limiting certain vehicles

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

limiting certain vehicles

Post by lobster »

i don't know if this been suggested before.

hmm, isn't it an idea to limit certain (in real-life also limited used) vehicles to a number? maybe a maximum percentage per total vehicles? i got this idea while reading the "DBSET Problem"-topic in the Graphics section.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

I thought about that, but just because the prototype didn't find a limited locomotive useful, why should players? Perhaps a different CEO would have seen things differently.

I like realism, but who's to stop somebody from not being so? :)
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

ofcourse, it should be optional, so only with additional parameters for on and off. i came on this idea because of this conversation:
"Nobody6":
I would like to corret the top speed of the "Br 05"(and a few others) which should be 175 km/h instead of 165 km/h and the year of construction which schould be 1935 instead of 1938.

---

michael blunck:
Speed and introduction year values aren´t "wrong" in the set, but have been slightly adjusted to keep the whole set in balance. A regular speed of 175 km/h for the 05 seems to be "overkill" for the set, even 165 km/h is far too high, IMO (and will be more restricted in v0.9), and introducing it as early as 1935 would render the 01 pretty useless, BTW.

And being on the point of accuracy, 175 km/h have been rarely achieved in service. With WW2 starting, express passenger services had been generally cancelled and after the war, the DB removed the streamline claddings, reduced max pressure from 20 bar to 16 and only used the 05 in light FD services (max 100 km/h?).

---

"Nobody6":
Yes, this speed was rarely reeched in service, because there were no tracks that would have allowed this speed for regular service (apart form the fact that the 05 never came into regular service).
Yes, there was no fast passenger service during WW2, but there ist nothing like a war in tt.
so michael actually decreased the 05's abilities to reduce the overflow of it's usage. if he'd actually built in a limit if could run at it's full potential, but one couldn't be able to just keep on using that single engine.

as long as it's optional, i think this is certainly something to think about.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

astath wrote:so michael actually decreased the 05's abilities to reduce the overflow of it's usage. if he'd actually built in a limit if could run at it's full potential, but one couldn't be able to just keep on using that single engine.
But then players would ask "why can't I build any more 05s?", and "because it's a very good locomotive" doesn't seem like a logical answer.

OTOH, what would actually be needed for this suggestion to become a reality are;
*an "is the player allowed to build this vehicle" callback.
*a "how many vehicles of <ID> does the current player (81) / all players (82) have" 60+ var 2.

And I imagine someone could think of some other uses to put those to.
Last edited by PikkaBird on 19 Jan 2007 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

With as special-case parameter of FF that will return total count of vehicles, and in the case of trains, FE, which will return total count of engines. (heads only? or heads and helpers?)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

> i don't know if this been suggested before. [...]

I don´t think it has been suggested here, but it has somewhere else. E.g., Raichase and me had discussed that point years ago.

Still, there are pros and cons. But if the patch would support this feature and give .grf developers some tools to handle it in one way or the other, I think I´d use it to some degree. Possibly.

regards
Michael
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

I think we should rather go into a different direction, more towards real life.
eg. You get an offer from a manufacturer to try out a new prototype for one year, just as it is now. During this period, a max of 2 or 3 vehicles should be allowed.
After the year, you get another question, asking if you would like to order some of these vehicles.
In case you do, you will be asked to specify the quantity and the different depots you want them delivered to.
Then after 3-4 months, the first of these ordered vehicles would become available in the specified depot and then gradualy, something like 2 vehicles a month are delivered.
Maybe this is something that could be specified on vehicle level, how many of them can be produced per month. Eg a new truck can be delivered much quicker then a new aircraft.
After this, in any depot you go, instead of buying it and having it available immediatly, you actually place an order with the manufacturer and after a while, you will recieve the ordered vehicle.
This would encourage people to think much more ahead in their game and to keep some old vehicles around for backup/starting of new lines.

I have seen in it in Switzerland many times that if they introduce a new connection/additional trains, many times they use old rolling stock in the beginning, until they get the new stuff.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

DaleStan wrote:(heads only? or heads and helpers?)
Well, OTTD allows you to move locomotives between "head" and "helper" at will, and TTDP is 2/3rds of the way there.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

The Irish wrote:I think we should rather go into a different direction, more towards real life.
eg. You get an offer from a manufacturer to try out a new prototype for one year, just as it is now. During this period, a max of 2 or 3 vehicles should be allowed.
After the year, you get another question, asking if you would like to order some of these vehicles.
In case you do, you will be asked to specify the quantity and the different depots you want them delivered to.
Then after 3-4 months, the first of these ordered vehicles would become available in the specified depot and then gradualy, something like 2 vehicles a month are delivered.
Maybe this is something that could be specified on vehicle level, how many of them can be produced per month. Eg a new truck can be delivered much quicker then a new aircraft.
After this, in any depot you go, instead of buying it and having it available immediatly, you actually place an order with the manufacturer and after a while, you will recieve the ordered vehicle.
This would encourage people to think much more ahead in their game and to keep some old vehicles around for backup/starting of new lines.

I have seen in it in Switzerland many times that if they introduce a new connection/additional trains, many times they use old rolling stock in the beginning, until they get the new stuff.
Now this is intriguing. It would introduce a whole new level to the management of a ttdx transportation company, especially when combined with the occasional "incentives" currently available from local authorities. A player would have to seriously consider initiating service with trucks while waiting for delivery of appropriate rail equipment, especially if the player's existing inventory of equipment is stretched to the limit.
Dave

Post by Dave »

wallyweb wrote:
The Irish wrote:I think we should rather go into a different direction, more towards real life.

Now this is intriguing. It would introduce a whole new level to the management of a ttdx transportation company, especially when combined with the occasional "incentives" currently available from local authorities. A player would have to seriously consider initiating service with trucks while waiting for delivery of appropriate rail equipment, especially if the player's existing inventory of equipment is stretched to the limit.
Or not servicing at all. The only drawback is that you'll need a "central" depot, or, for realism, a complex of depots.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

And the a well connected network that allows you to shuffle around your rolling stock into the different areas of the networks.
That's why in my post above, I said it should be possible to select more then one depot and how many engines should be delivered to that depot.

Further more, it could be possible that when order a certain no of vehicles, you would get a discount on the price.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

you're taking it quite far Irish, it will redesign the entire way of playing. but i do find this concept highly interesting. personally, i'd be most interested in the first option (limited vehicles in try-period), but it indeed is much more realistic to simply limit the amount of vehicles that can be built to actual production times. still, it would make it a tough job.

Return to “Suggestions”