.
Thanks
Dave
Attachments
Yes... Extremely poor. If you find these are too poor please don't hold back and be nice..
Yes... Extremely poor. If you find these are too poor please don't hold back and be nice..
halfroad.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 10675 times

Return to “Graphics Development”