Terkhen's Personal Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Terkhen's Personal Patch Pack

Post by Terkhen »

Since I discovered OpenTTD and all the features that can be included in patches, every month or so I make a custom build for my personal use (and when we manage to stay out of Team Fortress 2 for a while, for some friends too). Some time ago I decided to release my patch pack in case that it is found useful. Since this is a build I make for myself, it is released "as is". For more information, notes and downloads, you can check:

TPPP Homepage

Edit: There will be no more updates for TPPP.
Last edited by Terkhen on 01 Feb 2010 14:54, edited 19 times in total.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Last edited by Terkhen on 20 Dec 2009 19:43, edited 20 times in total.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

Last edited by Terkhen on 20 Dec 2009 19:43, edited 29 times in total.
Timmaexx
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Terkhen's Personal Patch Pack

Post by Timmaexx »

Hello Terkhen,

I like your 'need to clarify some points about TPPP'!

I also like your PP because of the "Shade Windows" included... ... So I will test it at once!

Greets Tim
SirXavius
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SirXavius »

So far an excellent build, Terkhen.

Two suggestions:

1. In future builds, can you add a short summary of the patches (not just what's there) and how to make use of them. I DL'd your patch, and took it home but i'm not on the Internet at home, so i couldn't find out exactly how to best use what i had.

2. Keep on the look out for excellent patches to add to your collection. What you have now is great, but your post made it sound like you weren't very open to any more. There are (as i'm sure you know) lots of excellent patches that make OTTD even more fun, or at least easier to use.... 8)

So far so good. If there are any problems that are specific to this patch collection, i'll post here. :wink:
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

he basically expressed that it is what HE wants his patch pack to be, and not what USERS (read YOU) wants it to be - if you like it, use it, if you dont like it, dont use it!
he also expressed that he will listen to your ideas but that you might be disappointed because he will not promise adding anything you so desperately want

basically he is saying that he is not your openttd-patch-slave, and is simply giving you access to what he is doing for his private openttd-fun anyway. note that HIS wishes are more important in this case than any others - way to go if you ask me :-)
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

HI Terkhen

I am hopeing your patch pack will live long and last for ever :) i going to post some patchs that i can rember did not need changeing much at all from kgat hope you dont mind

EDIT

You should keep track of what versions of the patchs and dates they came out on
For Community Integrated Version http://code.google.com/p/civopenttd/
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

Hi

here are some of the patchs that i did not see change much or at all

Disable Random Closing and Opening of Industries by Pizen is the latset pacth
as it says but its A LOT better if you want to keep a map looking as you made it in the editor

buy area of land by Pizen lasted updated
faster and easyer to buy land but down side could be used for cheating

Minimum Distance by pavel1269
makes towns and indurstys more distance

Maximum Subsidy Distancer by you
i am hopeing this means your like it

limited_city_size
dose at it says meaning your citys not go mad and take over the map

Tracking viewport
very use full thing if your building when zoomed full out

Some that might be a bit harder to update but would bring great game play

station_build_gui by scoz
makes it A LOT easyer to see what the stations look like

filter_sign_list
very use full to find places on big maps

Improved Breakdowns by Hirundo
bring A LOT of use to the breakdowns

Things that just make it look better

exclusive-news
show you when the other plays buyed the rights to towns

waypoint_whistle
i have never need to change any thing in this patch

diesel_smoke
makes the smoke from the trains look A LOT more real and fun

Automatic giant screens aka Timelapse
great for makeing small movies

patchs that i have not looked in to

Longer history of Finances
would be very nice to see how you did when you frist started out

I realy hope your have a look at theres patchs and see if you like any or not
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

New version of TPPP released. See this post for changes and download. I also uploaded a screenshot: Extra-large maps with smallmap zoom looks incredibly good.

Timmaex: Thank you. I hope you enjoy the patch pack.

SirXavius: There's a brief summary of every patch at the readme now, thanks for your suggestion. If something is not clear, please tell me and I'll try to specify a bit more. As I said, I check every patch that is published (and some old patches). About the subject of suggestions, dihedral got to the point of my introduction. I will read every suggestion and answer it, but since I know that is not very probable that I add patches I felt that the introduction was needed so people don't get their hopes too up. Of course I'm not trying to forbid suggestions: I'm just trying to not give anyone the impression that I will fulfill all of their patching needs.

2007Alain2007: I would prefer that every suggestion is posted here instead of by PM. I do keep track of the versions of every patch I use, I just don't post the versions, revisions, etc here. Assume that every patch included is on its last version, unless I note it specifically. Since I added a summary of each patch, I don't think that TPPP needs a user book. About the patches:

- Disable Random Closing and Opening of Industries: This patch was in my PP for some time. As the devs stated (and I suffered), that patch can't work correctly due to OpenTTD's economical model nature. The industries would just drop to production 0, and it was impossible to remove them or raise their production.

- Buy area of land: It can be used for blocking. Also, I don't buy land that much.

- Minimum distance: As some developer said, the distance between industries can and should be stated by GRF. Also, the way the patch is implemented is not very efficient: try to raise the distances a lot and you will see that map generation consume way more time looking for a suitable place for towns and / or industries.

- Maximum Subsidy Distance: As I stated in the patch's thread, in very big maps you get subsidies between towns / industries that are too far away. The probability of a subsidy should be decreased with its distance to make it playable. Since there was no interest, I forgot about that patch and went with other projects.

- Limited city size: I never had problems with city size.

- Tracking viewport: I would not use the tracking viewport at all: I'm too used to build without it and, even if helpful, I would just keep building as I have always done.

- The station build gui was a staple of my patch packs. But right now the GUI is undergoing big changes in trunk, so I'm not even trying to include patches that rely heavily on changes in GUI code. The same applies to the NewGRF GUI patch, and is already giving me problems with the Shade windows patch.

- Filter Sign List: Another staple of my PP's. Currently it doesn't work with trunk and the updates needed weren't trivial, so it will have to wait until the patch is updated.

- Improved breakdowns: As I said in the introduction, big patchs that change a lot of code are too hard to mantain into a patch pack. Things would get even more complicated with this patch since I already have patches that alter vehicle behaviour (not that they should affect the Improved breakdowns, but you never know).

- Exclusive news: I play with Buy town rights disabled.

- Waypoint whistle and Diesel smoke: I'm not a big fan of patches that just change the way the game looks, but I'll give their sources a look.

EDIT: The waypoint whistle code executes at the TrainController code. This means that, in games with a lot of trains, there would be *a lot* of checks for waypoint whistles each second. I'm not saying that the performance hit would be noticeable, when the TrainController already has a lot of checks, but it doesn't need more checks either. The Diesel smoke code is small and understandable, so I'm going to give it a try. Expect it in TPPP's next release.

- Timelapse: I never had the need to make movies. I'm sure that anyone with enough knowledge to make movies will not have problems downloading the diff and adding this patch to it.

- Longer history of finances: I only use the finance window to check my current status, I never had the need to look back. I think that the operating profit graph is enough for that.
Last edited by Terkhen on 13 Jun 2009 10:02, edited 2 times in total.
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

First - thank you, 2007Alain2007 for the kind words. :D
Terkhen wrote: - Waypoint whistle and Diesel smoke: I'm not a big fan of patches that just change the way the game looks, but I'll give their sources a look.

EDIT: .....The Diesel smoke code is small and understandable, so I'm going to give it a try. Expect it in TPPP's next release.
Thank you, Terkhen for inclusion, although indeed - it is a cosmetic add-on. :]
BTW - just made a diff against r16567.
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Terkhen wrote: - The station build gui was a staple of my patch packs. But right now the GUI is undergoing big changes in trunk, so I'm not even trying to include patches that rely heavily on changes in GUI code. The same applies to the NewGRF GUI patch, and is already giving me problems with the Shade windows patch.

- Filter Sign List: Another staple of my PP's. Currently it doesn't work with trunk and the updates needed weren't trivial, so it will have to wait until the patch is updated.
Maybe the patch queue from planetmaker might help you: http://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/cli ... repository
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Terkhen's Personal Patch Pack [r16514-v02]

Post by Terkhen »

SirkoZ: Thanks for the update!

Ammler: I did not know that patch queue. You guys are doing a great work, and of course it will be helpful for TPPP. Thank you for the info ;)
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

Hi SirkoZ
any time for a nice patch

HI Terkhen
is there any thing i can do to help with this patch pack
Ammler
President
President

Post by Ammler »

Terkhen wrote:You guys are doing a great work.
Well, it is mainly planetmaker. :-)

Usually, he does also update the assigned thread, if there was a "major" change in the patch.

Greets
Ammler
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I don't think so, 2007Alain2007. I have always done my patchpack all by myself and I prefer it that way. Actually, doing this is one of my hobbies :D. But if some day I need help with something I will not hesitate to ask for it; and I'm glad that there's already people willing to help. Thanks for your offer!

That doesn't include helping with issues not directly related with making TPPP: things like testing, checking or suggesting patches or just commenting if you enjoyed it are always welcome.
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

hackalittlebit just updated his signals in tunnels and on bridges V21 looking preaty good now :)

copy paste patch by Bilbo has been updated so you might have a look at that patch becuse it brings faster and easyer ways to build set lay outs of tracks :)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

I know, I check the forums at least twice everyday. V22 of the signals in tunnels and on bridges will be on TPPP's next version as usual. Copy paste patches have very complex codes for inclusion.
2007Alain2007
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by 2007Alain2007 »

Its all redy V24 signals in tunnels and on bridges

but i think hackalittlebit is showing the code chages so that should help A LOT with keeping things up to date :)
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

There's no need to tell me about these changes, 2007Alain2007. As I already told you, I can see them too each time I log to the forums. Also, hackalittlebit is probably just posting the bugs he found (which are interesting for patch development), not all of the changes in the patch code between versions (which aren't interesting for development). I will never ask a patch developer to post the code changes he does to help me with my patch pack: they are already busy with their own projects and they don't need to do my job too.
Terkhen
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Terkhen »

New version of TPPP released. See this post for (a lot of) changes and download. I also have uploaded all of the patches to a google code project here.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”