[OTTD] 2cc TrainSet - The Trains of the world in 2cc

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What kind of flag should futuristic trains have

UN Flag
46%
Olympic flag
7%
Have a suggested country
15%
No Flag
31%
Other, i've made a post about this
1%

Total votes: 249

DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [OTTD]2cc TrainSetThe Trains of the world in2cc.Now:2.0B

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Purno wrote: [*]... I hope everyone working on the 2ccSet can bind their forces and efforts into one über NewGRF of pure epicness.
Voyager1 have drawn quite A LOT of new sprites/engines. Most of them are coded in, and most of them tries to fill "holes" in the already coded stuff, so the pure epicness of the set is riseing on a weekly basis :D
Member of the
ImageImage
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

And speaking of that, Alstom AGV is added to your "waiting-to-code-list"... :D

OK, now seriosly people, I need help with research. METROS! The set could use more of them, definitely. I have no problem with drawing them but I could use some help with finding the interesting ones (along with data for them). So... any ideas?
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Awsome mate :D Along with the Eurostar its been of my personal "top wishes" for god-knows-how-long. Tbh, im a sucker for the frensh HST network...
Member of the
ImageImage
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Voyager1 wrote:And speaking of that, Alstom AGV is added to your "waiting-to-code-list"... :D

OK, now seriosly people, I need help with research. METROS! The set could use more of them, definitely. I have no problem with drawing them but I could use some help with finding the interesting ones (along with data for them). So... any ideas?
How about some of new yorks metros? And what about Toronto? Dont forget San Fransisco :p
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

give him some wiki/google/web-links and the job would be A LOT easier :D

in other words: post him your favorite, and its probably in before you know it :D
Member of the
ImageImage
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Exactly as DJ Nekkid said. And don't forget to look in the past too. We don't need a million modern metros. Old and very old ones are very interesting too.

My main problem is that I don't have enough time to research them all and besides that, who knows their hometown or country metros better than the great people from on these forums. :D

Unfortunately, in Croatia there are no metros. Yet. :(
Leon

Image Image Image Image
supermop
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by supermop »

I would be happy to help (or maybe draw a few) with NYCTA vehicles. I am also familiar with much of Tokyo's commuter network.

First pass at suggestions, as far as New York goes, I would only include those which are notable compared to their contemporaries, and also try to have a mix of sizes. Today, we have essentially 3 types of loading gauge in the city, giving different loading speeds and capacities; IRT cars, which are short and narrow, with 3 doors to a side, B-division cars, which are long and wide, with 4 doors to a side, and BMT eastern division cars, which are wide, but shorter to negotiate tighter turns, still having 4 doors a side.

I would suggest an R32, an old R36 redbird, a new example like an R142 or R160, and maybe an R46. I also think the oft-over look PATH trains should see at least one representative.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Currently 18 ingame. Where:
  • 1 is >2000
  • 3 is 90s
  • 4 is 80s
  • 3 is 70s
  • 1 is 60s
  • 1 is 50s
  • 1 is 30s
  • 1 is 20s
  • 3 is <1920
So where is the holes?
I would say the holes are in the ABSOLUTE modern metro stock, or even some futuristic ones (note: do not go above 120kmh and 150pax capacity, every 10 lower kmh, 5pax might be added for some futuristic fictional ones)
Everywhere pre-1970, and especially the 40s...

And if you want my "local" ones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_T1000 (1964) (red is 1cc and blue is 2cc?)

or if you want the list:
Current Metros, sorted by year:

Code: Select all

1880	Brooklyn union gate car
1894	Budapest 1894
1903	London 1903 stock
1929	U-Bahn C II
1938	London 1938 stock
1957	M2 840
1960	ev3-200
1973	Type M1
1975	Pyongynag D Stock
1977	M100
1981	81-729
1985	Tokyo
1987	Cairo 1987
1987	DLR Metro
1993	Boston 01800
1997	CAF 90
1997	MP89
2007	MX3000
Member of the
ImageImage
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

DJ Nekkid wrote:So where is the holes?
I would say we have a BIG hole. 18 metros for the set of 100+ engines... Hmm, I'd like at least 30-40 metros included. :D

T1000 coming up soon, just to start.

@Supermop - Please, could you post some web links to sites with pictures and data for those cars so I don't have to waste time looking for them.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DJ Nekkid wrote:And if you want my "local" ones:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_T1000 (1964) (red is 1cc and blue is 2cc?)
As you wish...
Attachments
Oslo Metro T1000 in 2cc
Oslo Metro T1000 in 2cc
OS T1000 (Norway).png (13.89 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

Are you back in the drawing mood purno'? :)

If so, ive become a picky b*stard since the lats time...

PLEASE use the proper template for whatever kind of unit you are drawing (and if possible, saved in 8bit pcx format, with proper palette :)) [/picky mode]

Either way, an interesting thing is, two gfx guys who have drawn the same train/metro/<thing-that-run-on-rails>. Both have the same drawing style, as the student have learned from the teacher. Currently im too drunk to see any difference or anything, its even an acomplicement (??) that i can put up this post. Anyway ... here is Voyager1 and Purnos T1000 in one .png, just to compare...
os1k.png
os1k.png (22.48 KiB) Viewed 1899 times
Either way, neither artist is up to my "please put the sprites at this spot" standard.
Voy1 use the "proper" templte, but just not at the correct spot, purn' is way off </b**** mode>

Point was, they are two artists, they both have good quality sprites, but they are different, whats the best one, and why? Im currently too drunk too see any REAL difference, but who knows tomorro at 5pm :P

Anyawy, glhf!
Member of the
ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

DJ Nekkid wrote:Are you back in the drawing mood purno'? :)
Nah, I'm just bored of World of Warcraft ATM, and in my boredom mood I figured I could try to draw something again. Can't promise more artwork, but who knows :P If I were you, I'd keep a list of things to draw ready in case I actually am in a drawing mood :P
If so, ive become a picky b*stard since the lats time...

PLEASE use the proper template for whatever kind of unit you are drawing (and if possible, saved in 8bit pcx format, with proper palette :)) [/picky mode]
Oh gah, a picky coder :P
I'll use the proper template next time. Not sure I can save to 8bit PCX in the proper palette. Of course, Windows doesn't recognize PCX. I just installed IrfanView to open your template, but no clue if IrfanView can covert with specific palettes :P
Either way, an interesting thing is, two gfx guys who have drawn the same train/metro/<thing-that-run-on-rails>. Both have the same drawing style, as the student have learned from the teacher. Currently im too drunk to see any difference or anything, its even an acomplicement (??) that i can put up this post. Anyway ... here is Voyager1 and Purnos T1000 in one .png, just to compare...
Oh... epic... I've drawn something and overlooked it had already been drawn? Must've been the worst way for a come-back.
Sorry Voy1. Totally overlooked your sprites :(
Either way, neither artist is up to my "please put the sprites at this spot" standard.
Voy1 use the "proper" templte, but just not at the correct spot, purn' is way off </b**** mode>
Putting the sprites in the correct place wouldn't be a problem, but I'm worried about the 8bit PCX palette thing :P
Oh, and I totally forgot about the depot sprite. But I'll wait with a fix until it's been decided which artwork going to be used :P
Point was, they are two artists, they both have good quality sprites, but they are different, whats the best one, and why? Im currently too drunk too see any REAL difference, but who knows tomorro at 5pm :P
Well, you're the one who requested this thing, you're the one who knows how it looks IRL.
I suggest you sleep a night, and when the drunkness has gone, take a look at the artwork again and see which one looks best :P
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

Purno wrote:I just installed IrfanView to open your template, but no clue if IrfanView can covert with specific palettes
IrfanView will, at least the version I downloaded freshly this week, convert a PCX correctly to a PNG while retaining the proper palette.
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Purno wrote:Oh... epic... I've drawn something and overlooked it had already been drawn? Must've been the worst way for a come-back.
Sorry Voy1. Totally overlooked your sprites
Nah, even better. There are some things that I've missed and you've put right. I still have a lot to learn and your sprites are the best example so far. :P

As for the PNG -> PCX conversion, I'm using the simplest thing - Microsoft Office Photo Editor. It allows both file formats and, AFAIK, it doesn't mess with colors.

EDIT: I forgot one thing. Purno is right, this coder is getting very picky and bitching... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Voyager One on 24 Oct 2010 07:09, edited 1 time in total.
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Rubidium wrote:
Purno wrote:I just installed IrfanView to open your template, but no clue if IrfanView can covert with specific palettes
IrfanView will, at least the version I downloaded freshly this week, convert a PCX correctly to a PNG while retaining the proper palette.
So, if I'd convert DJ Nekkid's template to a PNG, draw my artwork in that PNG with MS Paint (yes, I still use Paint as I haven't found a more easy-to-use program which does the job), and afterwards convert it to PCX again, I'd have a PCX file with the correct palette? (8 bit too?)

Assuming DJ Nekkid's template has the correct palette, and hoping MS Paint doesn't mess things up. (If so, I need another free and easy-to-use pixel program).
Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

I also use MS Paint because it's so simple and save the file as PNG. After that, I load the file into the Office Photo Editor and just save it as PCX. As I've said and AFAIK, it doesn't change anything except the file format.

The other way, a more complexed one is to load the PNG into Corel or Photoshop and convert it then but that's just an "overkill", like killing a fly with a nuke. :lol:

P.S. I'm a graphic designer so... :D
Leon

Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hmm... I'll fit it into the template, but I need a little refresh about how the depot sprites were done :P

They contained a flag and the metro icon to the right, but how many pixels was the image of the train itself on the left side? :P
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Voyager1 wrote:As for the PNG -> PCX conversion...
Just skip it and ask DJNekkid to use a very recent nightly version of grfcodec and to send some regards to Lakie ;-)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

planetmaker wrote:Just skip it and ask DJNekkid to use a very recent nightly version of grfcodec and to send some regards to Lakie ;-)
Oh, nice. grfcodec can read PNGs? :)
But I guess the palette stuff still applies? Or does even that not matter anymore? :P

EDIT:
Attached are the sprites, and DJ Nekkid's lovely template. In PNG, just get the very recent nightly version of grfcoded DJ :P
Oh, depot sprite added too, had to cut off the bottom row of pixels to fit your template.
Attachments
template OS T1000.png
template OS T1000.png (4.11 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Oslo Metro T1000 in 2cc
Oslo Metro T1000 in 2cc
OS T1000 (Norway).png (14.65 KiB) Viewed 1839 times
Image Image
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Purno wrote:
planetmaker wrote:Just skip it and ask DJNekkid to use a very recent nightly version of grfcodec and to send some regards to Lakie ;-)
Oh, nice. grfcodec can read PNGs? :)
But I guess the palette stuff still applies? Or does even that not matter anymore?
Yes since last night grfcodec can read png :-) . Of course the palettes are not touched by that, they're still necessary.

Return to “Graphics Development”