Question about UKRS

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Question about UKRS

Post by klogg »

Hi all.
Probably not the right forum,
but somewhere here is the original UKRS thread...

Why can most of the locos go faster than the freight waggons?
I played a game from 192x to 194x and missed faster waggons.
When do they get invented?

klogg
Dave

Post by Dave »

Later on.

This is by design, as most freights were limited to a certain speed.

This still is the case today.

Class 4 trains (the fastest freights) can only do 75mph. Class 6 - the most common freight - can do 60 and Class 7 trains (which are rare) can do 45mph.

Alas, Pikka chooses realism :) All good in my eyes.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

missing food wagon

Post by sootynz »

Hi I've just started using tthis set - but dont appear to have any way of transporting food by rail. Am I missing something, or is it deliberate that there is no food wagon? It's a neat graphic set otherwise
Tks for any help
Sleepie
Director
Director

Re: missing food wagon

Post by Sleepie »

sootynz wrote:Hi I've just started using tthis set - but dont appear to have any way of transporting food by rail. Am I missing something, or is it deliberate that there is no food wagon? It's a neat graphic set otherwise
Tks for any help
You can carry food using the refit feature. The Utility Van for an example could be refitted to carry food afaik.
Denke nie gedacht zu haben, denn das Denken der Gedanken ist gedankenloses Denken.
Wiki Page/Talk, Member of the OpenTTD Scenarios Team
Looking for OpenTTD scenarios? - Here's a List of player-made scenarios. Please help us grow the database with your contributions.
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Thanks Sleepie - however I've tried this and there are no wagons in my set that can be refitted to carry food. Most can be refitted to carry goods. Is there something in the cfg that I should set? (I dont have any trouble with the other sets, eg the US or Canadian.
Pookey
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Pookey »

Are you sure you have checked all of the wagons. It is also possible that none have been released (some don't come out till 1930 or later) that will carry food.
Posted by Pookey...

For Information on TTD Patch Click Here
For Information on Building a Network (FAST) Click Here
For Information on Building a Network as a Challenge (SLOW) Click Here
For Help on the Different Signalling Types Click Here
Before Asking a Question, Please use the Forums Search Function Here and if you do Ask a Question, Please Provide as much Detail as Possible.
If you do not get a Crash Log when TTDPatch Crashes, Follow the Olly Debug Instructions Here and Post the Resulting Screenshot with your Problem.

klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by klogg »

I'm wondering what the brakevan is for.
Is it just a gimmick or hast it some function?

klogg
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

sootynz wrote:Thanks Sleepie - however I've tried this and there are no wagons in my set that can be refitted to carry food. Most can be refitted to carry goods. Is there something in the cfg that I should set? (I dont have any trouble with the other sets, eg the US or Canadian.
Practically everything that carries goods should also be able to carry food. If you're using a food in temperate grf, perhaps it's not setting the cargo classes correctly.
Dave

Post by Dave »

klogg wrote:I'm wondering what the brakevan is for.
Is it just a gimmick or hast it some function?

klogg
Gimmick :shock:

SACRELIGE!

The brakevan was a quintessential part of British rail freight haulage during the days of steam and even as late as the 1980s. Think Caboose.

The brakevan was literally that - a van with brakes. It was used to slow the train down on trains whose wagons did not have brakes. As newer wagons were introduced, the requirement for a brake van dwindled but for a long time a brake van was lumped on the back of trains in this way. During the days of the Class 8 and Class 9 trains (the slowest of all the trains - well, except the fact that Eurostar uses Class 9 these days :twisted: ), a brake van was regularly seen on the back of trains.

In fact, I believe the nuclear flasks used a brakevan for a long while, even though these wagons are braked.

Anyway - as for the UKRS, they were originally a cosmetic function (again for realism), but in TTDPatch (unsure if it works in OTTD), the push-pull feature utilises the brake van. If you want your trains to push-pull, then wang a brake van on the end of a tank engine's train. Should work.

This feature also works with the Class 91. By putting a mail van on the end (which graphically converts into a DVT - Driving Van Trailer), you can use this train as they are used on the East Coast Mainline.

91 - Rake of mk4 coaches - DVT

That way, the locomotive doesn't have to run round at stations and instead is driven from the DVT.

Flickr

klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by klogg »

Thanks for the explanation. Interesting.

Another question about this set:
How "long" are the waggons and locos?
In the standard set everything is one half-tile long.
But in UKRS almost everything seems to have it's own length
and I can only try to get it fit in a four tile station...

klogg
Leviath.NL
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Leviath.NL »

klogg wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Interesting.
Another question about this set:
How "long" are the waggons and locos?
In the standard set everything is one half-tile long.
But in UKRS almost everything seems to have it's own length
and I can only try to get it fit in a four tile station...
klogg
The numbers near the train in the depots are still the amount of tiles the train will cover, I only found this annoying when (auto-)replacing wagons with a longer type.
Dave

Post by Dave »

As a guide, the early freight engines (not tank engines) will fit into a 4-tile station with up to 10 wagons (9 + Brake Van).

It's about mix and matching - autoreplace is annoying like that, but the longest wagons in the end are generally the same length as the original vehicles, as are the locomotives (unless they're specified otherwise - i.e. with a tender or a tank engine or a shortened diesel).

Flickr

Dave

Post by Dave »

To prove my point about brake vans... see this picture from my fotopic page:

http://daveworley.fotopic.net/p39618687.html

Assuming that EWS only came into existence in 1996, brake vans were obviously still useful to the railways at this point.

The only difference is that this van has bogie wheels, whereas I assume the one Pikka uses is four-wheeled.

Flickr

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

That's an SR Queen Mary, Dave. I don't think any of the other railways in the UK had bogie freight brake vans (they did of course have bogie passenger brakes, but they were something completely different).

FWIW, the early freight wagons in the UKRS are 5/8ths length, the early airbraked stock is 6/8, and the later wagons are 8/8ths. When setting up a train of a certain length, you can measure the train by the length counter in OTTD, or by stretching the depot window to the required length in TTDP.
klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by klogg »

PikkaBird wrote:FWIW, the early freight wagons in the UKRS are 5/8ths length, the early airbraked stock is 6/8, and the later wagons are 8/8ths.
Thanks.
I suppose the locos are also either 5/8 or 6/8, right?
I like this set a lot. Good work!

klogg
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

you can resize the depot window to get the right train length.
on the bottom right side is a button which allows to resize the train depot down to 3 tiles length or anything in between up to dunno what...
Just drag it, and a number will appear that indicates the tiles and the number of wagons assuming 8/8th length.
So in the early days, you can size it to 3 and just build until the line is full.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Hi -thanks for those replyingto my problem about not being able to refit any rail wagons to food. On the assumption I was having a conflict with some other graphics, I've tried starting with the fewest graphics sets I could but no success. I still cannot see any wagons that can be refitted to carry food, even starting in 1950 in the temperate. I do have a road vehicle - a refrigerated van. Also using the same cfg, the US set in arctic has rail food wagons.
I'm at a loss, especially as I have a food factory being supplied by 3 farms.
Perhaps Purno, you could add to the set and create a refrigerated rail wagon carrying only food?
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Sorry - I meant to ask Pikkabird to add the refrigerated wagon - its a great set.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

sootynz wrote:Also using the same cfg, the US set in arctic has rail food wagons.
And did you try the UKRS in arctic, or the US set in temperate?

As I said before, if you can't carry food, it's probably the fault of the industry grf, not the UKRS. The UKRS does have vehicles that can carry the standard food in the Arctic climate.
sootynz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by sootynz »

Tks for replying. Its curiouser and curiouser.
I tried UKRS in arctic and there are food wagons there - no problems. This is with everything set identically to running it in Temperate, where no matter what I try they dont appear. I've tried it with only the UKRS and Elrailsw grfs activated, but still the same.

Return to “Graphics Development”