German Tram Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Since when do we need permission to post a screenie of a DBSet[XL] game?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

As long as it's just a screenie, we probably don't have to ask permission.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

BeSt-Com wrote:Question to the coders!!!!!
is it possible to use normal and monorail-tracks with one train??
No. And you can't turn catenary on for the third rail type either until Josef implements it, which is not the most pressing thing on his to-do list.

Purno, the Transrapid runs on the third rail type so it would automatically appear here because the monorail/maglev has been converted to tram track/city rail/whatever you call it.
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

then we have to wait until he implented a tram-mode to enjoy all features. :(
I wish these things for a possible tram mode switch:
-catanary support for the 3rd rail type
-3rd rail vehicles can drive on 2nd rail
-no fences on 3rd rail type. :D

The monorails should be overwritten by our trains...
When Bernhard finishes the light-rail, we can publish the set. 8)
Last edited by RK on 02 Jun 2005 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Oracle wrote: Purno, the Transrapid runs on the third rail type so it would automatically appear here because the monorail/maglev has been converted to tram track/city rail/whatever you call it.
Well, the question remains why there´s also a local coach in the menu?
RK wrote: then we have to wait until he implented a tram-mode [...]
As I said before, that´s the reason I stopped my "tram project" a year ago. :|

regards
Michaell
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

MB wrote:
RK wrote: then we have to wait until he implented a tram-mode [...]
As I said before, that´s the reason I stopped my "tram project" a year ago. :|

regards
Michaell
You had too much wishes, which was too dificult to integrate in the patch. We are trying to make a tram with all avaible means. It is just possible without code modifications and of course you have to make a compromis. There is a proverb: The hope dies at last. :wink:
BeSt-Com
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by BeSt-Com »

Purno wrote:As long as it's just a screenie, we probably don't have to ask permission.
yes, it's just a screenie, and don't ask me why, at the moment the tram only works if DB-Set is on. But that's ok, because we want both sets at the same time. But the maglev and the tram uses the same track, so i will code the tram on the ID's of the maglev. (There are not very much maglev in the world, only Shanghai and Emsland/Germany for testing. I don't play so much Shanghai-Szenarios, so i do not need the Transrapid :wink: )

BTW. PURNO, do you have time to paint some nice Trams's??

and the catenary..... we will try to implement them on the track-tiles ... think that must fit.
michael blunck wrote: Well, the question remains why there´s also a local coach in the menu?
wrong codet VarAction2 ? (my VarAction2)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

BeSt-Com wrote:and the catenary..... we will try to implement them on the track-tiles ... think that must fit.
I doubt it, you've only got one layer to work with, and its always drawn under the trains.

Anyway, I've finished most of my sprites. They work in temperate, but Im working on getting them into Arctic and Tropic.

I think my patch-code for allowing normal trains to drive on the third rail system is finished (In theory ;) ). But I haven't compiled it yet. So I'll get a test version running somtime soon and see where we can take this.

The idea is that you use the normal tracktypes for most situations, you use normal trains etc, but when dealing with inner-city environs, you use the third rail, and normal trains can drive allong on the normal tracks, and then onto the tram tracks. That actually happens a lot down here in South Australia. We have a tram line that runs large portions on normal rail and on the city tram tracks. This is what I am trying to emulate with some modifications to the current erail handling.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

Aegir wrote:The idea is that you use the normal tracktypes for most situations, you use normal trains etc, but when dealing with inner-city environs, you use the third rail, and normal trains can drive allong on the normal tracks, and then onto the tram tracks. That actually happens a lot down here in South Australia. We have a tram line that runs large portions on normal rail and on the city tram tracks. This is what I am trying to emulate with some modifications to the current erail handling.
1st thing:
What do you think I wanted it for? Light-rails (or city railways or whatever you call it) is a combination of tram, rapid-transit railway and subway. But your solutions isn't very senseful, because it would be better if you allow 3rd track railways on normal tracks. Otherwise all trains can drive through the city, or are cargo trains on streets normal for you? :lol:

2nd thing:
I don't think that manual catenaries will be a success, it is looking quite ugly with a mast on each tile.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

RK wrote:
Aegir wrote:The idea is that you use the normal tracktypes for most situations, you use normal trains etc, but when dealing with inner-city environs, you use the third rail, and normal trains can drive allong on the normal tracks, and then onto the tram tracks. That actually happens a lot down here in South Australia. We have a tram line that runs large portions on normal rail and on the city tram tracks. This is what I am trying to emulate with some modifications to the current erail handling.
1st thing:
What do you think I wanted it for? Light-rails (or city railways or whatever you call it) is a combination of tram, rapid-transit railway and subway. But your solutions isn't very senseful, because it would be better if you allow 3rd track railways on normal tracks. Otherwise all trains can drive through the city, or are cargo trains on streets normal for you? :lol:
And thats why the sensible player would obviously not route freight through a city like that. Also, I want to run things like the Doodlebug. Or other light diesel powered gear. Not specifically like trams, but just travelling through suburbs etc.... My initial code will be just that, initial. Make sure the concept works, than it can be improved upon. Letting normal trains drive on the third track type is incredibly easy. Its getting third track type vehicles working on normal rail that I will have to figure out.

RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

Aegir wrote:
RK wrote:
1st thing:
And thats why the sensible player would obviously not route freight through a city like that. Also, I want to run things like the Doodlebug. Or other light diesel powered gear. Not specifically like trams, but just travelling through suburbs etc.... My initial code will be just that, initial. Make sure the concept works, than it can be improved upon. Letting normal trains drive on the third track type is incredibly easy. Its getting third track type vehicles working on normal rail that I will have to figure out.
Good luck! It must be possible, because normal trains can drive on electrified tracks yet.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I'm assuming it wouldn't be a blanket permission, it would be settable on a per-vehicle basis. E.g. the Doodlebug can use the tram tracks, but the Big Boy can't. This would also be useful for the French set, so the TGV trains can use normal tracks at stations, but go onto their own dedicated line for the long hauls.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

krtaylor wrote:I'm assuming it wouldn't be a blanket permission, it would be settable on a per-vehicle basis. E.g. the Doodlebug can use the tram tracks, but the Big Boy can't. This would also be useful for the French set, so the TGV trains can use normal tracks at stations, but go onto their own dedicated line for the long hauls.
:shock:

/me hides under a table and wimpers

The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

:D

But I like the idea. And in fact, there is a Cargotram in Dresden (Germany) that transports Car-parts from one VW-factory to the other on the normal tramtracks as well.

Oh, and Krtaylor, thanks for your input about the french set. It might be nice to have designated Highspeed tracks for TGV, but connecting to normal electrified tracks near stations.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

RK wrote:
1st thing:
What do you think I wanted it for? Light-rails (or city railways or whatever you call it) is a combination of tram, rapid-transit railway and subway. But your solutions isn't very senseful, because it would be better if you allow 3rd track railways on normal tracks. Otherwise all trains can drive through the city, or are cargo trains on streets normal for you? :lol: :D
Normal? No, but it does happen, witness this shot of a CNR Intermodal train heading down West 17th Street in Erie, PA in 1999. This track was relocated in 2000, but it shows you that yes, freight trains can run through the streets ;) Be cool to replicate this if I need to avoid a long reroute around a city
Attachments
CNR 5444 on street track in Erie, Pennsylvania
CNR 5444 on street track in Erie, Pennsylvania
CN5444-Erie.png (478.62 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Wasn't that the reason why they used a different track gauge for trams in Toronto? So that they wouldn't have freight trains running through the city?
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

Wow, Dan, I've never seen anything like that before. When it was mentioned that normal trains may switch to tram tracks I thought it sounded like a ... silly..idea. But after looking at that pic I guess it isn't.

Good stuff! :D
RK
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RK »

Ok that is a reason *lol*
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

No. It's not. Normal trains do not switch to tram tracks, or at least haven't in years. That track in Erie isn't a tram track, and never was; it's ordinary railway track that happens to be laid in a street. They used to do that a lot, before cars and traffic.

Occasionally normal track gets retired and taken over by a tram system (e.g. Boston), and there are sometimes boundaries where they meet and local freight cars are transferred to the tram system for local delivery with a steeplecab (at least through the 1950s); and there are many situations where trams run on tram tracks in the city, then normal mainline tracks at higher speed between cities; but you don't get normal heavy freights on tram track.

Also, I believe nowadays it is illegal for normal rail freight equipment to share tracks with light-rail cars, because if there's a collision the passenger light-rail cars will be squashed like a bug by the heavy freight.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, again, you 'can' get heavy freight on streetcar tracks, A LOT of interurban lines hauled coal and such through streets, but it wasn't common. Basically, if we had the option to run track through streets and link it up with our heavy freight mainlines, who's to stop people mixing streetcars with SD40-2's?

Those of us who want to keep both separate, we can, for those who want to mix, why shouldn't they? It's their game. Personally, I'd use the street trackage for both streetcar and non streetcar use. It'll come in REALLY handy with the interurbans. I also however want the chance to run a freight or a passenger train through the middle of a town on street trackage, I like the look of it.

Return to “Graphics Development”