In game content downloads

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: In game content downloads

Post by Rubidium »

planetmaker wrote:Hm... Also not for a newer version?

Fair enough though that I cannot change the license for an already existing file in the DB... that would lead to too many inconsistencies.
For newer files you can set another the license, but that doesn't change the license of what you've uploaded.

Regarding the GPL 'issue'. GPL X or newer means that you can license it under GPL X or any later version. Saying it's licensed under GPL X or GPL X+1 is thus not wrong.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

Rubidium wrote:Regarding the GPL 'issue'. GPL X or newer means that you can license it under GPL X or any later version. Saying it's licensed under GPL X or GPL X+1 is thus not wrong.
It is not wrong, but it does not tell the whole truth. For end users it is unimportant, but for developers, who may want to use such code in their own AI it may make quite a difference.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

I guess it is a small effort to also add GPL v2/v3 .. but what license to put under it .. ;)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

CC-0 v1.0 is now available as license for BaNaNaS .. let me know if there are any problems with it :)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

TrueBrain wrote:I guess it is a small effort to also add GPL v2/v3 .. but what license to put under it .. ;)
What's wrong with having the following options:
GPL v2+ (+ for "or (at your option) any later version")
GPL v2
GPL v3+
GPL v3
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

There is no license "GPLv2 or later". What is means that you can redistribute it with any license that matches the "GPLv2 or later". In this context you just chose which of the "GPLv2 or later" licenses you want to have applied for this redistribution. That still means that people are allowed to significantly modify it and add their version of it with GPLv3.
I see no point in making the system more complex than needed. If you REALLY want to have both licenses present you can always chose custom and provide your own text.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Yexo wrote:
TrueBrain wrote:I guess it is a small effort to also add GPL v2/v3 .. but what license to put under it .. ;)
GPL v2
GPL v3+
GPL v3
Nothing (as that is kind of what I suggested ;)). Still leaves the problem: what license to put under it :p Ghehe :)

Either way .. I personally think a person should choice either v2 or v3, and not 'leave it to the user' ... but okay, that is just me :)
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

[quote="TrueBrain"][quote="Yexo"][quote="TrueBrain"]I guess it is a small effort to also add GPL v2/v3 .. but what license to put under it .. ;)[/quote]
GPL v2
GPL v3+
GPL v3[/quote]
Nothing (as that is kind of what I suggested ;)). Still leaves the problem: what license to put under it :p Ghehe :)[/quote]Sorry, but I fail to see the problem here. for "GPL v2" you put the gpl v2 licence under it, without the "or any later version" clause. For "GPL v2+" you put the gpl v2 licence under it with the "or any later version" clause.

[quote]Either way .. I personally think a person should choice either v2 or v3, and not 'leave it to the user' ... but okay, that is just me :)[/quote]I disagree , since v2 is incompatible with v3. I prefer v2+ so it's compatible with both, and code can be reused in both gpl v2 and gpl v3 projects.

Sorry, scrap that. I propose just attached the lowest version of the license.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Yexo wrote: Sorry, scrap that. I propose just attached the lowest version of the license.
So than nothing has to change :) As you can already do so ;)

It will be like that for the time being. You can pick either GPLv2 or GPLv3, and you can put in your source files it is a '+' or what ever. If you really want to be explicit, attach your own specified GPLv2+ or what ever version :)
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

TrueBrain wrote:CC-0 v1.0 is now available as license for BaNaNaS .. let me know if there are any problems with it :)
I just managed to upload my newgrf with CC-0, so no problem.

Just one thing, the upload form says "try to reuse existing tags", but what are these? I was unable to find any tags on the bananas web, links in all files are links to webpage/forum thread of that file.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

The tags are only visible in-game currently. And then you need too look on each GRF to see what tags they have used. A full list of tags would indeed be handy as the number of GRFs on BaNaNaS is quite large.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Maybe we can compile one at the manual. That could work reasonably well; at least until something is invented that reads all existing tags from the database directly.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

FooBar wrote:Maybe we can compile one at the manual. That could work reasonably well; at least until something is invented that reads all existing tags from the database directly.
Compiling them manually is redundent when a simple sql statement can get them.
fanioz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fanioz »

I've not found any button to delete my content on Manager Panel on http://bananas.openttd.org/en/manager/. Am I miss a thing here ? :roll:
Correct me If I am wrong - PM me if my English was bad :D

**[OpenTTD AI]** Image
***[NewGRF] *** Image
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

You can set a very low maximum OpenTTD-version to disable the content from appearing in the list. However I think the system was designed so that if you load a savegame and have md5 of a grf and possible also other contents like AIs you can ask the content-server for that content even if it has been 'removed' from the download list.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Feature request :)

Could the Manager view display download counts (as many of the other views do), but in this case, for all versions?

As a newgrf author, I find it useful to know how many downloads there have been of each version.

cheers,

Andy
zc15-nyonker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zc15-nyonker »

I use this feature all the time for hightmaps, ect. What I am wondering is, when will the 32bpp graphics be put on there? It is hard to stay up to date with the new graphics. Or will it not be on there unit the project is done?
A fan of OTTD, Transport Empire
My creations: World Across Scenario
Steam power & local factories are the answer to America's problems. Oh, yeah. Representatives that represent are needed too.
tb2571989
Director
Director

Post by tb2571989 »

PM'd RE Signature size.
What about you? Will you join me when the time comes to be a hero?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Please leave that to the report function and moderators.

Return to “General OpenTTD”