Who's the cleverest on here?

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Re: Who's the cleverest on here?

Post by Gord »

Just as a note...if you all agree that admin duties are passed onto the monthly winner....all there is to do is change the categories....you don't even have to do that....i left a quiz on another forum i visit running for 2 years and never visited....went back there last week and found it still going on the categories i originally set it at! So theres no extra time or work needed....only if you want to, (e.g. add images to the quiz page, have different colour schemes etc. as well as changing the catgories of course!)

All i ask is that you keep the quiz public and have the quiz open to everyone for every day of the week.

If your happy with this rule....i will pass on hosting duties to the March winner at the start of April.
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

Mr. X wrote:
XeryusTC wrote:Pfft, knowledge questions, I'm not good at those :o I only know really odd facts :P I might be one of the most intelligent people on here though xD
Sorry to break it to you but I might win the useless/odd facts part. I try to memorize Wikipedia and it's sources on a daily basis. :P
Bring it on XD
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
flowover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by flowover »

The trivia this test produces is all pop culture references. Trivial matters are hardly a measure of cleverness and wit. A better test of cleverness would be the insult the person above you thread :) This is how society would measure how sharp one was in Shakespearean days. I say it's a good rule of thumb. I will still try to do these tests though. I got one wrong only because I refused to google for any answer, even one I had a 50/50 certainty on. I expect all other contestants here to show the same honour.
Two points for whoever tells me where rule of thumb came from. These points don't matter.
Dave

Post by Dave »

flowover wrote:The trivia this test produces is all pop culture references. Trivial matters are hardly a measure of cleverness and wit. A better test of cleverness would be the insult the person above you thread :) This is how society would measure how sharp one was in Shakespearean days. I say it's a good rule of thumb. I will still try to do these tests though. I got one wrong only because I refused to google for any answer, even one I had a 50/50 certainty on. I expect all other contestants here to show the same honour.
Two points for whoever tells me where rule of thumb came from. These points don't matter.
What a donk.

"Trivial matters are hardly a measure of cleverness and wit".

Fool.

You can take the moral high ground, but I'll remind you that those making money out of "trivial matters" are better off than you are. Stupid people don't get rich (unless they play some chance bulls***).

This post is so pompous it's almost disturbing. Donk.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
flowover
Engineer
Engineer

Post by flowover »

Those playing jeopardy are in a position to make money off trivia... I'm not sure what else you would be refering too. Being clever and witty are a far cry from being pop quiz champion.

Unless of course you were just insulting the person above you, then I see what you did there. Thats pretty clever. Answering trivia would not be. My 5 year old nephew answers trivia. It's simple.
Niek
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Niek »

Today's quiz is already a lot more difficult. I thought I'd do well in Geography, but several questions were a bit too specific for me.
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Aye - same. 6/10 for my uni subject...

Although I did it very quickly to try and grab some points
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
Louie Armstrong
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Louie Armstrong »

Oh dear only 5/10 today

Official TT-Jewel Staite FanClub
Official TT-Ellen Page FanClub
Official TT-Hayley Williams FanClub
Official TT-generic yet cute emo woman FanClub
jonty-comp wrote:I accidentally wedged my frigate between some rocks. D:
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Woo, 9 out of 10! And I quite honestly didn't cheat - I'm fairly good at geography, plus it seems the ones that I guessed I guessed correctly on. :P
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Fair bit of guesswork for me today, movies tomorrow.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
beeb375
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by beeb375 »

flowover wrote:I got one wrong only because I refused to google for any answer...
Basically what you're saying there is that you got it wrong because you didn't know the answer.
JamieLei wrote:Aye - same. 6/10 for my uni subject...

Although I did it very quickly to try and grab some points
Not worth it, you get 100 points for every correct answer, and only 1 taken off for each second i.e. Score = 100q - t

Got me an 8 today, fairly chuffed with that :)
“Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The ‘x’ makes it sound cool.”
tigerface
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tigerface »

Chrill wrote:You two must have used the web to look answers up. You both have twice the time everyone else did :P
I just like to think about my answers! For example today, I have no idea what or where the island in the first question is, but when I used a bit of logic, thought about the language of the name and looked at the question's category I realised there was only one real answer. This didn't serve me so well on the second question (Counties of South West England), if you catch my meaning. This takes a little longer than blasting through and going on gut instinct. My technique may serve me well, it may not. Certainly did more yesterday than today..

I tried to by cryptic describing the questions, hope I didn't give any away there!
Formerly thanet-bomber.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

There was me thinking the questions were the same for everyone!
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I would have assumed the same. Seems a bit silly if they're different!
tigerface
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tigerface »

Wow I assumed too. This isn't really a "fair test"!!
Formerly thanet-bomber.
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

There is a setting where it can be the same for everyone...i assumed it was automatic but obviously not....would you like me to turn that on?
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

8/10 yeahh
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Dunno why I'm attempting these quizles...
5 out of 10, 2 I knew for certain, 3 guessed correctly :(

Maybe my luck'll change saturday: easier world trivia :P

By the way, can anybody explain the difference between 'intermediate' and 'average'? Those seem to be different difficulty levels, but IMO something between easy and hard can both be intermediate or average...
Badger
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Badger »

Gord wrote:There is a setting where it can be the same for everyone...i assumed it was automatic but obviously not....would you like me to turn that on?
Yes, otherwise it's not a very equal test.
|||| My OTTD/TTDP pics ||||Currently slighty obsessed with getting Platinum Trophies||||Retired moderator||||
Gord
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Gord »

Ok, thats now done...we should all get exactly the same questions from now on.

And what about my idea of each monthly winner hosting the quiz and choosing the categories....should we do that or shall i just hang on to it and change the categories now and again?

Return to “Off-Topic”