Adjusting vehicle speeds BELOW vehicle maximum speed

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Patgreg
Engineer
Engineer

Adjusting vehicle speeds BELOW vehicle maximum speed

Post by Patgreg »

I was wondering if there is a way to REDUCE a vehicle speed to a percentage of it's maximum speed.
This would enable me to 'Fine Tune' my subsidury routes. Yes I could buy a slower vehicle or some such but was hoping to apply it on a per vehicle basis. I am NOT looking to increase speeds to overcome a sets designed speeds, just ask my drivers to go slower!
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Adjusting vehicle speeds BELOW vehicle maximum speed

Post by AndersI »

Patgreg wrote:I was wondering if there is a way to REDUCE a vehicle speed to a percentage of it's maximum speed.
Not exactly a percentage, but if you use the wagonspeed setting, it' s just a matter of using a set with wagons with different speed settings and build your train with the relevant ones. I don't know if there is any set with differentiated passenger wagons, though.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Patgreg wrote:I was wondering if there is a way to REDUCE a vehicle speed to a percentage of it's maximum speed.
Not really. The best way to implement this would be by introducing a general speed limit with regards to the track/line. There had been attempts for this in the past (http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=501484#p501484 and follow on) but apparently, nobody seemed to be interested.

[wagonspeedlimits]
AndersI wrote:I don't know if there is any set with differentiated passenger wagons, though.
There are. But, at least in TTDPatch, waggonspeedlimits don´t count in presence of a livery override which seems to be the normal case when using coaches.

regards
Michael
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

use a slower engine/train? ;)
Member of the
ImageImage
Patgreg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Patgreg »

I agree with all the previous posts and understand the situation.
However I was wondering if anybody thought it POSSIBLE (not probable) that a means might be made available to adjust speeds of individual vehicles (when in a depot).
If so then I would investigate further on my own as I am capable of the necessary programing but don't know wher to start in this instance. Obviously it will take a long time and great effort to learn the in's and out's of the system but I feel that I should give it a go.
any suggestions on how would be appreciated.
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Patgreg wrote:I am capable of the necessary programing but don't know wher to start in this instance. Obviously it will take a long time and great effort to learn the in's and out's of the system but I feel that I should give it a go.
any suggestions on how would be appreciated.
The complete NewGrf manual can be found here.

It´s already possible to change a number of vehicle properties incl speed by using a callback, e.g. by refitting the vehicle when in a depot.

However, this seems to be unsuitable on the basis of individual vehicles, especially as it seems to be rather unrealistic. The more realistic and more useful approach would be to revive the idea of speed limits for tracks.

@developers
Maybe this could be envisaged when moving on with the NewRoutes project?

regards
Michael
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

I understand your problem Patgreg and I too found it ridiculous with some vehicles speed - especially as some of them went like rockets throw my cities and everything. However, I solved it by manually changing the .nfo-files to the maximum speed I wanted them to go with, and now it both works and looks much more realistic! :P

Need to check which particular part I changed though as I'm not sure at the moment. It's a couple of years ago I received some help on this one...
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Patgreg
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Patgreg »

my investigation continues - trying to get my head around the way TTD handles speed info. Its been 26 years since I did any low level programing like this so please don't hold your breath. I am trying to find a way to add a speed control to the vehicle window so that I can control the speed of individual consists and road vehicles. ambitious yes but interesting.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Just a few thoughts on this question:
In NARS, regearing, invoked via a refit option, alters the maximum speed of an engine.
In various sets, speed limits are imposed on a train by a wagon that has a lower maximum speed than the consist's engine and/or other wagons.
In the patch, a level crossing tile reduces the train's speed and blocks RV entry.
Bridges can be coded with speed limits.
A standard gauge train knows not to enter a narrow gauge tile (and vice versa). Similarly, rail, monorail and mag-lev are mutually exclusive and an electric train will only access electrified track.
So, what does all this mean? It means that we know that train speeds are adjustable. It means that we know that a train is able to determine a tile type ahead of it.
My suggestion (some patching may be required) is, using some sort of signaling function, (Graphically a speed limit sign?) create a speed limited block of track tiles, using the entry sign at the other end of the block to lift the restriction or perhaps to reset it to another limit or the default.
I suspect this might be similarly possible for road tiles.

I will now go and hide somewhere, pending comment from a dev. :wink:

Return to “Suggestions”